PDA

View Full Version : I just spent the best $800 I ever spent

sddinnh
08-01-2014, 01:38 PM
on my Spyder. I already had put the BajaRon sway bar on and although the ride was better, It still wasn't what I was looking for. The Elkas 1+R's just went on this morning along with a recheck and slight adjustment to the Laser alignment. What a difference in both handling and ride. It not only takes the corners much better, it handles the rough roads much nicer now as well. So with all three done, the suspension is finally where I want it. :thumbup:

murphybrown
08-01-2014, 01:53 PM
on my Spyder. I already had put the BajaRon sway bar on and although the ride was better, It still wasn't what I was looking for. The Elkas 1+R's just went on this morning along with a recheck and slight adjustment to the Laser alignment. What a difference in both handling and ride. It not only takes the corners much better, it handles the rough roads much nicer now as well. So with all three done, the suspension is finally where I want it. :thumbup:
:thumbup::thumbup::yes::yes:

Netminder
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Love my Elkas!:thumbup::thumbup:One of the best mods!

Chupaca
08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Glad you you found that perfect mix..now go out and enjoy it...:2thumbs::clap::ohyea::ohyea:

sddinnh
08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Getting there Kayrl, getting there. I leave for 2 weeks up onto the Gaspe in Quebec next Friday with a group I ride every year with first. Then the real prep for Alaska starts.

Questions
08-05-2014, 05:55 PM
I just got quoted about the same amount from my dealer. Still trying to decide and come to terms with the purchase. I have the Baja Ron links, sway bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid, on my 14 RTL and had the bike Laser aligned prior to taking delivery in April.

It seems these are the solution to the bottoming out I have been experiencing and Elka tells me they are selling alot of them for the same issue. I can tell you that the Bump Skid has paid for itself MANY times over since April. But still the thought of having to purchase New shocks for a Bike with less than 1500 miles on it AND THEN having to have it re-aligned is seriously souring my Joy of this bike.:banghead:

Since you too are from NH you are probably on similar roads to me. Do you see a serious difference??

Sure would be nice if BRP would come up with some sort of rebate through their dealers or something....:popcorn:

sddinnh
08-05-2014, 06:13 PM
I just got quoted about the same amount from my dealer. Still trying to decide and come to terms with the purchase. I have the Baja Ron links, sway bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid, on my 14 RTL and had the bike Laser aligned prior to taking delivery in April.

It seems these are the solution to the bottoming out I have been experiencing and Elka tells me they are selling alot of them for the same issue. I can tell you that the Bump Skid has paid for itself MANY times over since April. But still the thought of having to purchase New shocks for a Bike with less than 1500 miles on it AND THEN having to have it re-aligned is seriously souring my Joy of this bike.:banghead:

Since you too are from NH you are probably on similar roads to me. Do you see a serious difference??

Sure would be nice if BRP would come up with some sort of rebate through their dealers or something....:popcorn:

Being an old "racer", I'm used to having to spend money on a new bike to get it up to "snuff" so the expense didn't bother me. As long as it does what I need it to. Since the factory is interested in profit, they are going to use the cheapest thing that will work, not necessarily the best thing. First, changing out the shocks shouldn't require a re-alignment. I had mine touched up because the front tires were cupping.

I did mine in stages. First I drove it 3000 miles "stock" and then had the service done and at the same time did the sway bar, links, and had it lazer aligned. Then I drove it another 3000 miles and had the rear tire replaced with a 215 / 60 / 15 Michelin Hydroedge. It was then we noticed the cupping, so I replaced the shocks with the Elka 1+R's, replaced the front tires, had the tires carefully balanced, and had the alignment re-done. Are they worth it, yup worth every penny on the roads we have around here. Not only does it handle better, but the change in the ride quality is great.

I'd invite you to ride it, but I'm headed for two weeks on the Gaspe this weekend then going down to visit a friend in NJ so I won't be around again until early September.

Questions
08-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Being an old "racer", I'm used to having to spend money on a new bike to get it up to "snuff" so the expense didn't bother me. As long as it does what I need it to. Since the factory is interested in profit, they are going to use the cheapest thing that will work, not necessarily the best thing. First, changing out the shocks shouldn't require a re-alignment. I had mine touched up because the front tires were cupping.

I did mine in stages. First I drove it 3000 miles "stock" and then had the service done and at the same time did the sway bar, links, and had it lazer aligned. Then I drove it another 3000 miles and had the rear tire replaced with a 215 / 60 / 15 Michelin Hydroedge. It was then we noticed the cupping, so I replaced the shocks with the Elka 1+R's, replaced the front tires, had the tires carefully balanced, and had the alignment re-done. Are they worth it, yup worth every penny on the roads we have around here. Not only does it handle better, but the change in the ride quality is great.

I'd invite you to ride it, but I'm headed for two weeks on the Gaspe this weekend then going down to visit a friend in NJ so I won't be around again until early September.

Thanks for the insight! I'm probably going to try to have it done while on my vacation in a couple weeks. Assuming I can find the $$... Have a safe trip! You got WAYY more miles on than me. I picked mine up from Profile in Conway in April, and have around 1500 miles on it. Only get to use it on weekends though.

sddinnh
08-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the insight! I'm probably going to try to have it done while on my vacation in a couple weeks. Assuming I can find the $$... Have a safe trip! You got WAYY more miles on than me. I picked mine up from Profile in Conway in April, and have around 1500 miles on it. Only get to use it on weekends though.

Be aware that these shocks are built for your weight and what you are carrying . It took about 2 weeks to get mine from the factory. You can also save a couple hundred by getting just the Stage 1's without the rebound control settings (1+R's). Unless you (or your mechanic) has a lot of shock experience, I wouldn't recommend plying around with the rebound setting anyway.

cuznjohn
08-05-2014, 06:26 PM
i agree the shocks made a big difference i had mine done today and i am amazed how the bike handles now

sddinnh
08-05-2014, 06:29 PM
i agree the shocks made a big difference i had mine done today and i am amazed how the bike handles now

Yah, isn't it neat John. :yes::yes::yes:

Jdsd1
09-12-2014, 07:21 PM

Can you details how the bike handles differently? I have the sway bar but I just cant get a handle on how the Shocks improve the ride/handling. Thanks for the input.

tigerdr
09-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Getting there Kayrl, getting there. I leave for 2 weeks up onto the Gaspe in Quebec next Friday with a group I ride every year with first. Then the real prep for Alaska starts.

Some snow showers on the mountain in the Gaspesie region this week due to a cold front from north pole. You will be ok if you stay along the coast. Have a nice trip up here in Quebec.

I will be there in the Gaspe area between october 4-7.

zamfield
09-12-2014, 07:56 PM
That's great news... Should be getting mine next week!