PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with code PO443

Ex-Rocket
07-27-2014, 11:35 AM
I haven't started the spyder for almost a month and when I did finally get the Spyder started after several attempts, I got a CHECK ENGINE on the screen. I pulled up the code and got a PO443, Just what does this mean. Can I drive the Spyder to the dealership with the check engine light on or is it unsafe to do so? Is this something that I can fix myself? I do have the extended warranity. Any help will be appreciated.

Larry rt
07-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Damaged or disconnected EVAP.
Check fuse
Most likely a fuse .

Larry rt
07-27-2014, 11:47 AM
You can download code errors to your smart phone. Do a search on this forum to see how.

steve0530
07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
I haven't started the spyder for almost a month and when I did finally get the Spyder started after several attempts, I got a CHECK ENGINE on the screen. I pulled up the code and got a PO443, Just what does this mean. Can I drive the Spyder to the dealership with the check engine light on or is it unsafe to do so? Is this something that I can fix myself? I do have the extended warranity. Any help will be appreciated.
PO443 Is evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit. Possible cause: damaged evap, damaged circuit wires, damaged connector or damaged ECM output pins.
I always like to go back to the last thing that was done befor you got it started. You know like, on and off the throttle, did it get flooded? Stuff like that?

Ex-Rocket
07-27-2014, 11:58 AM
You can download code errors to your smart phone. Do a search on this forum to see how.

I still have a dumb phone. Smart phone to fancy for me. Where is the purge valve located? What panels do I have to remove to check? I live out in the country and recently had a problem with rats around the house. I have an 1998 pick up that I rarely drive and the rats got under the hood and chewed all the spark plug wires. Since me Spyder has been sitting in a three sided garage, no garage door, I saw that the was some foam and some aluminum small pieces under the Spyder when I moved it. Maybe the nasty rats chewed a wire under there. So I need a general area when the purge valve wiring is and need to know what side panels I need to remove. Thanks to all that are smarty than me.

Topshotta
07-27-2014, 11:59 AM
I had the same code a few months back. After all the checks previously mentioned it was still present. I needed a new purge valve. I continued driving it for over 2 weeks while BRP got the parts (back order) and then my dealer

Ex-Rocket
07-27-2014, 12:01 PM
PO443 Is evaporative emission system purge control valve circuit. Possible cause: damaged evap, damaged circuit wires, damaged connector or damaged ECM output pins.
I always like to go back to the last thing that was done befor you got it started. You know like, on and off the throttle, did it get flooded? Stuff like that?

I did have a lot of trouble getting it started, but after about 6 to 8 times of cranking it finally started. I left it run for 10 minutes or so and turn off and walked away for 10 -15 minutes and started it up again on the first crank and still had the check engine light .

Ex-Rocket
07-27-2014, 12:04 PM
I had the same code a few months back. After all the checks previously mentioned it was still present. I needed a new purge valve. I continued driving it for over 2 weeks while BRP got the parts (back order) and then my dealer

So it will not damage anything if you drive it? Will it cause the bike to go into a limp mode??

Chupaca
07-27-2014, 12:09 PM
if messing with the innards is not your forte...ryde it over to your dealer and let him get that for you. If still doubtful have it towed or trailered. But don't go disconnecting things your not sure of...jmo..:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2014, 12:13 PM
So it will not damage anything if you drive it? Will it cause the bike to go into a limp mode??
:clap::clap:.......I think ...the not starting is / was not re-lated to the code you received .........If you didn't have it on a BATTERY MAINTAINER or just haven't been using it ...sometimes they get cranky and don't start right away...............My 08 showed various codes for two years but always ran and started fine ....I chose to not let my dealer screw it up.........................just sayin ....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

billybovine
07-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I still have a dumb phone. Smart phone to fancy for me. Where is the purge valve located? What panels do I have to remove to check? I live out in the country and recently had a problem with rats around the house. I have an 1998 pick up that I rarely drive and the rats got under the hood and chewed all the spark plug wires. Since me Spyder has been sitting in a three sided garage, no garage door, I saw that the was some foam and some aluminum small pieces under the Spyder when I moved it. Maybe the nasty rats chewed a wire under there. So I need a general area when the purge valve wiring is and need to know what side panels I need to remove. Thanks to all that are smarty than me.

Take off the the center right panel to get to the purge valve. I think that's right I have not taken apart a RT. The following diagram shows the 2012 purge system and the purge valve is item 19.

billybovine
07-27-2014, 12:18 PM
It probably is a bad or loose connector on the purge pump.

Roger I don't think there is a purge pump. Throttle body vacuum only.

Topshotta
07-27-2014, 12:18 PM

The tech told me it would not harm anything and I could let it sit till the part came in or I can ride. And I rode off..........it drove fine for 2 weeks.

Ex-Rocket
07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
if messing with the innards is not your forte...ryde it over to your dealer and let him get that for you. If still doubtful have it towed or trailered. But don't go disconnecting things your not sure of...jmo..:thumbup:

I see no harm in romoving a few panels to see if maybe the rats chewed a wire going to the purge valve. It may be a simple fix. I just need to know what side the purge valve is on so I can remove that panel. If the wires are chewed into that won't be a warranity claim for sure. So if its something I can visual check as far as chewed wires, I feel very comfortable doing that.

Ex-Rocket
07-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Take off the the center right panel to get to the purge valve. I think that's right I have not taken apart a RT. The following diagram shows the 2012 purge system and the purge valve is item 19.

UPDATE; Thanks Billybovine for the diagram to where the purge valve is. What I found after removing the right side panels was the rats had chewed the orange wire, there are just 2 wires total, going to a connector that plugs into the purge valve. It was an easy fix as long as you know where to look. I just cut out the bad portion and soldered in a new piece of wire and taped up real good. I want to thank everyone who gave me the direction to fix the problem by myself. Thanks to all. This is just one hell of a great site.

Topshotta
07-27-2014, 05:37 PM
UPDATE; Thanks Billybovine for the diagram to where the purge valve is. What I found after removing the right side panels was the rats had chewed the orange wire, there are just 2 wires total, going to a connector that plugs into the purge valve. It was an easy fix as long as you know where to look. I just cut out the bad portion and soldered in a new piece of wire and taped up real good. I want to thank everyone who gave me the direction to fix the problem by myself. Thanks to all. This is just one hell of a great site.

I would remove the rest of the panels to check around and make sure nothing else was messed with.

SpyderAnn01
07-27-2014, 05:43 PM
I would remove the rest of the panels to check around and make sure nothing else was messed with.

That, and put out some rat poison.

ChasCS
07-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Just one more reason to a proud Albertan...

No rats here!! Hope it stays this way too. ;-)

Glad to hear you got it running normal, and for only a little time.

Put out some traps, those things can breed plenty...

Chas

billybovine
07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Just one more reason to a proud Albertan...

No rats here!! Hope it stays this way too. ;-)

Glad to hear you got it running normal, and for only a little time.

Put out some traps, those things can breed plenty...

Chas

A couple months ago it made the news here that some were spotted at dump somewhere in Alberta. Theory that they came in by train. I wonder if they bought a ticket. :roflblack:

billybovine
07-27-2014, 06:31 PM

You're welcome. I third or fourth, whatever the rat poison.

ChasCS
07-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Yes, that was a scare a while back, but haven't heard anything more lately.

Well I hope they were all poisoned & or trapped and sent packing... ;-)

Those critters are devious, I remember reading about them, and never forgot!!
RatMans Notebook, by William Kotzwinkle.

Chas