PDA

View Full Version : Michelin (hydroedge) Defender rear tire pressure

gottago
07-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know what tire pressure I should run in a Michelin Defender( replaced the hydroedge-same tire different name) I have used 2 kenda's this year because of center tire wear. I have run them at 24-26 lbs. with no discernible difference. So I purchased a Michelin, hoping for better mileage. The tire says 40lbs. but that just doesn't seem right on a bike. I was thinking 30-32 lbs but will take any advice given. Thanks in advance. Jim

Ford 1
07-23-2014, 07:12 AM
use 26 to 28 lbs, works best for me

sddinnh
07-23-2014, 08:03 AM
I just bought a Hydroedge and I'm going to try 28 psi. They mount it Friday.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know what tire pressure I should run in a Michelin Defender( replaced the hydroedge-same tire different name) I have used 2 kenda's this year because of center tire wear. I have run them at 24-26 lbs. with no discernible difference. So I purchased a Michelin, hoping for better mileage. The tire says 40lbs. but that just doesn't seem right on a bike. I was thinking 30-32 lbs but will take any advice given. Thanks in advance. Jim

the tire only states its' maximum air capacity it never knows what it is installed on

sddinnh
07-23-2014, 08:21 AM
the tire only states its' maximum air capacity it never knows what it is installed on

That's what I'm thinking too. So, I'll start with the factory recommended 28 psi and keep an eye on them. They gotta be better than the Kenda's :sour: The Defender may be the same, but looking on-line they have a different tread pattern than the Hydroedge

jtoro1
07-23-2014, 08:23 AM
28 psi works for me

Marker
07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Rear tire on spyder is Kenda Use 30psi would think that it would be around same pressure for spyder

Chupaca
07-23-2014, 09:51 AM
always start with the vehicle pressure recommondations. You have to find the best ryde for your weight and style from there. Someone mentioned placing a chaulk line on the tire and rolling around to see if it erases even. This could help but tires baloon at speeds wearing the middles faster. For wear I would run on the lower side...jmo :thumbup:

sddinnh
07-23-2014, 09:53 AM
BRP
COLD TIRE PRESSURERECOMMENDATION:

Front
Nominal 15 PSI
Minimum 13 PSI
Maximum 17 PSI

Running your Kenda front tires at 24-26 lbs. is why they are wearing in the center. I have Bridgestone Potensa RE92 165/65R14s. I run 22 PSI and I am very happy with the tires.

Those tire pressures are for the FRONT not the rear that we're talking about. And what year book are you quoting, the year makes a difference in what BRP has reccomended for tire pressures.

MarkLawson
07-23-2014, 10:48 AM
I've been running 28 in my rear Michelin HydroEdge for a couple of year. Wear pattern is even.

The pressure stamped on the side of any tear is the Maximum pressure for that tire. Tire manufacturers (not talking about tire retail stores) generally will tell you to go with the vehicle manufacturer recommended pressure.

sddinnh
07-23-2014, 10:52 AM
I've been running 28 in my rear Michelin HydroEdge for a couple of year. Wear pattern is even.

Mileage? A couple of years infers that it's lasted well for you.

AbNormy
07-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Got around 21k miles on my Hydroedge probably another 5k left

gottago
07-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks to all of you that responded to question. I'm going with 28 Rear, I just cant do 3 kendas a year. I run my front at 17.5 to 18 and rear has always been 25. Thanks again, we'll see how these do. :bowdown:

sddinnh
07-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Good luck and we'll keep each other informed on how we do :clap: 21,000 - 26,000 miles is looking pretty good to me after going thru a Kenda in 6500 miles

MarkLawson
07-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Mileage? A couple of years infers that it's lasted well for you.

As I am at work right now, I cannot take a look at the odometer to tell you. I did do a post on this tire sometime back & you might find something useful there:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59965-Tire-Size-amp-Speedometer-Correction-Evidence

sddinnh
07-23-2014, 11:37 AM
As I am at work right now, I cannot take a look at the odometer to tell you. I did do a post on this tire sometime back & you might find something useful there:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?59965-Tire-Size-amp-Speedometer-Correction-Evidence

Thanks Mark, interesting read. I guess I lucked out because when I walked into my Michelin dealer and asked for a good rain tire in 215/60/15 he looked and he had two remaining Hydroedges in that size in his warehouse. I probably should go back and get the other one if this one works out.

Magdave
07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
What size did you buy I do not see it sold in a 225/50/r15 size :dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-23-2014, 02:29 PM
...Waiting to see how the mileage reports look...
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

sddinnh
07-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Got around 21k miles on my Hydroedge probably another 5k left

...Waiting to see how the mileage reports look...
:bbq::bbq::bbq:

Doesn't this answer your question :dontknow: I think they are going to work just fine :thumbup: Plus I didn't have the luxury of sitting around and waiting. I'm headed out on a long trip up into Canada if a few weeks and my Kenda on the rear is shot enough so I wouldn't trust it on a long trip

R FUN
07-23-2014, 06:10 PM
I am running a hydroedge at 28psi and is wearing even. Should get great milage by the looks of it as in 3500 miles only down 1\32. Tire started @! 10/32. We run two up always.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-23-2014, 06:40 PM
:gaah:........Please pay attention people .....Almost all car tires are " FOUR " ply.....unlike Kenda which are TWO ply.......this makes a big big difference.........The car tire is constructed for a vehicle that weighs in the vicinity of 3200 to 4000 lbs.......Our Spyders range from 775 to 1075 lbs........therefore you do not need 28 lbs of pressure to keep the rim off the ground .....in fact you could almost ( don't try it ) run them with out air in an emergency.......If you do run them at higher pressure all you will be accomplishing is getting a " HARSHER " ride because the tire won't be as compliant .....................I hope this helps people to understand the difference ....at least till next week :yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:.....:agree:................Mikegu yver :thumbup: