PDA

View Full Version : Hindle Exhaust or Fog Lights at the time of Spyder delivery? Which would you choose?

Greg H.
09-25-2008, 05:04 AM
As my delivery time approaches next week, I am now considering possibly getting a Hindle Exhaust instead of Fog Lights. If I did this, the fog lights would probably be my next added option down the road. With everything else that I am getting in the beginning, I am not going to do both.

I have a few reasons for maybe going with the exhaust first. One: I think the added noise might help keep deer away. I have 20+ miles of road just going to work everyday that is 2 lane country road, much of which is wooded. This time of year, more and more deer are going to be out. The Hindle is, in my option, the best looking of the aftermarket pipes that I have seen. Sure! It looks aftermarket! But, it looks aftermarket in the same way Tubi exhausts look on a Ferrari. It looks like it's supposed to be there. The Hindle, at this time, seems to be the most toned down exhaust, as well. And, when I rode the Spyder demo at my dealer, I really liked the sound. And, I know any exhaust much louder, I would grow tired of. If I wanted to switch back to the stock pipe on occassion, that shouldn't be that big of a deal, either.

Does the Hindle really add the 4 claimed additional horsepower that they advertise? Not sure. Of course, it would make sense that it would add some.

So; Hindle or Fog lights, first? What would you do?

gjco
09-25-2008, 05:21 AM
I have the 2 brothers pipe but it makes know diff. I would get the fog lights. The reason I say this is because out of the 2 mods the lights are the hardest and the longest to do. save time and the headache get the lights

spyder13
09-25-2008, 05:37 AM
don't fool with the fog lights install HID light and you won't need fog lights

zzneonzz
09-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey Greg,

Would really depend on if you are being charged install on the fog lights if you get them installed prior to taking possession. If you are then i would say get the fog lights now since they take longer to install (Saving on labor charges later) and then add the hindle as your next mod.

bjt
09-25-2008, 05:50 AM
If you get the Hindle, don't pay to have it put on unless you really hate getting your hands a little dirty. This is one of the easiest installs to do. Loosen the clamp, remove the spring, remove the hanger bolt, slide off stock pipe. Reverse the steps to install the Hindle. If you want to go back to the stock pipe, try to salvage the gasket that is used for the stock pipe. The Hindle doesn't use a gasket.

Lamonster
09-25-2008, 06:36 AM
I'd get the fog lights. I'd rather see the deer and take countermeasures than hope my exhaust note scares them.... Besides, additional lights make me more visible to other drivers, far more dangerous to us than wildlife....
:agree: You may find a pipe you like better than the Hindel later and if you can get them to install the fog lights you would be way ahead of the game, they are a pain to install.

NancysToy
09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Add my agreement to the list...foglights. Arrange with the dealer to have them installed at the time of prep. The Spyder comes with the trunk already off. Our dealer cut the labor in half that way. Also financed the accessories installed, and the installation as a result. An added bonus is that all accessories installed prior to deliver carry the same warranty as the Spyder. Make sure they are listed on your acceptance papers.
-Scotty

Last Spyder
09-25-2008, 07:28 AM
:agree:There are too many other options on the exhaust. I got the fog lights, and later put the HID headlights. In the future I may replace the fog lights with HIDs too, but you need the fog light option to add HIDs to them as I understand it!!!

Greg H.
09-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Great replies, everyone! As far as ZZ's and my dealer go; all accessories purchased at the time of the Spyder delivery are installed for free. :clap:

I think my best bet, like most of you said, is to go with the fogs at delivery time. :thumbup:

Thanks! :)

boogllasti
09-25-2008, 10:42 AM
If they will install for free - for sure do the fogs!

The Hindle is a 15 minute install - The fogs take well over an hour.

The Dealer can't legally install the Hindle - but I guess some are doing it anyway.

You WILL need to replace that ugly stock pipe sometime! :D

beerman
09-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Let me take the unpopular choice, take the hindle. The lights are way overpriced!! (in my mind) You can buy and install your own lights for much less.

spyderbitten
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Far as I know only the BRP foglights fit the Spyder. I installed mine, and yes, they are a pain in the butt. I also drice 20+ miles of 2 lane winding country roads loaded with deer. Fog lights help light the roadsides quite nicely. I also have the HID's from No Magic Neon and the micron exhaust.
My opinion is do the lights first. Visibility is increased at least 50%. The exhaust is cool, but not a real need for safety. Not only will the lights help you spot wildlife, they will also allow other drivers to spot you.

Mike

baldev
09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I am taking delivery of the SE in about 2 weeks, rode the SM for 4 months and thanks to very sensible comments I am also going with the fogs first. I did the installing on the SM using aftermarket HIDs that cost me $159 and they work brilliantly.
The SM was sold at price I paid!!
Still waiting for the corbin seats..it has been 7 weeks.

Can anyone help me out, if the fog lights will take similar HIDs or is there a different # involved.

SSL4X4
09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes I agree I got the fog lights and love em!! Next is the exhaust...think I will do the duals by two brothers. Congrats!! At least you have decisions to make and not have to wait anymore!!

NancysToy
09-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Can anyone help me out, if the fog lights will take similar HIDs or is there a different # involved.
They are a different bulb. H3, as I recall, vs. H7 headlights...or is it vice versa? It's :cus: to get old! The real question is whether or not they have a special clip or attachment, like the headlights. In that case just any old HID replacement may not work, as some available headlight HIDs do not. See a recent thread with posts by Daddy Darko, MM, and Lamonster for the sordid details. You need to do a little homework. Let us know the outcome.
-Scotty

pphantom538
09-25-2008, 08:08 PM
The fogs. Better to see tah to sound good bouncing through the woods!

ima rider
09-25-2008, 11:34 PM
I had my dealer install fogs. They said it was much easier(and cheaper for me) if they installed during the setup (before it was all put together). Like others stated, the Hindle is easy to put on yourself and its nice to be seen with all those lights in front. Have fun on the new:spyder: when you get it:yes:

bjt
09-26-2008, 05:57 AM
After seeing lamonster's demo of the NoMagicNeon HID kit for the Spyder fog lights in person, I would say to get the fog lights then be on the lookout for the official release of the NoMagicNeon HID kit for the fog lights. They really add to the brightness of the lights from about 10 feet to about 40 feet directly ahead of you. Truly amazing.

Greg H.
09-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Again; everyone, thank you for the great input on this thread! Wow! :thumbup: Unanimous votes for the Fogs! :clap:

Turns out; that ZZ'z and my dealer is having a ride to the Shiloh (Civil War battleground) on Sunday, Oct. 5th. From where I live, which is actually in between the dealer and Shiloh, is about 100 miles. And, depending on the route chosen, can be about 80% highway/20% 2 lane (backroad boogie ;)), or from here... 100% 2 lane. :yes:

If the timing is right, I'm thinking my Spyder will be at the dealer this coming Wed. or Thurs. It takes (let's say) 1 day to add the accessories, and that very well might give me all Saturday (Oct. 4th) to ride. Then the Shiloh ride is the following day. And, I'm taking a vacation day on the 6th. :thumbup:. Yeah; I figure within a week, the Spyder will be back at the dealer for the 625 mile service! :yikes:

Star Cruiser
09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I'd get the fog lights. I'd rather see the deer and take countermeasures than hope my exhaust note scares them.... Besides, additional lights make me more visible to other drivers, far more dangerous to us than wildlife....

:agree: I have the Fog lamps and it enables you to see betteer, as well as be SEEN.

IMRU3
09-27-2008, 01:48 AM
As my delivery time approaches next week, I am now considering possibly getting a Hindle Exhaust instead of Fog Lights. If I did this, the fog lights would probably be my next added option down the road. With everything else that I am getting in the beginning, I am not going to do both.

I have a few reasons for maybe going with the exhaust first. One: I think the added noise might help keep deer away. I have 20+ miles of road just going to work everyday that is 2 lane country road, much of which is wooded. This time of year, more and more deer are going to be out. The Hindle is, in my option, the best looking of the aftermarket pipes that I have seen. Sure! It looks aftermarket! But, it looks aftermarket in the same way Tubi exhausts look on a Ferrari. It looks like it's supposed to be there. The Hindle, at this time, seems to be the most toned down exhaust, as well. And, when I rode the Spyder demo at my dealer, I really liked the sound. And, I know any exhaust much louder, I would grow tired of. If I wanted to switch back to the stock pipe on occassion, that shouldn't be that big of a deal, either.

Does the Hindle really add the 4 claimed additional horsepower that they advertise? Not sure. Of course, it would make sense that it would add some.

So; Hindle or Fog lights, first? What would you do?

I got my fog lights along with other accessories at the time I picked up my Spyder as the dealer installed it for me. Saves you the trouble and time than doing it on your own. Luckily, my dealer installed all my accessories at no extra charge. If I were given a choice between the fog lights versus the Hindle, I would definitely choose the fog lights for visibility related to safety matters. The Hindle exhaust can be installed with lesser complication, less time and effort. Your reaction time in avoiding a deer if you see it at a distance would be faster than hoping to scare a deer away coming from the sound of a Hindle.