PDA

View Full Version : Can-am Sena sm10 question

BaldEagle
07-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Hello fellow SLovers. Bought new 2014 RTL and had dealer install the Can-Am Sena SM10 harness. The sending unit was mounted in the frunk "per factory recommendation". The battery in the sending unit would not hold a charge and was discharged after a couple of days even just parked in garage with ignition off. Had unit replaced and same thing with new one. :gaah:I charged unit with external charger till light turns blue indicating full charge but its dead in couple of days. Charging light comes on when ignition is on but never turns blue after riding. Asked the tech to check if battery was draining power by short. Claim harness is working properly. Does this unit need to be wired directly to the bike battery to maintain charge? Battery in helmet units hold charge for weeks. This is my first experience with bluetooth. My 2012 was wired to helmets. Any suggestions? Thanks. :doorag:
By the way, when the unit is fully charged, the system works fine and is paired with everything. When battery dies, I lose the pairing with the radio.

billybovine
07-30-2014, 08:24 AM
You have to turn it off after you are done riding for the day and turn it back on before riding. It is only powered as long as the key is on and the internal battery will run down in standby mode. That is the way it is setup.

What you can do is and is what I do. If you have 12V socket in the front trunk. Move the fuse in the fuse box to make it always on. Plug in the 12V power adapter that came with your SM10 and use that for power.

oldguyinTX
07-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Hello fellow SLovers. Bought new 2014 RTL and had dealer install the Can-Am Sena SM10 harness. The sending unit was mounted in the frunk "per factory recommendation". The battery in the sending unit would not hold a charge and was discharged after a couple of days even just parked in garage with ignition off. Had unit replaced and same thing with new one. :gaah:I charged unit with external charger till light turns blue indicating full charge but its dead in couple of days. Charging light comes on when ignition is on but never turns blue after riding. Asked the tech to check if battery was draining power by short. Claim harness is working properly. Does this unit need to be wired directly to the bike battery to maintain charge? Battery in helmet units hold charge for weeks. This is my first experience with bluetooth. My 2012 was wired to helmets. Any suggestions? Thanks. :doorag:
By the way, when the unit is fully charged, the system works fine and is paired with everything. When battery dies, I lose the pairing with the radio.

923309233192332 I removed the SM 10 from the bracket it was installed on because the USB connection got bent by the luggage in the Frunk. Attached it to the back wall of the Frunk with heavy duty Velcro. The SM10 only charges when the key is on. When you shut the :ani29: off, the SM10 no longer charges. Make sure that you manually turn off the SM10 if the :ani29: is going to sit for more than a couple of hours, especially overnight. I sometimes, just for the heck of it, bring mine in the house and charged it overnight. It takes about 4 hours to fully charge. Hope this helps & good luck.

paulbrinker
07-30-2014, 10:30 AM
I moved the SM10 unit to the center glove box. Attached the bracket with pop rivets and had to drill a hole through the left side to bring the wires in. Now I have access anytime and I turn it off after the days ride. Plus it allows access to the reset button if the headsets do not reconnect.

BaldEagle
07-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Appreciate the responses folks. had a feeling that key off is not the same as SM10 off. Love all of the ideas. Decisions, decisions.:cheers:

ThreeWheels
08-23-2014, 05:30 AM
I'm expecting to have the same issue.
I appreciate the heads up.
Poor design to install a device remotely that requires the power switch to be operated manually all the time.
I'll look into leaving the SM 10 on all the time.
Does anyone have any idea what the parasitic draw is ?
I'm ashamed to admit, that there are times in the winter when I might use my spyder only once a month.

Jim&Teresa
08-23-2014, 06:46 AM
I wish the SM10 would have an auto off feature, but it doesn't. I think many of us have learned, the hard way, that you must turn it off if you let the bike sit a few days. I don't shut it off on quick stops when rydin'. However, now I'm in a routine to shut it off when I park the bike in my garage.

I mounted mine in the rear trunk lid for easy access. I don't know why BRP has it in the front frunk? Not very convenient. When I installed the wiring harness from the radio to the SM10 unit, it is SO MUCH easier to place the SM10 in the rear trunk from a wiring routing standpoint! Plus, IMHO it is so much easier to access. I originally had it on the side of the rear trunk, but like it much better in the trunk lid for ease of access.

Here's a pic of the SM10 unit and the bracket (mounted with double stick tape and one short screw) where it's place in the rear trunk lid:

ThreeWheels
08-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Sena makes an Auto Off connector for the SR-10.
Why not for the SM-10 ?

This part is listed as an accessory for the SR-10, but not the SM-10 ?
I'm sooooo confused.

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/cigarette-charger-micro-usb-type-4/
(http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/cigarette-charger-micro-usb-type-4/)