PDA

View Full Version : Finding dealers out west-------

coachk
07-25-2014, 11:51 PM
When I was on my Western trip I scheduled an appointment with Rice Honda in Rapid City, SD to have new shoes put on my ride. When I started searching for Spyder dealers they were few & far between. That got me thinking about breakdowns 250 miles from the nearest dealer. What would you do?

Chupaca
07-26-2014, 01:19 AM
AAA and have them tow it over...call spyders to the rescue (if in the area) for help. Best is not break down...:thumbup:

thrinsag
07-26-2014, 09:40 AM
I carry a list of Canam dealers in each state as I ride there. Old Google can list them for you in a second and another second to print it out. I also look for other BRP dealers such as their water and snow craft, four wheelers, etc. They are more likely able to assist than bike shops that do not handle the Spyder. I have not had to get help as yet, but anything can happen. I plan to tell whomever I call about the issues of towing such as crashing the frunk while pulling the bike up the ramp. Good luck on all your rides and just be safe.

murphybrown
07-26-2014, 10:07 AM
In almost 90K of travel and most in outlying areas I have had 2 issues.
Roadside Assistance is most important ( a charged cell phone ...and pray that you break down where there is service :yikes:): AAA Premium RV or Good Sam Platinum (make sure they cover motorcycles). The BEST/BRP roadside is less than adequate, but would be better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick.
When I broke down in TN my greatest concern was finding a recommended dealer. There are to many horror stories of poor customer service. So I get on SL and send out the :yikes: help me post. I included my phone #. AMAZING results..even though there was a dealer within 30 miles of where I broke down...the best dealer was 170 miles away. I broke down on the weekend and was able to get to a motel in the "outback". AAA rollback picked me up early, early and I was at the dealership when they opened. And they took a part off of a new spyder, installed it had me on the road within 5 hours. AAA reimbursed me for motel and meals when my Spyder wasn't able to be driven.

When I broke down in WY...similar results...I ended up needing 3 different dealers for those issues as I worked my way back to WA. The issue was had oil change in Nebraska and tech didn't get plug in tight :gaah:...blew where the antelope play ALOT...so this dealer took full responsibility and got me to motel late at night, then took me 4 hrs to a dealer in Gillette...then they had to get me help again, for oil damage to brakes in Billings, MT until I got to dealer in Spokane that was my regular service tech.

I am getting to leave on a short 3-4k trip in a few days and I will leave with a list of dealers in the areas I will be traveling toward/through. Boy Scout motto: BE PREPARED (oh yea about that have roll of TP!!) :clap: and that is your best insurance against needing help. Also download Roger_Rattigan's free app: MySpyder (invaluable information and aids). :thumbup:

Dragonrider
07-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Carry a smart phone or iPad - owners are a lot closer than dealers, in most areas. However, when you are in the real west (not the Left Coast), people are very few and far between. Rest stops can be 100 miles apart in some areas.

Proper pre trip maintenance, and morning pre-trip checks (belt, oil, loose stuff), should make the trip worry free.

Enjoy the trip - If you didn't want any risk, you would stay home... :rolleyes:

ARtraveler
07-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Looks like MurphyBrown said it all. :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs: