PDA

View Full Version : Cat bypass alternative...

outlawsix
07-21-2014, 09:02 AM
I see some folks going with the cat bypass and stating they will hold onto the factory cat. Well since my state has no emission regs, and no plans on moving where they are needed, here is my question. Has anyone taken the factory cat off, cut the cat part off, then slipped a piece of tubing over the now missing cat section, welded it up? That is what i will end up going with , or rattling the cat section innards out. Has anyone done this to the RTS or other bikes yet? If so care to give any insight, results?

nikki.ullis
07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
thats my plan for my RSS, haven't done it yet. Tagging along on this thread to see if anyone else has done it. I will let you know how mine goes once I get to that point. Not planning on doing it for a few weeks tho.

billrob71
07-21-2014, 10:47 AM
If you don't care about the cat you can do that there are hanger in the middle that you will need to put on it also. I'm not doing that just in case I do need it for the future there pretty expensive if you need to buy one

Motorcycledave
07-21-2014, 10:49 AM
I was not that many years ago, well maybe it was but here in California
when they started making it mandatory to have the converters on vehicles
a bunch of people would take the Cat off and gut it and put it back on so
it looked stock and that worked well until they started doing real testing
when you went in for a smog check, I also got a new car and took it off and
put a section of exhaust tubing in it's place but now the fine is so big it's not
worth the chance. In states that have little or no smog inspections.... look out
your time is coming, so if I were you because of the cost of a new converter
I would do the cat bypass and save your converter so if they pass new laws you
can reinstall it so you can pass inspection....
Just a suggestion from an old wrench.
Dave

finless
07-21-2014, 10:53 AM
While California does have smog checks for cars, they are not doing it on motorcycles yet!
If they start doing it my bet is it will be for new cycles and they wont make previous years do it.

But, if I ever do remove the cat, I will keep it just in case.

Bob

outlawsix
07-21-2014, 11:18 AM
I was not that many years ago, well maybe it was but here in California
when they started making it mandatory to have the converters on vehicles
a bunch of people would take the Cat off and gut it and put it back on so
it looked stock and that worked well until they started doing real testing
when you went in for a smog check, I also got a new car and took it off and
put a section of exhaust tubing in it's place but now the fine is so big it's not
worth the chance. In states that have little or no smog inspections.... look out
your time is coming, so if I were you because of the cost of a new converter
I would do the cat bypass and save your converter so if they pass new laws you
can reinstall it so you can pass inspection....
Just a suggestion from an old wrench.
Dave

Mr Dave I so get what you mean. However down here on the Gulf Coast none of the states do it, and i seriously doubt they ever would. Low population count relative to other areas also lessens the chance for emissions testing. We have strong winds that blow from the west as well as the Gulf makes its own weather patterns. I will indeed keep it in mind Sir. I have pulled the factory exhaust off my 99 vette for improved performance. So figure would just rip it off of the RTS as well. Ive always been a DIY kind of guy hence the questions.

JacCh
It also might become a point when you go to sell or trade it in.

Craniac
There is an old thread showing the insides of the converter:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?53502-Looking-for-a-picture-of-the-inside-of-the-Spyder-RT-or-ST-catalytic-converter&highlight=converter+inside

The exhaust enters the front of the converter, goes to the rear, turns around and comes forward through the actual catalyst, turns around again and exits the rear.

It is not a simple task to gut it.

outlawsix
07-21-2014, 11:25 AM
There is an old thread showing the insides of the converter:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?53502-Looking-for-a-picture-of-the-inside-of-the-Spyder-RT-or-ST-catalytic-converter&highlight=converter+inside

The exhaust enters the front of the converter, goes to the rear, turns around and comes forward through the actual catalyst, turns around again and exits the rear.

It is not a simple task to gut it.

Well that eliminates gutting the cat :D

Craniac
07-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Well that eliminates gutting the cat :D

I think a smallish hole could be drilled in the front of the cat. Perhaps less than an inch. Then the guts knocked out of the catalyst. Getting the pieces out could be a problem. Then have the smallish hole welded shut.

While you are inside the cat, drill several more smallish holes through the center divider that holds the catalyst. The exhaust could then pass front to rear. It should open up the exhaust flow and make the converter run MUCH cooler.

Obviously I have spent far too much time thinking about this.

Bob Denman
07-21-2014, 12:46 PM
There's nothing wrong with thinking "outside the box"... :thumbup:

...As long as you know where the box is; should you need it at a later date! :shocked: