PDA

View Full Version : Spyders Underpowered?

Rockwall
07-24-2014, 05:27 PM
I have a 2012 RS SM5 that had 106hp stock with a bolt on Two Brothers pipe that supposedly adds 4hp. I ride with a club that has mostly Honda's, Suzuki's and Harleys. Several of the guys are of the opinion that Spyders are and have always been "underpowered." I have always been happy with the performance of the Spyder and never rode a two wheeler. On club rides I can stay with the best of them, but can't always corner with the same speeds are bikes that lean. My Spyder can get up over 110 mph with virtually no vibration or shake. I know this is not at all the case for the others.

So do you agree about the general term underpowered?

PrairieSpyder
07-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I have a 2012 RS SM5 that had 106hp stock with a bolt on Two Brothers pipe that supposedly adds 4hp. I ride with a club that has mostly Honda's, Suzuki's and Harleys. Several of the guys are of the opinion that Spyders are and have always been "underpowered." I have always been happy with the performance of the Spyder and never rode a two wheeler. On club rides I can stay with the best of them, but can't always corner with the same speeds are bikes that lean. My Spyder can get up over 110 mph with virtually no vibration or shake. I know this is not at all the case for the others.

No!:sour:

Chupaca
07-24-2014, 06:01 PM
It good power and keeps up with many more powerful. Have you seen all the tire threads..!! More power will get you how many more..?? :roflblack: critics will always find fault it has as much power as it needs. I have done 117 mph on a climb so don't complain. Do you need more..?? :dontknow:

jcthorne
07-24-2014, 06:07 PM
The air cooled Harley's are much more 'underpowered' than you. Even the latest 106 cu.in. ones. And you should have no trouble keeping up with any of the crusier type leaners in the curves. Crotch rockets, not so much.

ARtraveler
07-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Underpowered seems to be how anyone wants to interpret it. The :spyder2: has more than enough power to get you a speeding ticket in first gear, and you can generally blow the doors off anything because of the high rpm allowance.

Do I think the :ani29: is underpowered? Not only no, but heck no. :yes:

Do I need power that will take me over 110 mph? No to that also. I have never had the :spyder2: at 100 mph in over 100,000 miles of :ani29: operation.

If I wanted to do the above, I would probably have a two wheeler. There are models out there that will take you above and beyond what the :ani29: is capable of.

Brogers57
07-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Has enough power for everything you want to do. I came from a crotch rocket and wouldn't go back. Spyders are in their own category. If they look at it just from a speed point of view then everything is "underpowered" except the rockets. Who turns heads going down the road, gets the looks while parked, has other riders checking it out? The :f_spider:, seems like power to me :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Are YOU happy with the power? :dontknow:
Then; who gives a :cus: What anybody else thinks?

ChasCS
07-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Coming from a new Kawasaki Ninja 600R to the Spyder, I feel there is much more than enough power for my needs, with the RS-S

Chas

Rockwall
07-24-2014, 06:43 PM
I totally agree that my RS is plenty powerful. I'm in my second summer of riding, in a club with guys having 30+ years experience so that is the main reason that sometimes I don't keep up. Whenever someone pulls away and I twist the throttle back in 5th gear I am on them really quickly. As for underpowered I agree that Harleys weighing more than Spyders and having 75 stock hp are the real dogs.

Eagle1
07-24-2014, 06:45 PM
I Ryde with several 2 & 3 wheelers and have no problem with power on our 2010 "rt.
I find following the Harley and Honda trikes I have to back off in the corners They just don't corner as well as the Canam. I rode snow mobiles for the years so I push it hard and have no problem keeping up.
😁😁🆒🎉

stallion143
07-24-2014, 06:48 PM

:agree: ....Well said!!!

Illinois Boy
07-24-2014, 06:51 PM

Given who you said made the statement, their reference to power is directly associated to low-end torque. Spyders do no have it. I dare to say, not even the 1330's compared to a big V-Twin (I know... because I own one and have had many over the years).

Americans, in general, grew up with low-end torque vehicles starting as far back as the steam engine. We are clearly the country that does not generally understand high rev engines. Europe certainly does, and more so who know the great Italian sports cars.

However, the Spyder does have a good amount of power if operated correctly; which is to say, you cannot run it at lower rpm's and get excited about its torque (1330's are an exception to a degree).

So, I have heard what you are saying. Quite a few times from my friends, who I have let ride my '11 RTS SE5, have made the same statement, while I watch them trying to run it below 4,000 rpm's in any gear. Such fools. I wouldn't let them near a Ferrari. I would only let them drive a Detroit car. :roflblack:

I have NEVER EVER had a problem keeping up with Harley's, Victory's, Indian's, Goldwing's, and the like at any time in any situation, to include corners.

The only bikes I cannot "out-do" are sport or racing street bikes -- but then again, they are also high-rev machines on two wheels weighing one-third the weight of my Spyder. ;)

SPYD3R
07-24-2014, 06:53 PM
THERE IS NO STOCK HARLEY OF ANY CONFIGURATION: FAT BOY, BIG BOY, OH BOY, HARD-TAIL, SOFT-TAIL, NO-TAIL, etc.... THAT CAN OUT-CORNER A SPYD3R..... PERIOD....
THE RICE-ROCKETS & BMW's WILL LEAVE US IN THE DUST.... BUT HARLEY.... NO WAY....
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

Bob Denman
07-24-2014, 06:54 PM
:D I try to just speak the truth... :D

billrob71
07-24-2014, 06:54 PM
I think there is always tweeking that can be done but these are usually a lot heavier then any crotch rocket there 5 gears where a lot if the 2 wheelers are 6.

There plenty powerful enough to fry a very expensive rear tire and faster then any legal speed limit in this country.

I'm a speed nut so would I like to see them little quicker sure but for what they are think there right where they need to be for the normal person that rides them.

billrob71
07-24-2014, 06:56 PM

WELL said Mr Denman

Bob Denman
07-24-2014, 07:02 PM
:D I'm just a "Bob"... :thumbup:

billrob71
07-24-2014, 07:12 PM
:D I'm just a "Bob"... :thumbup:

hmmm Just a Bob

Jeriatric
07-24-2014, 07:15 PM
:roflblack:

No, but many.....most, are not ridden to demonstrate their true potential. nojoke

:doorag:

Yazz
07-24-2014, 07:22 PM
If you're slow in the corners, get BahaRon's anti-sway bar. It'll stiffen up the body roll, giving you a more aggressive ride in the twisties.

Rockwall
07-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Yep, exactly what I plan to do. I get some drift in twisties and sometimes have to roll of the throttle.

Dan_Ashley
07-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Too slow? On my 2012 RT I can beat almost any car off the line. Almost any.

Oldmanzues
07-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Might try the suspension upgrades. I think the power is fine.
BUT and a big but, if they are going faster then you and you are not comfortable in going faster, Do not.
Ride your ride, not somebody elses. the Dragon can tell many tales about this statement.
Oldmanzues

retread
Underpowered? By what criteria? If the engine is in it's power band, no way, If you treat it like a tractor? maybe. If you want a torque monster, get a steam engine, or a Caterpiller, if you want to ride, you go with what works for you, I'll do the same.

john

Yazz
Yep, exactly what I plan to do. I get some drift in twisties and sometimes have to roll of the throttle.

Show 'em what it feels like to have a Spyder riding up their back fender. :doorag:

hchays
07-24-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't think that the Spyders are under powered. With that being said I think they could be engineered a little different to allow the user to have full potential of the power that it has. For example the nanny needs to unbutton her collar a little bit and relax. I can see why they need a nanny with all the new riders and such. However it needs to be adjustable or loosened up a bit from the factory. FYI... Before the critics start about why the nanny is perfect. I like to ride slow sometimes, I like to ride as the Spyder likes to be ridden and then there are times I want to give it hell and really enjoy what I spent all this damn money on. So that's why the nanny needs to be adjustable so people with experience, know how and the will to ride can.

Dan McNally
07-24-2014, 07:50 PM
. . . Several of the guys are of the opinion that Spyders are and have always been "underpowered." . . .

There are also people who believe the moon landing was fake :gaah: ; that Elvis lives :dontknow: ; that the earth is flat :yikes: . . . but just because they believe it doesn't make it so :lecturef_smilie:. . . . as a launch vehicle for an earth orbiter? Yes, it is underpowered. As a vehicle to get you down the road as fast as you wish, it does quite well . . . :thumbup:

Kratos
07-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Not underpowered at all. When I tuned my spyder with the commander, it gave it that extra pep that made my baby scream.

billybovine
07-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Daring to be different...Honestly, I would not mind more on our 1330 RTs. Not that I want to go blazing fast or peel the tire carcass apart, 15 to 25 more in a good part of the power would help with roll on when already at cruise speed.

There have been a few times when going left lane and had the grip fully cranked and was hoping for better acceleration to get around other vehicles. Between wind drag, weight, and going from say a solid 70 and needing more to pass, I would rather squirt by than mosey past.

Overall though it does well, especially around town.

To go with the added push, better brakes would be nice also.

PK

Down shift!!

spydaman60
07-24-2014, 08:36 PM
THERE IS NO STOCK HARLEY OF ANY CONFIGURATION: FAT BOY, BIG BOY, OH BOY, HARD-TAIL, SOFT-TAIL, NO-TAIL, etc.... THAT CAN OUT-CORNER A SPYD3R..... PERIOD....
THE RICE-ROCKETS & BMW's WILL LEAVE US IN THE DUST.... BUT HARLEY.... NO WAY....
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3Rhow about a v-rod? 118 hp at the rear wheel! I think that might do it!:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
;)I think it depends more on who is operating the Spyder and how well they know their machine .......I have felt really ,really bad about the guys riding those " CROTCH ROCKETS " who slid off the road because of sand etc.......and my Spyder ???? well a slight squiggle and all's good. We have a heck of a lot more rubber on the road than any two wheeler............I remember as an LEO chasing MTC's , just waiting for them to crash, because they couldn't lose me. They could out accelerate me but in the corners ....four good tires wins most of the time .....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

daveinva
07-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Correction: No stock Harley sold today.

Cruzr Joe
07-24-2014, 08:54 PM
The air cooled Harley's are much more 'underpowered' than you. Even the latest 106 cu.in. ones. And you should have no trouble keeping up with any of the crusier type leaners in the curves. Crotch rockets, not so much.

:agree:

fas2000
07-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Underpowered, no. Do I want another 20 to 30 hp out in the higher revs and another 10 to 15 ft lb of torque, hells Yah! I ride with a mv Agusta, a BMW s1000, and a Ducati monster 1200. While these guys are not lunatics and are very courteous of having me around, and even impressed that I keep up with them when they are going 7/10, I still would like to keep up a bit better.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

BajaRon
07-24-2014, 09:43 PM
Now that is truly ironic! A Harley owner saying the Spyder is under-powered.

Isn't there an old saying about the pot calling the kettle black?

The Spyder has plenty of power to keep up and pass most.

There are several things you can do to your RS to get impressive twisties handling.

jScotD
07-24-2014, 09:57 PM
and I am the 40th replier .. at present

underpowered.. compared to what.. I didn't look at the Spyder as a speed machine when I got rid of my 176+ mph BMW, as I saw on the speedo (no not that kind of speedo:joke:) and contented my need for speed... now I just wish to be... at 66, I just want to enjoy life as it comes..

the little spYder with its high revving engine gets my attention..

PistonBlown
07-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Doesn't look too shoddy in this video. Same guy did a video dicing with a Triumph triple. Neither video is for the safety conscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IU8opXXwYE

BajaRon
07-24-2014, 11:31 PM
A few years ago, when I had just installed the custom sway bar on my 08 GS, I spent a day with my brother in central California. He lives in Atascadero. Beautiful scenery and great riding around there.

He is usually the most mellow person in our family of 3 boys and 2 girls. But he was very upset with me getting a 3 wheeled machine. He said; 'You can still ride 2 wheels, why are you riding a Spyder?'. I told him that 3 wheels aren't just for old people anymore. That the Spyder is a blast to ride.

He said he wouldn't ride anything that couldn't keep up. And I said, 'Neither will I'. Again, my brother isn't the challenge kind of guy. He's of the 'Live and let live' philosophy. I tend to be more anal than he ever was. He really surprised me.

He said; 'Ok, let's go see what your 3 wheels can do'. He wasn't even nice about it. He wouldn't even call it a Spyder.

First, it was a 1st Gear rolling start drag race. Did I mention that he rides an FJR?. I didn't think I could stay with him in a drag race but I wanted to see as much as he did. As suspected, he won. But I know I was faster than he expected. He was ALMOST able to conceal his surprise. He didn't say anything one way or the other. Nor did he ask to run again.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200910/yamaha-fjr1300a-5_600x0w.jpg http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/SpyderOnKillboy2Sm_zps89b2565c.jpg

Then it was on to a narrow mountain road that had a seemingly endless arsenal of rapid fire tight turns, S-Turns, turns that went from positive to negative camber and almost no straight stretches. Shorter distance than the Dragon, but much more of a workout. No shoulder and no letup between turns.

Most of the curves were blind with thick brush on the low side and high dirt bank on the other side.

He obviously knew the road well which put me at a bit of a disadvantage. Plus, I'd not ridden much twisties with my new sway bar and I was not at all sure what my limits were. I confess to cutting into the oncoming lane in some really tight bends where I could see because my line was so bad for the next turn. I can say that we were flying. I was actually somewhat uncomfortable. But I wasn't going to let my little brother make me look bad on my 'Old Man's Machine' if I could help it.

2 wheels always have a bit of advantage over 3 in that even a narrow road gives them room to work a better approach and exit angle. Not that I was complaining, mind you. Just sighting fact.

On the other side of the coin, there were a few bends where sand had washed across the road, probably from a recent rain. My brother, in the lead, really had to plow the brakes a few times, stand the FJR up as much as possible for the split second it took to get by the sand, then lean like a fiend to stay in his lane. It was at those times I really made him sweat because, as you know, a strip of sand in a curve is no big deal for the Spyder. I was pretty much able to power through these.

I wasn't all that far behind him to start with so you can imagine how much I was able to ride his back side at these moments in our little 'Test' ride. I didn't want him to forget I was back there, after all.

I have to say, he really gave me a workout, though I did my best to pretended it was just a leisurely ride. I'm not sure if he believed me in that regard. And I'm not sure if he was giving it 100% either.

At the end of the ride he didn't say much, so I asked him. All he said was; 'Every time I looked in my mirrors all I could see was that huge front end climbing up my backside. I was worried that your brakes would fade and you would run over me!'

I considered it a success as that was about the most complementary my brother was going to be about my Spyder.

PistonBlown
07-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write that post BajaRon. Really enjoyed reading it.

Mo Lee
07-25-2014, 05:18 AM
Not underpowered for surem do I want more H*** YEA! Mine will stay with any of my other bikes, see avatar.

DrewNJ
07-25-2014, 05:33 AM
how about a v-rod? 118 hp at the rear wheel! I think that might do it![emoji106]
Ever corner hard in the twisties on a vrod? !...[emoji33][emoji1]

StanProff
07-25-2014, 05:50 AM
Daring to be different...Honestly, I would not mind more on our 1330 RTs. Not that I want to go blazing fast or peel the tire carcass apart, 15 to 25 more in a good part of the power would help with roll on when already at cruise speed.

There have been a few times when going left lane and had the grip fully cranked and was hoping for better acceleration to get around other vehicles. Between wind drag, weight, and going from say a solid 70 and needing more to pass, I would rather squirt by than mosey past.

PK

Down shift? I have ridden a 1330 but not enough to compare the power with the 998. It didn't seem that much different with the exception of the low end torque. I have done "roll ons" on the highway with my two wheeler friends on their cruisers. The 998 will walk away from 1300 to 1500 v twins from 65 mph on to 100 mph. After that they will keep going as their top end is usually a little better but usually they quit before we get that fast and the spyder is way ahead. (by the way, they are the ones that challenge me to do the "roll-on"). Your spyder will surprise you . Sounds like the 1330 may need to grab a gear if you open it up at 70 mph where as the 998 is just starting its power band at that speed in high gear.

ctpaddler2000
07-25-2014, 06:00 AM
My Spyder has the Can-Am power increase knob. I just rotate it and can pass or keep up with anything on the road.

jcthorne
07-25-2014, 06:09 AM

PK

That's the answer to a different question. YES, I would love to have more power on my RT. Has long puzzled me there was no well developed aftermarket scratching that itch on these bikes.

StanProff
07-25-2014, 06:20 AM
how about a v-rod? 118 hp at the rear wheel! I think that might do it!:thumbup:

that's not a Harley. Just ask the Harley riders. (I do agree that it "could" be an awesome bike if Harley would embrace it).

dndfindley
07-25-2014, 09:20 AM
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R

Very well said. My sentiments exactly.

dndfindley
07-25-2014, 09:28 AM
If you're slow in the corners, get BahaRon's anti-sway bar. It'll stiffen up the body roll, giving you a more aggressive ride in the twisties.

I don't have'em and will never have'em on my current 2012 RT. It is stock. All I have done is have the front shocks adjusted to their firmest setting. I don't have any problems in the twisties (and I live 30 minutes from the Dragon) and I have no problems on the interstate amongst semi's doing 80 mph. If you like'em - fine. There was a post a few days back on another thread about how the poster thought that particular topic (fast sportbikes) had run it's course i.e. he was tired of it. Does anybody ever get tired of hearing about swaybars and laser alignments? Or are you waiting for post number 1 million on the matter? That will probably be in the next few days.

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Glad to hear that you don't need a new Anti-SwayBar for your bike. :thumbup:
But why are you so worried about what other folks post about them? :dontknow:
I don't have one on my 2014... I did on my 2010, and am trying to make up my mind about the mod for the new bike...

dndfindley
07-25-2014, 09:34 AM
how about a v-rod? 118 hp at the rear wheel! I think that might do it!:thumbup:

You're forgetting that a V-Rod to the Harley people is a red headed step child. They don't claim it. The V-Rod is the only Harley I would ever ride. As for the rest of the Harley line up - I wouldn't ride one if you gave it to me. I would immediately trade or sell it.

jaherbst
07-25-2014, 09:37 AM

​No!

bhfromme
07-25-2014, 09:37 AM
I read your post and read the replies and one word comes to mind.

Safety.

Are the ninjas quicker? Most definitely. But do they provide the safety of a three wheeled monster? I think we all know the answer to that. I don't know about the rest of you but I've lost too many friends and yes, even relatives, to ever want to ride a two-wheeler again.

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 09:38 AM
"You're forgetting that a V-Rod to the Harley people is a red headed step child. They don't claim it. The V-Rod is the only Harley I would ever ride. As for the rest of the Harley line up - I wouldn't ride one if you gave it to me. I would immediately trade or sell it."

Still; it doesn't say anything but "Harley Davidson" on the bike... :thumbup:

They have also introduced a new series of bikes this year with liquid-cooling, overhead cams, and a 60 degree Vee-Twin! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif
The times; they are a-changin'! :D

dndfindley
07-25-2014, 09:40 AM
;)I think it depends more on who is operating the Spyder and how well they know their machine .......I have felt really ,really bad about the guys riding those " CROTCH ROCKETS " who slid off the road because of sand etc.......and my Spyder ???? well a slight squiggle and all's good. We have a heck of a lot more rubber on the road than any two wheeler............I remember as an LEO chasing MTC's , just waiting for them to crash, because they couldn't lose me. They could out accelerate me but in the corners ....four good tires wins most of the time .....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Two things - they are sportbikes or in the case of the liter bikes - supersport bikes. It's a crotch rocket to cagers. Secondly you state that as a cop you chased people on motorcycles. That presented more of a danger to the public than the motorcyclist ever did. The only justification for doing that would be if the rider presented a very real and present danger to other parties if he escaped i.e. he had just murdered someone or he was going to murder someone. As to who wins - a sportbike or a car - just watch any of the Ghostrider videos on Youtube and see him toy with cops in cars.

wyliec
07-25-2014, 09:40 AM
There was a post a few days back on another thread about how the poster thought that particular topic (fast sportbikes) had run it's course i.e. he was tired of it. Does anybody ever get tired of hearing about swaybars and laser alignments? Or are you waiting for post number 1 million on the matter? That will probably be in the next few days.

After you've been here awhile, you'll see everything repeats itself, over and over and over. I hear you; some of this stuff gets old, quickly. I just have a tendency to bypass those posts because it's not going to change. You'll also find where some members think things they say are hilarious, and you're left scratching your head wondering if it's you or them.

dndfindley
07-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Doesn't look too shoddy in this video. Same guy did a video dicing with a Triumph triple. Neither video is for the safety conscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IU8opXXwYE

That equals 123 mph. Pretty good.

jeromeb
07-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Harley put the v twin rotax in their last production years of the buell and also in the buell racing bike. Strong bikes, I followed one through the gap last year. I know that the rotax has enough power because I learned that in a long boring day in traffic school along with a fine to emphasize the point. Caused by an over zealous day at the gap on a 2011 rt with bar and elkas. I now have a14 rt and fight temptation and emphasize the touring qualities of the bike. Leaving for Alaska in the morning.
jerry

dndfindley
07-25-2014, 09:58 AM
My Spyder has the Can-Am power increase knob. I just rotate it and can pass or keep up with anything on the road.

So you're saying you could "pass or keep up with" a Kawasaki ZX14 or a Suzuki Hayabusa? I suspect hyperbole.

dndfindley
07-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear that you don't need a new Anti-SwayBar for your bike. :thumbup:
But why are you so worried about what other folks post about them? :dontknow:
I don't have one on my 2014... I did on my 2010, and am trying to make up my mind about the mod for the new bike...

I am not worried about what other folks post about them. I was referring to the fact that some people make posts about being tired of certain topics because they think there are already too many posts on that particular topic while they ignore the kazillion posts on swaybars and laser alignments. I have nothing against either but if one is not going to complain about those posts then don't complain about other unrelated posts when many comments are made.

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 10:12 AM
...Everthing old; becomes new again... :D

Jeriatric
07-25-2014, 10:17 AM
After you've been here awhile, you'll see everything repeats itself, over and over and over. I hear you; some of this stuff gets old, quickly. I just have a tendency to bypass those posts because it's not going to change. You'll also find where some members think things they say are hilarious, and you're left scratching your head wondering if it's you or them.

:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Yeah, it's completely underpowered.
And the gear ratios for the SE/5 and probably SE/6 are just plain wrong.

Here's an example:
The other day I was trying to pull out a cherry tree stump and while I'm sure any Harley could have ripped that sucker out of the ground in no time, it took me over three hours to get it out with the Spyder.

the puny 106 hp (I know the OP claims four more with his exhaust, but maybe that would have made the stump pull 2 hours and 50 minutes) just couldn't do the job efficiently.

Sure on the open road I can pass anything I care to and once you develop a thorough understanding of the Spyder's handling characteristics you can out corner them too, but where it really counts the Harley wins hands down.

Next time I need a stump pulled I'm gonna find somebody with a Harley or maybe GoldWing, after all six cylinders must be way better than two or three.

:roflblack: :2thumbs:

When are you heading out? :dontknow:

billybovine
07-25-2014, 10:44 AM
I am not worried about what other folks post about them. I was referring to the fact that some people make posts about being tired of certain topics because they think there are already too many posts on that particular topic while they ignore the kazillion posts on swaybars and laser alignments. I have nothing against either but if one is not going to complain about those posts then don't complain about other unrelated posts when many comments are made.

There are never enough posts about some topics. Oil for example, there can never be too many posts about oil. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Which reminds me... I need to change the Canola oil in the frunk-mounted popcorn machine... :D

Dragonrider
07-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Few touring or cruising bikes offer more than 100HP - displacement, torque, wind surface area, and weight are the driving factors. The Spyder is NOT as aerodynamically smooth as a two wheeler (for obvious reasons), and it takes a lot of energy (HP/torque) to get and keep it moving. The Spyder has three tires on the ground, and a lot more rolling resistance than a two wheeler - same issue.

The physics are not really apples to apples - you are better off comparing the Spyder to a car or an ATV - a permanent convertible.

All I'm saying is enjoy your Spyder for what it IS, not what it's not..... and let your buds try to keep up on a gravel road....

Yazz
07-25-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't have'em and will never have'em on my current 2012 RT. It is stock. All I have done is have the front shocks adjusted to their firmest setting. I don't have any problems in the twisties (and I live 30 minutes from the Dragon) and I have no problems on the interstate amongst semi's doing 80 mph. If you like'em - fine. There was a post a few days back on another thread about how the poster thought that particular topic (fast sportbikes) had run it's course i.e. he was tired of it. Does anybody ever get tired of hearing about swaybars and laser alignments? Or are you waiting for post number 1 million on the matter? That will probably be in the next few days.

Don't understand how not having a sway bar on at RT has anything to do with putting one on a RS?
The RT and the RS are two different rides.

As for the rest of your post, hope you feel better for getting it off your chest. There are some topics I don't care for too. So I don't read them.

MarkLawson
07-25-2014, 01:25 PM
I would enjoy more acceleration.

BajaRon
07-25-2014, 04:27 PM
I would enjoy more acceleration.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't?

Topshotta
07-25-2014, 04:43 PM

When you come across such post that are repetitive or does not make sense to you.....simply ignore it and move on.

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Is there anyone here who wouldn't?

THIS fellow seems pretty happy with the Status Quo... :D

Dan McNally
07-25-2014, 05:23 PM
When you come across such post that are repetitive or does not make sense to you.....simply ignore it and move on.

:agree: . . . just because you read a previous post (or thirty) doesn't mean everyone else did . . . :lecturef_smilie:

wyliec
07-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Isn't that the same thing as bypassing them, which is what I said.

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 05:31 PM
:dontknow:
I think that it's a case of:
"You say 'Poe-Tay-Toe', and I think that I say 'Golf Cart'." :roflblack:

wyliec
07-25-2014, 05:43 PM
:dontknow:
I think that it's a case of:
"You say 'Poe-Tay-Toe', and I think that I say 'Golf Cart'." :roflblack:

Thanks. You've proved my point.

ARtraveler
07-25-2014, 06:06 PM
I see this thread has kind of reached the PO point for some. Ill keep watching though. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Kind of like watching a train-wreck unfold... :yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Two things - they are sportbikes or in the case of the liter bikes - supersport bikes. It's a crotch rocket to cagers. Secondly you state that as a cop you chased people on motorcycles. That presented more of a danger to the public than the motorcyclist ever did. The only justification for doing that would be if the rider presented a very real and present danger to other parties if he escaped i.e. he had just murdered someone or he was going to murder someone. As to who wins - a sportbike or a car - just watch any of the Ghostrider videos on Youtube and see him toy with cops in cars.
Mr Findley how in the world did you know that I only chased known " MURDERER'S " on motorcycles ..............It was too difficult to tell who was going to murder someone .........I guess we could have just chased some ' HELL'S ANGEL'S ' :gaah: :clap::roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack: ...............................................dnd you really crack me up .....Mikeguyver :thumbup::thumbup:

lwrydr
07-25-2014, 07:24 PM
My RTL is fast enough to scare the heck out of me so I am a happy man....don't like to be scared....

wyliec
07-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Kind of like watching a train-wreck unfold... :yikes:

Conductor Bob

vided
07-25-2014, 07:52 PM
I started reading this thread and became so underinterested.
i'm just sayin. :yikes::yikes::banghead:

Rockwall
07-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Wow, I guess I came up with a topic of interest, over 1,400 views in 24 hours!:doorag:

wyliec
07-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Wow, I guess I came up with a topic of interest, over 1,400 views in 24 hours!:doorag:

Did you get your answer?

It was more interesting when it got off topic.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Did you get your answer?

It was more interesting when it got off topic.
:clap::clap::clap:.........It usually does :gaah: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :shemademe_smilie:

flaggerphil
07-26-2014, 12:06 AM
My RT-AC can cruise all day at 75mph with both my wife and myself on it...and towing a trailer. It doesn't even breathe hard. IMHO that's not underpowered.

YMMV.

dndfindley
07-26-2014, 01:27 AM
I see this thread has kind of reached the PO point for some. Ill keep watching though. :thumbup:

See! See! This is what I was talking about:)

dndfindley
07-26-2014, 01:32 AM
Mr Findley how in the world did you know that I only chased known " MURDERER'S " on motorcycles ..............It was too difficult to tell who was going to murder someone .........I guess we could have just chased some ' HELL'S ANGEL'S ' :gaah: :clap::roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack: ...............................................dnd you really crack me up .....Mikeguyver :thumbup::thumbup:

Just so you know I wore the badge for a few years. As to pursuits and your post above: If you don't know you don't chase if the public might be put in jeopardy. An old worn out saying passed about is that "a radio is faster than a vehicle anyway." If there are no other law enforcement vehicles positioned to intercept then the chasee gets to go home scot free.

Topshotta
07-26-2014, 05:21 AM
Isn't that the same thing as bypassing them, which is what I said.

My friend I was in agreement with your post........totally. I guess I should have made it clear

wyliec
07-26-2014, 06:24 AM
My friend I was in agreement with your post........totally. I guess I should have made it clear

Sorry.

I think I need to step away for awhile.

Once again, sorry.

robmorg
07-26-2014, 06:52 AM
:D I try to just speak the truth... :D Sometimes you come off with the post that just makes me chuckle. Considering exactly where that post fell in the thread, I thought it was apropos. ;)

Topshotta
07-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Sorry.

I think I need to step away for awhile.

Once again, sorry.

You did absolutely nothing to say sorry..........we are just cyber conversing........it's all good

does that mean you're stepping away for a ride? Great idea, it's nice outside right now, think I am going to do the same.

Rick H.
07-26-2014, 02:31 PM

I take it you were never a cop and that you never helped an M.E. or coroner clean up after a bad motorcycle crash. You should give it a try sometime perhaps you would change your mind after you placed all the "remains" into plastic bags. By the way, those remains are all evidence and must be tagged and bagged as such. It's a wonderful experience one never forgets.

I worked as an LEO for over 30 years, 25+ as a state trooper. I chased a few motorcycles in my time, but not one ended up in a fatal before coming to an end. The vast majority of fatal motorcycle crashes take place when the rider thinks he was in the clear and started pushing his luck and experience. And add in a dash of alcohol for more courage. So accordingly by your thought process the police should never pursue motorcycles and just let them run until what? Until they stop of their own accord or crash on their own or run out of gas? How would you feel if the motorcycle the cop decided not to pursue ran into the driver doors of the car a loved one of yours was operating?

I made a practice to never tell a doctor how to do his job nor most anyother professional. I always figured they had the training and experience I didn't. One should be careful not to throw criticism at someone unless you have walked in that persons shoes. And if Ghostrider movies are your benchmark for what really takes place with motorcycles and squad cars you need to broaden your horizons a smidge.

Rick

Bob Denman
07-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Please take a look at #91... :thumbup:

dndfindley
07-28-2014, 01:29 AM
I take it you were never a cop and that you never helped an M.E. or coroner clean up after a bad motorcycle crash. You should give it a try sometime perhaps you would change your mind after you placed all the "remains" into plastic bags. By the way, those remains are all evidence and must be tagged and bagged as such. It's a wonderful experience one never forgets.

I worked as an LEO for over 30 years, 25+ as a state trooper. I chased a few motorcycles in my time, but not one ended up in a fatal before coming to an end. The vast majority of fatal motorcycle crashes take place when the rider thinks he was in the clear and started pushing his luck and experience. And add in a dash of alcohol for more courage. So accordingly by your thought process the police should never pursue motorcycles and just let them run until what? Until they stop of their own accord or crash on their own or run out of gas? How would you feel if the motorcycle the cop decided not to pursue ran into the driver doors of the car a loved one of yours was operating?

I made a practice to never tell a doctor how to do his job nor most anyother professional. I always figured they had the training and experience I didn't. One should be careful not to throw criticism at someone unless you have walked in that persons shoes. And if Ghostrider movies are your benchmark for what really takes place with motorcycles and squad cars you need to broaden your horizons a smidge.

Rick

Your pompous post kind of pissed me off Rick, not that it will bother you. As a matter of fact I spent 11 years as a police officer, not as many years as you but enough to say I have more than a little experience. If you chased anyone, car or motorcycle, at high speeds and all you have on them is that they were speeding, failed to yield to blue/red lights, suspicion of DUI or any number of other traffic/misdemeanor violations then YOU - Rick - put the public at risk. Don't get all high and mighty on me. During my first couple of years we were allowed to chase anyone who ran and I had my share but that was because I was relatively young and dumb. When liability issues caused the department to revamp the pursuit rules we were to follow at a safe speed if the motorist failed to stop unless we had it on good authority that the person in the vehicle had committed a violent felony or that he/she was subject to committing one if allowed to escape. Needless to say there were very few pursuits after that. You are so typical of most state troopers - I didn't care much for them when I wore the badge and care even less for them now. Most, not all, are little short of jack booted storm troopers with an ego and attitude to match. Let the flames begin.

Bob Denman
07-28-2014, 06:40 AM
:shocked: Okay... Who wants some ice cream?? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_76.gif
Did you guys see Jeff Gordon win his 90th race yesterday??
Man oh man; his car was strong!! :thumbup:
He's the only guy with 5 wins at the Brickyard 400 too!

That new Slongshot looks interesting... I have to admit that I was completley wrong in my assessment of the timeframe for it being brought to market...

What kind of weather are we gonna have this week...
I hope that we can all get our bikes out and ride! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-28-2014, 09:25 AM
:shocked: Okay... Who wants some ice cream?? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_76.gif
He's the only guy with 5 wins athte Brickyard 400 too!

That new Slongshot looks interesting... I have to admit that I was completley wrong in my assessment of the timeframe for it being brought to market...

I hope that we can all get our bikes out and ride! :thumbup::gaah::gaah::gaah:.....Bob , my last name is LONG , and I posted I am looking seriously at the Polaris so are you IMPLYING something here....:lecturef_smilie:.....:dontknow::dontknow: ......... :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::yikes::2excited:....................... ..your Bro, Mikeguyver :thumbup::thumbup:

dndfindley
07-28-2014, 12:45 PM
He's the only guy with 5 wins at the Brickyard 400 too!

I hope that we can all get our bikes out and ride! :thumbup:

Good post:)

Bob Denman
07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks! :D
I hate to see hatchet fights get started among my good friends...
Now Jell-O wrestling; that's another story! :D :2thumbs:

Dan McNally
07-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Wow . . . what the :cus: happened to this thread? :yikes: Was someone handing out steroids and testosterone tablets? :shocked: :popcorn:

Bob Denman
07-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Nahhh... :D
This happens all of the time! :2thumbs:
There might be a few ruffled feathers in here every once in a while...
But just watch how well we all pull together, when some outsider bashes our Spyders! :clap:

Yazz
07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Kumbaya and s'mores anyone? :)