PDA

View Full Version : Totaled Spyder

Lone Spyder Ryder
07-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Accident left 09 totaled 27,857 miles on Wed 07/09/2014 4:00PM RIP going to really miss this machine. One thing for sure the Can Am Spyder was more than just a machine to me......5 blocks from home. Pulled up behind a pickup at stop sign. He made the turn, I stopped and made the turn, started following him down the street. No turn signal from his pickup, he just did braked and started a left turn. I remember starting to brake and that is all I remember. Next thing I know I am laying on the pavement, the Spyder upside down, in a guys drive way and two people asking how I was. Then some policeman, fireman and being loaded in to a ambulance. Woke up in ICU with my spleen removed, 3 broken ribs, and road rash on both knees, elbows and both hands. The right wheel of the Spyder must have caught the brim of the ditch and took out a 4 inch steel pole with a mail box attached to it. I had just had all the triple play, fender tips GIVI case lights all turn singles changed to leds.
Just sick thinking about it. Man did the Spyder light up when braking and turning. So anyway I am not sure where things will go from here but I sure did enjoy this site and will continue to visit just to see what is happing with you all.
9203792036 I am trying to find out who I got my adjustable handle bar risers and foot pegs from. Can't find my receipts .....thanks to all of you for the good wishes. I do believe will be a spyder ryder again

pwm
07-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Glad your OK so to speak. Hopefully you can get back Spydering before too long.

Tango
07-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Glad your ok! Hang in there. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 01:08 PM
:yikes: So glad to see that you're at least able to post this...
Please take care of yourself first; everything else can wait!
:pray: to you and yours!

MouthPiece
07-25-2014, 01:09 PM
I remember posting just about the very same thing 2 1/2 years ago. Mine was only broken ribs and a mutilated rotator cuff. I remember laying on my back, opening up my eyes and saying thank you God. My 2010 spyder was black. That's why I now own a "yeller" colored spyder.

I know just how you feel. The only advice I can give is to "get back up on that horse and ride". You'll be fearful of intersections (even in your cage), but in time the memories become faint.

If you had that many miles on your spyder, it tells me it wasn't a "14". You should get a pretty good settlement on the spyder from your insurance company. I know I did. As to whether you will be compensated "justly" for your other injuries, only time will tell.

Bottom line is that although I'm sorry this happened to you, I'm certainly glad that you are able to write and tell us about it.

Chris

MarkLawson
07-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Prayers for your quick and complete healing! :pray:

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm also a dues-paying member of the "Spyder Crash Test Dummy", Bridge Club... :opps:
I Visited the old frame a couple of weeks ago... 92028

Scooter
07-25-2014, 01:19 PM
I was hit by a truck on I-95 back in 1998 on a 2 wheeler, so I know how you feel. Get well, don't let this stop you from riding. :thumbup::thumbup:

wyliec
07-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear that you're relatively okay, and keep on healing.

vided
07-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Sad to hear your plight. I hope you mend quickly.:pray:

cuznjohn
07-25-2014, 01:37 PM
wow glad you can be here to let us know, feel better soon

Eagle1
07-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear you are getting better. Keep us posted.

Hope you Get back to the Ryde.

PrairieSpyder
07-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger - and maybe smarter. I also pray you'll continue to full recovery soon.:pray:

I agree with Mouthpiece that you should "get back on the horse" as soon as you are able to do so. In the meantime, don't be a stranger.

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger - and maybe smarter. I also pray you'll continue to full recovery soon.:pray:

billrob71
07-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Sorry to hear , hope for a speedy recovery for ya

HANG IN THERE

ARtraveler
07-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Thank you for posting. Glad to hear you made it through, and hope you will get back on a :spyder2: again. Our thoughts and :pray::pray: go with you.

Jim&Teresa
07-25-2014, 02:43 PM
So sorry to hear about your accident and glad you are still with us! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

:pray: for a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing your story. :thumbup:

Jeriatric
07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
You're alive!!!

Hang in there.

:doorag:

Chupaca
07-25-2014, 06:01 PM
So glad you made it through...sorry the roadster did not..but really sorry it happened at all..Hope you have a full recovery soon :pray::pray: and hope you do stay on with us. Your knowledge is part of what this site is about..good bad and ugly...heal well..:thumbup:

Brian Kay
07-25-2014, 06:46 PM
And that's why I now own a Spyder... Had a similar accident on a motorcycle and lived to tell about it! Now back on the horse with training wheels lol.

