PDA

View Full Version : Riding it is not an option

Topshotta
07-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Greetings Spyderlovers

i am looking to move my spyder from Northern VA to Pensacola FL. Can you recommend a shipping company?
Or can I rent an enclosed hauler/trailer?

thank you

Bob Denman
07-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Do you have a tow-vehicle at your disposal?
It's just a phobia of mine :shocked:; I don't trust shipping companies... I've seen the damage that they can do! :gaah:

Topshotta
07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Do you have a tow-vehicle at your disposal?
It's just a phobia of mine :shocked:; I don't trust shipping companies... I've seen the damage that they can do! :gaah:

I have a F150 that I can tow it with.

Bob Denman
07-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Perfect! :thumbup:
You'll just need a relatively low trailer with at LEAST a 65" width ramp and opening to the bed...
An enclosed trailer would be ideal; but not 100% necessary...
If money isn't a big deal; buy what you need, and sell it at your destination. Folks are always looking for trailers!
(After all; you are too! :D)

Eagle1
07-23-2014, 07:06 AM
Towing it yourself would probably be the least expensive and you know it is safe. Check for rental companies in the area, Ryder, Budget etc Good luck.

Bob Denman
07-23-2014, 07:09 AM
If you rent a trailer; please make sure that the ramp is long enough to give you the gentle "angles" that you need to load a Spyder...
You don't want to auger the nose into it at it's base, and you don't want to "High-Center" the bike as you start up onto the trailer platform... :shocked:

arntufun
07-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Problem solved........................:thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lq3WgTmgZPg

maliamd
07-23-2014, 08:26 AM
We haul our bikes between Fl and NC every year. We checked into haulers and found them to be somewhat fragmented and disorganized. We just did not feel comfortable transporting our 2 RT-S with a commercial hauler. We decided to purchase a trailer. Now we not only have a trailer to haul our bikes between Fl and NC but we can trailer our bikes to other locations if we want to. We love having the option of riding or trailering.

Chupaca
07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
the masses have spoken and doing it yoursefl is best all around. Weather you buy or rent have a safe trip and enjoy ryding over there....:thumbup:

H2O
07-23-2014, 12:08 PM
To ease the transition from the ramp to the trailer deck, look for one that has what they call a "dovetail". The trailer manufacturer slopes the rear 12" or so down so it makes a less abrupt change from ramp to deck. Also look for the option of a bi-fold ramp. It is usually a little longer when folded out than a one piece ramp, and when going down the road the bi-fold ramp is not sticking up so high in the air stream.

rlynchtx
07-23-2014, 01:06 PM
I used Uship to find transport for both of my spyders. Just had an ATV shipped this week using them too. I've used them a bunch over the years and never had a single problem. They have a rating system like Ebay, where you can look at user reviews before you accept a transporter's bid.

BTW, the ATV, while just a little smaller than the spyder, was only $350 to ship from the San Diego, CA area all the way to Dallas, TX. They picked up Monday and are delivering ATV to me this afternoon.

joet82
07-23-2014, 03:01 PM

I have done this several times in my F-450. Using 4 strap to tie down the Spyder. 2 to the rear of each front wheel tieing them forward and 2 to each side of the frame just in front of the rear tire pulling them to the rear of the truck. if you tighten them down right, the Spyder won't bounce anywhere.

I also recommend removing the tailgate first so that it doesn't get damaged by the tail gate due to weight of the Spyder.

Bob Denman
07-23-2014, 05:07 PM
What sort of ramps did you use to get your bike up into the the 450?
That must be quite a climb in reverse... :shocked:

SpyderAnn01
07-23-2014, 05:54 PM

We used to haul one of Joe's bikes in the back of the pickup truck. We had an ideal hill on our property but we spent hours on occasion looking for an acceptable hill to offload on. (Don't think an RT would fit in the bed of any pickup though)

Denny B.
07-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Quite a few shippers out there. Harley used to recommend an outfit but I forget who it was. Since Harley's are the heaviest bikes, the shipper really needs to know their stuff about safe tie downs.

flamingobabe
07-24-2014, 05:00 PM
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=LOR

maybe this will help

CentralCoastCA
07-24-2014, 05:23 PM
When I sold my GS, the buyers used Haul Bikes. On our end, we were very impressed with their service, the truck and transport (super clean) and the updates we got from the company. The buyers were also very satisfied on their end too. Spyder was transported from California to Illinois and Darrell was the driver.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-24-2014, 09:42 PM
When I sold my GS, the buyers used Haul Bikes. On our end, we were very impressed with their service, the truck and transport (super clean) and the updates we got from the company. The buyers were also very satisfied on their end too. Spyder was transported from California to Illinois and Darrell was the driver.
I second the suggestion of Haulbikes.com. But, and this is a big BUT, don't use them if you are on a critical timeline. They specialize in hauling motorcycles, ATVs, and watercraft on trailers. As such, they transport when they have a full trailer load, which means your bike might sit for awhile while they assemble a full load. They are the contract haulers for HD trikes.

Spacetrucker
07-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Put on the traine way cheaper. Then you can go with it an ride it home. Then back on train to home.