PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank

Topshotta
07-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I know this has been discussed before but I am still trying to understand............So if you are tired of seeing this being asked, ignore it and move on to another thread.

My gas light came on and had one bar on the gauge. I went to fill up and it only took 3.719 gallons.

If the tank is 6.6 gal and give 0.6 for tank space. It should hold about 6 gals

6 - 3.72 = 2.28 gal

Is there approximately 2 gals left when the light comes on with 1 bar on the gas gauge
Or the tank size is not accurate?

billybovine
07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
I know this has been discussed before but I am still trying to understand............So if you are tired of seeing this being asked, ignore it and move on to another thread.

My gas light came on and had one bar on the gauge. I went to fill up and it only took 3.719 gallons.

If the tank is 6.6 gal and give 0.6 for tank space. It should hold about 6 gals

6 - 3.72 = 2.28 gal

Is there approximately 2 gals left when the light comes on with 1 bar on the gas gauge
Or the tank size is not accurate?

Sounds right to me. I have driven for what seemed like a long time with no bars and did not put in 6 gallons.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2014, 12:27 PM
:gaah:.....Been discussed a skajillion times :yikes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack :..........But since you asked ...the guage is SWAG at best.......This is the only thing that comes close to accurate ... First you have to learn your Spyder......Once you can estimate your NORMAL MPG's ....then everytime you fill-up you zero one of the tripmeters and use the miles on that to estimate how much gas you have just used on this ride at this time .........ie., figure 6 gal. @ 33 MPG = approx. 198 miles on that tank of gas .......so you better start looking for gas at 175 miles or better have some with you or you will be walking :roflblack::roflblack:........I have always carried 24 oz. of gas because I usually wait till the tank is almost empty ( not using the useless guage ) ( but using my MPG estimate )....................I have never run out of gas ...............If you want to rely on the gas guage just fill it at 125 miles every time and you should be fine.......Mikeguyver......:thumbup:

Chupaca
07-27-2014, 12:30 PM
look at it as the old reserve switch. Thing is this one is just a light telling you you are in the reserve section of the tank. Generaly it is some where around 1.5 +/- gallons. Depending on the gauge being used this varies. Analog or digital in which the latter is more accurate. Once you have a good idea of your mpg's (after 3000/4000 miles) you can figure going that many more miles but best find a gas station before. There is a lot to read on the subject if you search it here...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-27-2014, 02:30 PM
From a similar thread I posted:

All advice good. The gas gauges (analog or digital) are there to give you a "ballpark" of what is left in the tank. Once you have filled up--I recommend setting a tripmeter to zero. Fill up to the same level each time. Don't overfill. You will note that your refill gas light will come on at mileage X for your particular machine. Usually just a little over a gallon left. Most people fill between 135 and 150 miles. If you get the "usual" 30 mpg, then your looking at 5 gal or less. The important thing is to get to know your particular machine and fill up before you run out. I have stretched it out to 184 miles and 5.8 gallons on my 2010 RTS. The new 2014 RT's are better with average 40 mpg and a 200 mile range between fill ups.

ChasCS
07-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Had noticed once that, even though the refill light came on, and there was only one bar showing while riding. Yet after I parked and let the bike cool down a bit, then after starting the bike, a second bar came back on? And the refill light had gone out.

I wasn't sure whether to go fill the tank, or wait a day or so, decided to fill the tank and it took nearly 6 gal, as much as a regular fill.
I see now the gauges all seem to be working normal.
The advice of carrying a small amount of gas seems wise.

Interesting how the storage capacity is described:
41 US gal. (155 l)

Chas

SpyderAnn01
07-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Disconnect the analog gauges and I would bet that you will now be putting in 4 gallons or more when your light comes on.

Bob Denman
07-27-2014, 07:32 PM
2012 RS-S... no analogs. :shocked:

Commander
07-29-2014, 06:23 AM
And I thought I was just going crazy or they just gave me a mini gas tank. It seems like every time it shows empty I only can top it off to only about 3 gallons or so. Very frustrating.....:banghead:

jerpinoy
07-29-2014, 12:40 PM
When I ride 150 miles gas station must be in front of me. It's time to fill up.

Gages differ so much and they are use for reference only.

Bob Denman
07-29-2014, 12:47 PM
The 2014 RTs, are proving to be a horse of a different color...
The new gauges seem to be a whole lot more accurate...
And you can actually travel over 200 miles; before starting to get serious about finding a pump! :2thumbs:

Topshotta
07-29-2014, 04:53 PM
And I thought I was just going crazy or they just gave me a mini gas tank. It seems like every time it shows empty I only can top it off to only about 3 gallons or so. Very frustrating....

:gaah::banghead: Right there with you....they gave us the mini tank. Scratch 6.6 gal and say 4.9gal

Topshotta
07-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Here's what I use, it was a real pain to calibrate but now I know my fuel situation to the last pint.
http://www.cruzpro.co.nz/fu60.html
http://www.cruzpro.co.nz/fu60s.jpg

I like this idea