PDA

View Full Version : Something weird with the DESS

sddinnh
08-04-2014, 08:32 AM
My bike has started throwing DESS errors (P0513) in the past couple days, but if you shut it off, then turn it back on without removing the key, it goes away until you turn it off again. Next time you go to start it, same thing. So last night, I tried turning off the Bluetooth sending unit in the frunk (don't ask why - I have no idea why that occurred to me), but suddenly the bike stopped throwing DESS errors. I'll drive it using the speakers a couple days with the Bluetooth off and see how it goes. Weird huh?

Roadster Renovations
08-04-2014, 03:53 PM
My bike has started throwing DESS errors (P0513) in the past couple days, but if you shut it off, then turn it back on without removing the key, it goes away until you turn it off again. Next time you go to start it, same thing. So last night, I tried turning off the Bluetooth sending unit in the frunk (don't ask why - I have no idea why that occurred to me), but suddenly the bike stopped throwing DESS errors. I'll drive it using the speakers a couple days with the Bluetooth off and see how it goes. Weird huh?
Was at the dealer last week and they told me about a recall on the DESS. Has to do with the key transmitting though the antenna. Might want to give them a call before you get stranded. They said that if it happened you would get a DESS displayed and the bike wouldn't start. By cycling the key several times it would work. Might be worth a call to them! btw: My '14 was fine. Guess it's only a problem for some.

Bob Denman
08-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Yup! Good catch; Doc! :thumbup:

sddinnh
08-04-2014, 05:35 PM
The dealer was closed yesterday and today so I'll call him tomorrow. Hope he'll have the parts because I'm leaving for Canada Sunday. Too bad too, because this the first time it's even hiccuped in 7800 miles. If it's not going to be bullet proof, they need a way to bypass it.