Glad to see you telling stories. God bless!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Prayers for your quick and complete healing! :pray:
:agree: + :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: ....Mikeguyver & DEE :thumbup: :ohyea:

cyclelover63
07-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Get Well !!!!!!!!!!!!.....Glad to hear that you made it through this...

retread
07-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Prayers for a complete recovery.

john

SNOOPY
07-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Wow, sorry to hear of this. I hope you're back to 100% soon. :thumbup:

Well, 98.5% w/ the spleen removed. :(

ChasCS
07-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Glad you are on the mend and have your sense of humor intact. Hope you get back on three wheels real soon? Only good luck here forward.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Hurry up and heal. Keep us posted.

Chas

spydaman60
07-25-2014, 09:01 PM
mend fast my friend!!! :thumbup:

Capt John
07-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Hope you mend fast! From the pics....Your adjustable risers and highway bracket are from kewlmetal

GrumpySteelMan
07-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Big Arm
07-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Hadn't seen you post for quite some time......Hang in there......:pray: for a quick recovery

jScotD
07-25-2014, 10:14 PM
holy crap:yikes:

don't know what to say..

as they say on a music thread I hang at.. BeaMs,, 92044

den1953
07-26-2014, 05:57 AM
Be glad you are alive, the bike is replaceable you're not. I had a bike totalled back in 2001 and I was glad (overjoyed) to be alive. I replaced that bike in about two weeks even though I could barely walk yet. My body has a better memory of my injuries than my mind does (aches & pains), but I'm still kicking & riding.

ValCruzSpyder
07-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Fortunately, the only crashes I've witnessed, have been the videos shared on youtube! Some of those can leave a lump in your throat. The main reason my wife and I went with the Spyder, was because of the survivability in a crash. I have read some of the post from other members about their experiences resulting from a crash. I truly believe the setup of the Spyder had a lot to do with them being able to "walk away" from the crash virtually uninjured. Although you sustained a spleen removal, broken ribs, and some significant road rash, the saving grace is that you are still alive. SL members will continue to float well wishes your way in the days and weeks to come. For your part, just continue to heal. Let the insurance company do the rest. Our only hope is that you are able to "SPYDER ON" once you are completely healed. I offer my prayers for a speedy and complete recovery...minus the spleen. You might want to get a receipt for that!! Just kidding. Take care of yourself, and thank your lucky stars you were able to be around to share this experience with us. The outcome could have been a lot different.
:pray::pray::pray:

cognaccruiser
07-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Gary

frankm
07-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Good thoughts and prayers:pray: headed you way for a quick and full recovery.

Frank

SpyderAnn01
07-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your wreck but really glad that you are able to tell us about it. Get well soon then you can start working on your new Spyder.

MikeinGA
07-26-2014, 10:45 AM
I went down off road another racer stopped and got mike bike off me and part of my bike went into my upper left leg. We stopped the bleeding put a clean rag in the hole and duct taped it shut. It cost me a trip to ER and 67 stitches to close the holes in my leg. After 5 days I went to the shop and took my bike for a short ride. In about 6 weeks I started to ride off road again. Heal up, Getup and ride.

Mike

ChasCS
07-26-2014, 11:05 AM
I forgot to add these:
You would be the perfect winner for this contest.
http://www.spyderpalooza.com

Oh, also get your name in the draw here...
www.winacanam.com
Winner will receive:
Their choice of 1 Can-Am off-road vehicle.
Retail value up to $20,899 USD/ $24,374 CAD

If I don't win, Good luck!! ;-)

Chas

Deanna777
07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
92029 Bob: :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree: with you 110%..... Deanna777:ohyea:

Deanna777
07-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Sorry to read about your accident, get well soon. You can always buy an other :spyder2:. Take care of your self. Deanna777

Wwulf76
07-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Tomorrow marks one year since my crash when a fellow rider who was driving his truck that day turned in front of me on the highway. Your first rides could be extremely difficult. I got back on the back of my husband's spyder since my 2 wheeler was totaled. Then I think God was trying to condition me because it seemed like the only people turning left in front of me for the first few months after I started riding on my own were white trucks. I am still working on the crash scene and have been through it several times now. The first few times I couldn't breathe as I tried to go through it. I drive a truck normally and even driving that for a month or so was nerve wracking.

Get back on the horse as soon as you can. Now I am looking at knee surgery to try to finally get rid of my knee pain and the biggest frustration is that I won't be able to ride for a while. Hang in there!

Mike X
07-26-2014, 08:04 PM
I feel your pain , I joined the Spydering family after a two wheeled mishap , broken wrist , leg and smashed pelvis , spent my recovery time researching Spyders and managed to secure one before I was able to ride , I am sure it reduced my recovery time , longing to get back out there .
good luck and heal well :thumbup:

flaggerphil
07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Hope you heal quickly.

How fast were you going?

robmorg
07-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery and a fair, no-hassle settlement on your Spyder. Hope a new 3-wheeled machine is in your near future.

92089Heal fast!