PDA

View Full Version : Tire storage life

sddinnh
07-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Since it seems every time you find a tire you like they discontinue it, how long do you think one would last in storage if I bought a spare while I can still get it? Is there anything special you should do to it to make it last longer?

Frank G
07-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Refer to this thread.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?60308-How-old-are-your-tires-your-dealer-sells-to-you

It contains some great information and references to back up ststements.

Eagle1
07-25-2014, 08:45 PM
The tires should be stored in a cool, ventilated environment with no sunlight on the tire, many wrap the tire in a big plastic bag, keeping oxygen out. i would not run a tire that was more than 3-4years. Be sure to check the manufacture production date to give you a starting point.:chat:

ulflyer
07-26-2014, 08:06 AM
I have a 14 YO Ford Ranger with the OEM tires still on it with 46K on the odometer (obviously it doesn't get driven much) and absolutely NO CRACKING!

Probably because its parked under a shed where the sun does not shine on it.

Store your tire till you need it with no worries.:D

Bob Denman
07-26-2014, 08:09 AM
:agree: They'll probanly last a lot longer in storage, than they will on the bike anyway! :thumbup:

oldgoat
07-26-2014, 01:00 PM
I have 2 spare front Kendas I bought for a very good price. They are laid flat, one on top of the other, in my ventilated/heated/cooled basement with no sun on them. They will stay there until I need them.

Now I'm sure there are people on this forum with 2 PhDs in tire storage who will say I'm taking a huge risk. Tough!

I will examine them for cracks before I use them.

Chupaca
07-26-2014, 01:36 PM
According to techs I have talked to..properly stored tires should be put into use prior to six years and tires in use regardless of condition (still have tread) should be replace prior to ten years..but the techs do vary...:dontknow:

robmorg
07-26-2014, 01:49 PM
The tires should be stored in a cool, ventilated environment with no sunlight on the tire, many wrap the tire in a big plastic bag, keeping oxygen out. i would not run a tire that was more than 3-4years. Be sure to check the manufacture production date to give you a starting point.:chat:
:agree: , except that 3-4 years is a little on the short side for tire sidewall life today. Rule of thumb used to be to retire tires after 5-6 years, regardless of tread life. But today you can reasonably expect more like 8 years before they need retired. (Note... That's when to replace a tire, stored or not, - not when you can mount it.) Tires look the same as they did 15 years ago, but the manufacturing technology on better tires has improved dramatically in the last decade. (Of course on most vehicles, the tread will wear out before the sidewall unless the tire has been stored, or the vehicle is seldom used.)

I just sold a trucking company and own a motorhome, so I know a few things about tires, albeit larger tires, but the theory will be the same. The sidewalls have a useful life, regardless of whether or not you see cracking. Rubber will loose it's elasticity over time and become more "brittle". Actually this may happen sooner if the tires are stored and not run, because flexing of the sidewall will help the tire remain more pliable. There are about four factors that may significantly affect sidewall life. In order of significance they are...

Heat (prolonged exposure to temps over about 120 degF, either from the sun or especially from running them under-inflated.)
Undue side forces (like from striking curbs, etc.)
Exposure to ozone (which is everywhere).
Exposure to ultra-violet sun rays. (Many think this is the most significant, but the others are all actually much more harmful.)

With regard to tires stored out of sunlight in cool areas, it's mainly ozone that dries them out, which begins as soon as they come out of the tire factory. Interesting fact... Recreational vehicles (RV's) tend to need tire replacement due to expired sidewall life before they run out of tread. I have known many people to get a flat and put on a spare, only to have the spare blow out a few hours down the road. Carrying a spare tire on an RV is rather useless, and only takes up space.

robmorg
07-26-2014, 02:16 PM
:agree: They'll probably last a lot longer in storage, than they will on the bike anyway! :thumbup: That's a common misconception. Tread ware aside, unless tires in use are abused, a tire being frequently flexed in normal use will often last longer than a stored tire. Flexing helps to keep the sidewalls pliable. Sorry to contradict. :sour:

Of course if you ride as much as most folks here, you are absolutely correct!!! You will run out of tread long before you run out of sidewall life. :D