PDA

View Full Version : Back again- 3rd time's a charm...?

jgwoods
07-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Hello Spyderlovers,
I'm back again on my third Spyder. I had a 2009 RS but the darling wife loved the look of the RT throne and so we got a 2011 RT which was really quite wonderful for us. We rode it from home in MA down to New Orleans and out to Santa Fe when the money ran low and we headed home. It was absolutely reliable and comfy, though a bit tight for two as I am very tall and my wife is um, not small.

We ran into a real financial pinch when i retired and I sold the RT getting a good dollar for it which tided us over the rough spot. One other reason I sold it was I was SURE that some great leap forward was about to happen- that suddenly they would come out with a front end that leaned, or a bigger motor and it would reduce the real value of my 2011. Well, I was partly right and don't know about the $$$ angle.

I used to ride with a friend who had a Victory Cross Country and I loved the looks and the way it handled, missing that lean into corners and the ability to single track through a mess of potholes and miss most, if not all, of them. The RT had wonderful suspension but the 3 wheel tracks made it hard to avoid rough spots.

We finally recovered from our financial problems and I bought a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour. I love it. My wife and I were riding all around Acadia Park on it and having a great time- except I was a little wobbly at slow speeds and at one point I parked on a slight downhill and the Victory rolled forward as we were getting off leading to us dropping the bike with us under it. Thankfully the saddle bags and crash bars made it so it was no big deal. I don't think we even scratched the bike plus lots of folks came over and helped us old geezers up. It was funny in a way- but it led my wfe to conclude her 2 wheeling days were over. So here I had a brand new Victory whose purpose was to give enjoyment to two, to husband and wife, and now I was going to go solo, not a total disappointment as I love to ride solo, but I lost my riding partner and it just didn't seem right. We discussed it- trading in the Victory on a new RT but the Vic is so new I was gonna get killed on a trade so we did the crazy thing and I am keeping the 2 wheels and we added 3.

After looking at all the deals on 2013s and having had the 990 motor I thought I would love to make the leap to the 1330. My wife wanted BLING, so now my driveway has a white 2014 RT Limited with the Ultra seat, 25" vented windshield and a few more things on it and I have a fleet (2!) of motorcycles for the first time in my life. I feel lucky and blessed to have such cool toys in my retirement years. Here's to all your health and hapiness.
Joe

Cruzr Joe
07-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Hello Spyderlovers,
I'm back again on my third Spyder. I had a 2009 RS but the darling wife loved the look of the RT throne and so we got a 2011 RT which was really quite wonderful for us. We rode it from home in MA down to New Orleans and out to Santa Fe when the money ran low and we headed home. It was absolutely reliable and comfy, though a bit tight for two as I am very tall and my wife is um, not small.

We ran into a real financial pinch when i retired and I sold the RT getting a good dollar for it which tided us over the rough spot. One other reason I sold it was I was SURE that some great leap forward was about to happen- that suddenly they would come out with a front end that leaned, or a bigger motor and it would reduce the real value of my 2011. Well, I was partly right and don't know about the $$$ angle.

I used to ride with a friend who had a Victory Cross Country and I loved the looks and the way it handled, missing that lean into corners and the ability to single track through a mess of potholes and miss most, if not all, of them. The RT had wonderful suspension but the 3 wheel tracks made it hard to avoid rough spots.

We finally recovered from our financial problems and I bought a 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour. I love it. My wife and I were riding all around Acadia Park on it and having a great time- except I was a little wobbly at slow speeds and at one point I parked on a slight downhill and the Victory rolled forward as we were getting off leading to us dropping the bike with us under it. Thankfully the saddle bags and crash bars made it so it was no big deal. I don't think we even scratched the bike plus lots of folks came over and helped us old geezers up. It was funny in a way- but it led my wfe to conclude her 2 wheeling days were over. So here I had a brand new Victory whose purpose was to give enjoyment to two, to husband and wife, and now I was going to go solo, not a total disappointment as I love to ride solo, but I lost my riding partner and it just didn't seem right. We discussed it- trading in the Victory on a new RT but the Vic is so new I was gonna get killed on a trade so we did the crazy thing and I am keeping the 2 wheels and we added 3.

