PDA

View Full Version : Ride Handling & Improvement

bigsmoke
07-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Here's my question to all you veteran Spyder riders.

Thinking of buying Elka shocks stage 1 plus, this is a $750. plus purchase. (lots of $$)
My question is,

A) does the addition of Elka shocks really make a difference when riding.
B) Does the BahaRon Sway Bar improve the handling with out adding the Elka shocks.
C) do you have to have to add both

Your comments will be appreciated.

SpyderAnn01
07-24-2014, 10:12 AM
What year and model is your Spyder? The stock shocks were different pre 2013. I have had a 2010, 2011, 2013 and now a 2014 RT and I have had stock shocks on all of them. On the 2010 I did swap out the OEM shocks for OEMs from a 2012. I have had a BajaRon Sway Bar on all of my Spyders and it helps tremendously with the handling. In my opinion it is not necessary to spend the big $$ on Elkas. Why not try a sway bar and see how you like it. I think the bar is the best bang for your buck.

oldguyinTX
07-24-2014, 10:21 AM
I do not know about the Elka shocks, but from the many posts here folks love them and they do seem to make a difference. As to the BajaRon swaybar, I had one installed & got a laser alignment and the :ani29: is a different machine now, a huge improvement. My 2013 RT is at the dealer now for maintenance, and I am having them price the Fox shocks that come on the 2014 RT, as they will fit my '13. Check Ebay, Iv'e seen them for - I think - $395/pair. But definitely do the sway bar. It will make your :ani29: happy, and you too.

sddinnh
07-24-2014, 10:41 AM
the Fox shocks that come on the 2014 RT, as they will fit my '13. Check Ebay, Iv'e seen them for - I think - $395/pair. But definitely do the sway bar. It will make your :ani29: happy, and you too.

The Fox's do NOT come standard on the 2014's - they are an add-on to that as well. The 2014's come with a non-adjustable shock. Although it may be better than previous years (??) I still feel that adjustable is the way to go. So you have three choices, the new Fox that BRP sells for $499, the Elka Stage 1 with no rebound adjustment for $599, and the Elka stage 1+R with rebound adjustment for $795

I put the Bajaron bar on and while there was some difference, it was not enough for me so I ordered Elka's 1+R shock. I figure that it's pricey, but I asked around and got really good feedback on this shock plus it's going on a $30,000 machine so why skimp on the shock? As Bajaron said in another post, "There is more to a shock than if it is adjustable or not" and Elka has a really good reputation.

JMHO to do with what you wish.

bigsmoke
07-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Question on the Baha Ron Sway bar,
how much is it, and how difficult to install,
do Spyder dealers sell these.

bigsmoke
07-24-2014, 11:14 AM
What year and model is your Spyder? The stock shocks were different pre 2013. I have had a 2010, 2011, 2013 and now a 2014 RT and I have had stock shocks on all of them. On the 2010 I did swap out the OEM shocks for OEMs from a 2012. I have had a BajaRon Sway Bar on all of my Spyders and it helps tremendously with the handling. In my opinion it is not necessary to spend the big $$ on Elkas. Why not try a sway bar and see how you like it. I think the bar is the best bang for your buck.
My Spyder is a 2009 GS with 22150 miles

SpyderAnn01
07-24-2014, 11:18 AM

The BajaRon sway bar is $179 but I highly recommend that you also replace the plastic heim links with Ron's billet aluminum ones which are $69. Some dealers will do the install and some may not. If you have a jack or ramps and a few tools it is a DIY project.

sddinnh
07-24-2014, 11:25 AM

In that case, the Fox's may not be an option. I'm not sure they have them for that model / year. Check with your dealer as they do come on the 2014's and maybe they'll fit.

garb55
07-24-2014, 11:27 AM

I had a 2008 GS
I put the Baja Ron sway bar and the Elka stage 1+ on the bike
Made a totally different bike. It was great
I now have the 2014 RTL with the Baja Ron sway bar.
It will be getting the Elka shocks [no brainer]
for me I'm going with what I know works
Don

oldguyinTX
07-24-2014, 12:01 PM

You have to buy the sway bar from BajaRon. Dealers only sell BRP bars. Ron (rnet on this site) in Accord, NY installed mine & did a laser alignment as well. There is a dealer about 7 miles down the road that will update B.U.D.S after the alignment. Took about 10 minutes. Ron sets that up. Definitely do the Heim links as well. PM rnet for scheduling & pricing.

MouthPiece
07-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Yes
Yes
Not necessarily
and above all get a Rolo Laser Alignment performed.

Chris

Crewesn
07-25-2014, 05:17 AM

Thinking of buying Elka shocks stage 1 plus, this is a $750. plus purchase. (lots of $$)
My question is,

B) Does the BahaRon Sway Bar improve the handling with out adding the Elka shocks.

:agree::thumbup::clap:

Highwayman2013
07-25-2014, 05:55 AM
We have an Rt and the sway bar helped a lot, but with the alignment the true ease of handling was revealed. We still have the stock shocks.

rnet
07-25-2014, 07:53 AM
You have to buy the sway bar from BajaRon. Dealers only sell BRP bars. Ron (rnet on this site) in Accord, NY installed mine & did a laser alignment as well. There is a dealer about 7 miles down the road that will update B.U.D.S after the alignment. Took about 10 minutes. Ron sets that up. Definitely do the Heim links as well. PM rnet for scheduling & pricing.I see my son's sponsor add is now posted, so now I am able to talk about it. So new Lamont has not had his intro yet. Tires, alignments and BajaRon stocking dealer and installments.

Chupaca
07-25-2014, 11:28 AM
to find out how well things work you have to do each change one at a time and see where you stop..I did the sway bar and hiem joints from Bajaron and was amazed. Set stock shocks up and rode that way for a few months. I later add the shock relocation blocks from pittbull and again saw big improvement. Readjusted stock shocks. I may go to the RT shocks which are said to help and are cheap (all those folks with elkas you know). Not having ryden one with elkas or race tech can't say but also can't afford them :shemademe_smilie: hear say you can do the elkas or race tech and that will be enough...not seeing it...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-25-2014, 11:35 AM
I see my son's sponsor add is now posted, so now I am able to talk about it. So new Lamont has not had his intro yet. Tires, alignments and BajaRon stocking dealer and installments.

:congrats: :yes::ohyea::yes: :2thumbs:

Do I need to mention... :welcome: too?? :roflblack:

Omcge
07-25-2014, 12:22 PM

My question is,

A: Yes They make for a very stiff ride .If you like to go fast thru the corners they will probably help. I had mine on about 3 wk and took them off because I had rather have a smoother ride. That's one reason I bought my spyder was because I was impressed with how smooth the ride was. I do like to stay on the back roads.

B: Yes For normal riding that's probably all that you need to do.