PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ! I need a little help please !

Top End Unlimited
07-24-2014, 04:38 AM
I have been a Harley rider all of my adult life. But getting up in the years, last Sat. I purchased a 2012 RT. So far I absolutely love it. I just have one question for now. It says I have a 6.6 gal. fuel tank. Last night I was actually worried about running out of fuel. On the "E" for a few blocks. When I did put fuel in it, I only put 4.5 Gal. to the top. Is this common ? I do have the separate fuel gauge. :2thumbs:

Gray Ghost
07-24-2014, 05:34 AM
Enjoy the ryde, remember that you now have an engine that likes higher RPMs than you are used to.

jcthorne
07-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Actually the tank up through 2013 was 6 gal. The 2014 is 6.6

That said, most I have ever put in my 2013 was 5.3gal. It was on the last bar on the gauge and the fuel light had been on for a while. Did not run out though. Always wondered if the last bar would go out before really running out....Might have to try and find out. With spare fuel can on board of course.

Luvs2Ride
07-24-2014, 05:58 AM
and congratulations on your new ride! I have a 2012 RTS-SE5 - fuel tank size is 6.6 gal. When the fuel light comes on, I have about 2 gals left in the tank. Have learned to rely more on the trip odometer mileage than the low gas fuel light. So... yes, I'm usually adding around 4 gals or so of gas unless I run it down more. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

vided
07-24-2014, 06:31 AM
The 2014s have a 6 gallon tank, before that they have a 5 gallon tank. Enjoy the ryde, remember that you now have an engine that likes higher RPMs than you are used to.

SO TRUE !!!:2thumbs:

Top End Unlimited
07-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Thanks so much ! This is a whole different ride for me and loving it everytime I get a chance to get on. I also see that the members on here are astonishing. Hope to meet up with some of you someday!:bowdown:

jthornton
07-24-2014, 06:35 AM
The single best thing you can do on a 2012 RT IMHO is to get the BajaRon sway bar. It is also a very cost effective mod at ~$200 or so and super easy to install. Makes the 2012 corner like it is on rails...

JT

Top End Unlimited
07-24-2014, 06:42 AM
The single best thing you can do on a 2012 RT IMHO is to get the BajaRon sway bar. It is also a very cost effective mod at ~$200 or so and super easy to install. Makes the 2012 corner like it is on rails...

JT
Thanks JT . Yes , I have been on here for the last 2 weeks trying to figure out first, if I wanted to buy one....now reading and listening to all the other members on what they are doing. The sway bar is already on order. Thanks again and enjoy your ride !:2thumbs:

Eagle1
07-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Welcome and enjoy the ride. :coffee::coffee:

StanProff
07-24-2014, 07:04 AM
As said, your tank is actually 6.6 gals. The .6 is very hard to utilize by the design of the tank. The gas gage is just a reference point so always reset the odometer when filling up and when you get to 140 miles or so get gas. If you count on 6 gallons at 30 mpg (i usually get at least 30 and sometimes 32 or 33mpg or a little more) your looking at 180 miles to total empty. Many times I have logged 150 to 160 and still can only get 5.5 gals or so in the tank. Everyone gets paranoid when we see a low fuel light come on but you will have 30 miles or more at that time. I admit it does take a long time to ignore the gas gage and get comfortable running 140 or 150 miles but simply doing the math should make you feel better.
Another note, RPM's, You have a sport bike engine with the 998 Rotax. It loves higher rev's. Run it above 4 thousand rpm's (4300 to 4500 ) for your gear change points . The engine will be more efficient and a lot happier. Forget about 5th gear unless your on an interstate or highway running 65 mph or so. DON'T WORRY, the Rotax will be very happy with you!

Phyllis
07-24-2014, 08:33 AM
I have been a Harley rider all of my adult life. But getting up in the years, last Sat. I purchased a 2012 RT. So far I absolutely love it. I just have one question for now. It says I have a 6.6 gal. fuel tank. Last night I was actually worried about running out of fuel. On the "E" for a few blocks. When I did put fuel in it, I only put 4.5 Gal. to the top. Is this common ? I do have the separate fuel gauge. :2thumbs:

That is pretty common for the 2012. I learned to reset my mileage each time I filled up and based the fill up on that. The warning light came on before you needed to fill up. Now have a 2014, the warning light seems to be more accurate. Enjoy your ride, the 2012 was a good year.

Tango
07-24-2014, 08:51 AM
:welcome::2thumbs::clap:

jthornton
07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Thanks JT . Yes , I have been on here for the last 2 weeks trying to figure out first, if I wanted to buy one....now reading and listening to all the other members on what they are doing. The sway bar is already on order. Thanks again and enjoy your ride !:2thumbs:

Thanks and you enjoy your ride too. Dunno if you know but if you unplug the analog gauges the digital ones show up on the display. You can see the gas gauge in this photo.

JT

Craniac
07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Always wondered if the last bar would go out before really running out....Might have to try and find out. With spare fuel can on board of course.

Yes, the final bar goes out before you run out.

Top End Unlimited
07-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Thanks and you enjoy your ride too. Dunno if you know but if you unplug the analog gauges the digital ones show up on the display. You can see the gas gauge in this photo.

JT

Yes I was thinking about that, but someone said on here that the temp gauge will go off also. ????

jthornton
07-26-2014, 05:41 AM
Yes I was thinking about that, but someone said on here that the temp gauge will go off also. ????

Yes, as soon as you unplug one analog gauge then both digital gauges show up on the dash and the remaining analog gauge stops working.

JT

Top End Unlimited
07-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Yes, as soon as you unplug one analog gauge then both digital gauges show up on the dash and the remaining analog gauge stops working.

JT

Is it more reliable with the fuel gauge on the digital ? And are you saying the temp gauge will show up too ?

jcthorne
07-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Yes, temp and fuel show up on the display screen as bar graphs. I have found the fuel gauge more accruate than the analog version. Temp about the same but works fine.

I replaced my analog gauges with volt and oil pressure gauges.

Joseph T
07-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Hello Folks,
I too am a new Spyder rider. I have ridden Metric and HD for many years, but when the " kneesels" start to kick in...well...time to go to 3 wheels.
I parked a 2011 RT in my garage next to my Road Glide Ultra a few weeks back...know anyone who is interested in a HD touring bike?
I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed the ride on the Spyder...still getting used to the gas gauge and the other idiosyncrasies of the Can Am but having a blast.
Any words of wisdom on maintenance and what NOT to have the dealer do ?