After looking at all the deals on 2013s and having had the 990 motor I thought I would love to make the leap to the 1330. My wife wanted BLING, so now my driveway has a white 2014 RT Limited with the Ultra seat, 25" vented windshield and a few more things on it and I have a fleet (2!) of motorcycles for the first time in my life. I feel lucky and blessed to have such cool toys in my retirement years. Here's to all your health and hapiness.
Joe

Well ........................................... Welcome home.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
07-28-2014, 04:30 PM
:congrats:, and welcome back!! :2thumbs:
Things usuallly tend to work out; don't they? :D
How about a pic or two of the two of you, AND your bikes? :dontknow:

jerpinoy
07-28-2014, 05:07 PM
:congrats::congrats: We are happy for you and your wife.:yes::yes:

samewok
07-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Congrats and enjoy.

PrairieSpyder
07-28-2014, 05:46 PM
:congrats: I'm sure you'll be happy to have the '14 instead of the '13. :nopic:

ARtraveler
07-28-2014, 06:12 PM
:congrats: and Welcome Back. You are going to like the 2014 a lot.

Highwayman2013
07-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Congrats, my wife rides the Spyder and I'm on 2 wheels.

robmorg
07-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Joe,

What a GREAT story. Retirement sure is fun, ain't it?? :thumbup:

Now you've got not only two rides but two beautiful rides. That Victory Cross Country Tour is no sloucher. Enjoy them both!

ChasCS
07-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey, that's a pretty cool story. enjoy them toys...

Where are the Pictures man!!

Chas

jgwoods
07-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Where's the pictures you ask?
I haven't had them out in the driveway together yet, but I will in the next day or two and take some pix
Many thanks all, I feel at home again

ChasCS
07-28-2014, 07:42 PM
We are waiting, and don't have all week!! Hahaha

Eh, when ever you have time, proper light, the inclination, the desire to please a forum full of total "stranglers".
Just get 'er done! ;-)

Enjoy that pair of fun machines, ride safe and long...

Chas

Chupaca
07-28-2014, 07:51 PM
good to have you back. Glad you made it through those financial rough spots and the spyder was able to help. Best payback is getting another and enjoying the ryde all over again...:2thumbs: Congrats..!! :thumbup:

easysuper
07-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Does your Victory look like this ?92253

SpyderAnn01
07-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Welcome back, I see that Victory gathering dust in your garage....

jgwoods
07-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Does your Victory look like this ?92253

Like the one at the edge of the picture on the right, not that beauty in the middle.
That is one fine looking bike!

ruthie
07-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Going to love the 14. Now let the wife get her motorcycle licence. She can be the Spyder rider.

Supernam
07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
Going to love the 14. Now let the wife get her motorcycle licence. She can be the Spyder rider.

This is the way to go! :2thumbs:

cptjam
07-29-2014, 03:46 PM
You ride the Victory, she rides the RT. When the day comes you want off of two wheels, you will know. Then sell it and decide if you want your own RT, as by then you won't be able to pry it away from her, or ride on the back of her bike! LOL! Welcome back! Joe

jgwoods
07-29-2014, 07:38 PM
You ride the Victory, she rides the RT. When the day comes you want off of two wheels, you will know. Then sell it and decide if you want your own RT, as by then you won't be able to pry it away from her, or ride on the back of her bike! LOL! Welcome back! Joe

My dear wife is a fair driver- but she doesn't drive my F350 long bed, crew cab, dually, and she doesn't drive/ride motorcycles except as a passenger. We are all better off for that. She looks at them, thinks about it, but then concludes an accident awaits. I don't try to persuade her different after airbags saved her in solo crashes twice. There's been many a time I wished she would drive but it has worked out well. We are in one piece and no one has ever been hurt.

(I do like having all the toys to myself)

Joe