PDA

View Full Version : Question to the Spyder Guru's out there

Cajunborn
07-18-2014, 09:01 PM
I was riding my 2014 SE6 RTS bike to Moab. Bike handled flawlessly even with a 30 to 40 mile cross wind. Question is I experience heat from the middle compartment right on top of seat next to it. I was wondering if I put in a cut out piece of foam to insulate the head from me would that present a problem. Cause if I did that would it send the heat elsewhere and probably make a small problem into a bigger problem.

Other than that have almost 1400 miles on Spyder and rode it in 102 degree weather today with no problems other than the heat coming from the compartment. The wind I experience was no problem just had to dance along with her but it was not as bad as I have heard some people talk about, I have never experience wind problems even with my 2009 Spyder.

Thanks

bruiser
07-18-2014, 09:56 PM
I put a heat blanket between the fuel tank and seat on my wife's 2010 RTS. She was complaining of heat on her thighs. I used a starter heat blanket from Advance Auto. You might want to consider something like that.

Spacetrucker
07-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Our 14 has no heat coming from that spot?make shure your fans are working ok. They should come on when heat get about 101. The 14 teens really don't get that hot . Check water and fans to.

shooter
07-18-2014, 10:18 PM
How can you tell if the fans on a 2014 RT come on? So far I haven't heard mine come on and I have the same heat issue as above.

Cajunborn
07-18-2014, 10:43 PM
The motor is not running hot but I feel heat from the top where seat meets the compartment. The heat blanket previously mentioned might do the job. But engine temps were normal, another thing it was a really really hot day and the heat from motor coming up from under seat and through the top compartment that is all minor probably on any other day.

Cajunborn
07-18-2014, 10:45 PM
The fans do come on but only when I am in traffic or going really slow only time I have heard radiator fans come on.

shooter
07-18-2014, 10:50 PM
When I noticed it was last Sunday riding in 102 degree day.

Cruzr Joe
07-18-2014, 11:48 PM
I would suggest trying the BRP adjustable vents or removing the non-adjustable in the summer and replacing them in the winter for a better air flow around that area of the bike.

The removal is the easiest option and if that don't work put them back on and it cost nothing.

Cruzr Joe

SpyderAnn01
07-19-2014, 12:37 AM
The fans do come on but only when I am in traffic or going really slow only time I have heard radiator fans come on.

I think what you are talking about is the fans reversing at low speeds. That is pretty noisy but when the fans run normal it is a little harder to hear

Bob Denman
07-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Riding in triple-digit temperatures? :dontknow:
No matter WHAT you do; it's gonna be hot! :shocked:

Remove the lower air deflectors, and put something into the top compartment to act as a barrier, and it's not going to be any cooler outside in the sun...

Sorry...