PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug change interval?

jroberts650
07-24-2014, 07:44 AM
I bought my RT last month and have put 1,100 miles on it since then. Haven't seen any issues with hesitation or any misses, so with a total of 16,000 miles should I invest in changing the plugs and wires? I see where BRP recommends changing them at 12,000 but I'm not really sure if the previous owners had it done at that service interval. I thought about waiting until winter to do little odds and ends like that as right now I really would like to get the laser alignment done and a vented windshield.

Anyone have any insight to the plug and wire change?

AbNormy
07-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Buds can tell service history. Replaced mine @ 14000 but plug s that came out looked new hardly worn wires as well

SPYD3R
07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
IF YOU DO REPLACE, REPLACE WITH THE IRIDIUM PLUGS.....
SINCE IRIDIUM PLUGS LAST FOR UPWARDS OF 100,000 MILES IN A CAR, AND OUR SPYD3R's ENGINES REV TWICE WHAT A CAR ENGINE DOES, I WOULD SAY IT'S SAFE TO FIGURE ON 50,000 MILES BETWEEN REPLACEMENT.... I HAVE 35,000+ MILES ON MY IRIDIUM PLUGS, AND THEY STILL LOOKED IN GREAT SHAPE WHEN I PULLED THEM AT 25,000 MILES... ROCK ON.... :yes:
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SYPD3R

Dan McNally
07-24-2014, 08:32 AM
I'd suggest replacing the plug wires with a premium set (like the one's Baja Ron sells) . . . plug wires do fail over time, and, from what I've read, the front wire takes a real beating when removing it from the front plug. As for spark plugs, at a minimum, they should be removed and inspected, if for no other reason than to ensure the threads don't seize over time from dissimilar metal corrosion. When that happens, it costs a lot more than what is saved by not changing them!

bluestratos
07-24-2014, 09:19 AM
I changed mine at 20,000 on my 2011 and they still looked like new. My 2014 rev's much lower I doubt these plugs need to be changed before 40k but I am sure we will see more feed back on this as members start getting more miles on the new 1330.

Chupaca
07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
I would change them as mentioned above with the iridium plugs and wires as well. BajaRon has good deals on them and you will not have to worry about it for a long time. I did mine at about 16,000 and it helped improve the ignition (started quicker and responded better). We manufactured Bosch plugs for a few years in south america and learned a lot about plugs...:thumbup:

jroberts650
07-24-2014, 09:36 AM
I'd suggest replacing the plug wires with a premium set (like the one's Baja Ron sells) . . . plug wires do fail over time, and, from what I've read, the front wire takes a real beating when removing it from the front plug. As for spark plugs, at a minimum, they should be removed and inspected, if for no other reason than to ensure the threads don't seize over time from dissimilar metal corrosion. When that happens, it costs a lot more than what is saved by not changing them!

Yeah I plan on doing the set from BajaRon but wanted to do it this winter. Since I'm 4,000 miles past the recommended change would I be ok to do it this winter?

jroberts650
07-24-2014, 09:41 AM
I would change them as mentioned above with the iridium plugs and wires as well. BajaRon has good deals on them and you will not have to worry about it for a long time. I did mine at about 16,000 and it helped improve the ignition (started quicker and responded better). We manufactured Bosch plugs for a few years in south america and learned a lot about plugs...:thumbup:

Yeah I had read where after the change the ignition is alot smoother and should get better fuel mileage. I just wanted to get an alignment and vented windshield before doing the plugs.

BajaRon
07-24-2014, 01:36 PM
The biggest factor in lifespan for the OEM wire set is heat. If you live, ride in high temperature areas you're wires many not even last 12,000 miles. If you're in cooler temps you may get 20k out of them.

The 2nd biggest factor is if the wires have been moved around. Those that work on their Spyder and, even gently, move their wires around as they do maintenance or mods may also experience a short life span on wires.

The 3rd issue is vibration. If you ride rough roads frequently you will probably be shortening your wire life span.

If you plan to change your spark plugs, you run a very great risk of damaging your OEM wires beyond serviceability. They will look perfect and maybe even new on the outside. It's the inside that carries the spark energy that fails. You can't see it but you can certainly tell they are bad when you run your Spyder.