PDA

View Full Version : 1st EVER ISSUE

SPYD3R
08-03-2014, 01:24 PM
OK, i've been bragging for years now that my '09 RS/SE5 has had NO issues.....

well here's my 1st ever issue....
riding along, and the 'CHECK ENGINE' light comes on, and across my cluster i read CHECK TRANSMISSION....
then i stop, shut her down, wait a minute, cycle the key 3X's, and start her up again.... check engine light is OFF....
ride down the road a bit; BINGO, 'CHECK ENGINE' light comes on and CHECK TRANSMISSION shows up again....
did the ON/OFF thingy, and ride off again....

seems like i should be getting a CODE of some kind other than just the CHECK TRANNY statement....
checked my oil level, and it's right on the 'mark'....
any1 have any idea wha'sup'wit'dis'ting....??? :popcorn: should i be concerned about this......? :dontknow:
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

Cruzr Joe
08-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Most obvious thing i would do is check my oil, all these things appear oil related.

Cruzr Joe

SPYD3R
08-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Most obvious thing i would do is check my oil, all these things appear oil related.

Cruzr Joe

CHECKED, IT'S FULL....... :thumbup:

JKMSPYDER
08-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Time for a trip to the dealer Dan. They will probably be able to pull up a code on BUDS.

coz
08-03-2014, 03:45 PM
is it still shifting ok? sporter spyder( stan) had a similar issue recently. turns out it was the paddle shifter gone bad and a sensor. shift sensor maybe? not sure. good luck with it.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Dan,
I didn't see you mentioning trying to pull any codes...
They don't pop up automatically; you've got to go get them. :shocked:
Next time that it doe it; preferably while it's doing it... grab codes for us. :thumbup:

SPYD3R
08-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Dan,
I didn't see you mentioning trying to pull any codes...
They don't pop up automatically; you've got to go get them. :shocked:
Next time that it doe it; preferably while it's doing it... grab codes for us. :thumbup:

Bob;
i will.....
but since i've NEVER had any issues whatsoever in 43,000 miles, i don't even know how to pull up a code.....
plz advise....
Dan

Bob Denman
08-03-2014, 05:24 PM
1. Put in the key and turn it on.
2. Press mode button until you see "hours" displayed.
3. Press and hold both buttons on both handle bars
4. Toggle the momentary bright light button five times rapidly (must be done within two seconds).

If you fumble, release the buttons and try again.

You should get a list of error codes that you can scroll through. Write them down and then post them here.

David
With ignition switch on (or engine running) press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display.
Press and hold MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed. This can be looked up in the shop manual (available on CD) or you can ask on SpyderLovers and someone will look it up for you.
If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.
I believe this procedure is in your manual.
Read the code.
4. Toggle the momentary bright light button five times rapidly (must be done within two seconds).

You should get a list of error codes that you can scroll through. Write them down and then post them here.

SPYD3R
08-03-2014, 05:35 PM

David
With ignition switch on (or engine running) press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display.
Press and hold MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed. This can be looked up in the shop manual (available on CD) or you can ask on SpyderLovers and someone will look it up for you.
If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.
Read the code.

THX BOB......
i'll do this tomorrow PM....
and i'll post the results here....
thx again pal.... u r the BEST....
DAN P

MikeinGA
08-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Check the battery and connections. I talked to a Spyder owner at Maggie Valley Owners event and he had the problem. He had a bad battery, when he started the his RS and it ran for a bit it give him codes. I always carry a volt meter. I checked the battery and got 12.8 volts started the engine and the voltage dropped to 9.8 volts and he got a check engine light. He found a new battery and rode the next day with no problems. Lose battery cables can give the same type of effect. That's IMHO.

Mike

SPYD3R
08-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Check the battery and connections. I talked to a Spyder owner at Maggie Valley Owners event and he had the problem. He had a bad battery, when he started the his RS and it ran for a bit it give him codes. I always carry a volt meter. I checked the battery and got 12.8 volts started the engine and the voltage dropped to 9.8 volts and he got a check engine light. He found a new battery and rode the next day with no problems. Lose battery cables can give the same type of effect. That's IMHO.

Mike

Thx Mike....
i'll give that a GO tomorrow......
Dan

Bob Denman
08-04-2014, 06:32 AM
THX BOB......
i'll do this tomorrow PM....
and i'll post the results here....
thx again pal.... u r the BEST....
DAN P
Not me... :opps:

This PLACE... is the best! :D

SPYD3R
08-04-2014, 11:44 AM
BOB, MIKE, COZ....
I FOLLOWED THE PROVIDED DIRECTIONS, AND WHAT I GOT WAS "NO ACTIVE FAULT CODE" ACROSS MY GAGE CLUSTER.....
NOW WHAT....? :gaah:

I THINK I'LL GO FOR A RIDE AND GIVE THIS SOME THOUGHT...... B'BYE..... :thumbup:
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

ChasCS
08-04-2014, 11:50 AM
I kept hoping, there would be a Roadster Spyder specific magazine published for us to enjoy.

Perhaps in the future. The first edition will appear, by surprise to us all.

I hope you get your bike back in order soon.

Chas

Bob Denman
08-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Dan,
Well... that's KIND OF good news...:thumbup:
It just doesn't give us any clues for you to follow! :gaah:

Good Luck!

SPYD3R
08-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Dan,
Well... that's KIND OF good news...:thumbup:
It just doesn't give us any clues for you to follow! :gaah:

Good Luck!

thx again for your help Bob.....
i'll try 1 more thing.... disconnect the battery, wait an hour or so, then take her for a good work-out.....
i'll let you know the results....
Dan

I THINK I FOUND IT BOYZ & GIRLZ......
MY NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE WAS LOOSE.......
TIME WILL TELL NOW....

I THINK DATZ WHAT IT WUZ.....
JUST GOT BACK FROM A QUICK 15+ MILES RIDE WITH 'NO CODES' POP'n UP.......
FOLKS; MAKE SURE U'R BATTERY CABLES ARE LOCKED DOWN TITE......
THX FOR ALL THE HELP FROM EVERY1...... WHAT A GR8 SITE THIS IS.....
since this was my FAULT, b'kuz i didn't tite'n down the cables when i changed out the battery.... i would say dat i am still @ ZERO ISSUES.... any1 agree....?????

SPYD3R
08-04-2014, 01:46 PM
and a SPECIAL THANKS to Bob, Mike & Coz for their guidance and concern.... :2thumbs: YOU GUYS R THE BEST.... :ohyea:
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

ChasCS
08-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Too bad all our problems and concerns weren't a screw turn away from 'all fixed'.

Glad you may have found yours.

Chas

Bob Denman
08-04-2014, 01:56 PM
:clap: :yes::ohyea::yes:
:congrats:

oldgoat
08-04-2014, 03:19 PM
David
Read the code.

I had tried many times before to get the 'code pull up' to work on my '08 but it never did.

Tried this one you listed & worked just fine. Proud to say I have no codes!

Thanks

ps: how to set/adjust the clock is in the manual too but I always have a heck of a time getting it to be on a 12 hour setting rather than 24 hr & to get am or pm as required by my time of day. Takes as long to get the correct time set as it does to change the oil !

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Good luck on it:yikes:

coz
08-04-2014, 05:04 PM
loose battery cables, or a '' cranky '' battery are the root of many spyder issues. i hope that's all it is.:thumbup: toothed washers on your cable bolts is also a very good idea. :thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Dan,
Is your bike still running the original Battery? :dontknow:

SPYD3R
08-04-2014, 06:28 PM
COZ, i used a 'toothed' washer.... this time....
BOB, i replaced my battery just b4 heading out to UTAH last May (2013).... then it acted up on the way home, just north of Atlanta.... brought it back, it had a bad cell, and BATTERIES + gave me a new one... and it was one grade above the one i originally purchased.... nice people....
Dan P

Bob Denman
08-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I had to ask... :D
We've got some folks in here still running around with the origianal batteries in their 2008s!
I guess that they just don't make them like they used to!! :roflblack:

coz
08-04-2014, 07:42 PM
seems to be a first rate operation. i've only heard good things about them. that's where i'll get my next battery.:thumbup: