PDA

View Full Version : Clean face shield

Eagle1
07-18-2014, 03:06 PM
What are the suggestions for cleaning scratches on a tinted face shield.

ARtraveler
07-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Me too!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Pirate looks at --
07-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Scratch it in the first place. I use a microfiber towel and some Plexus Plastic cleaner. I was taught that when cleaning the face shield, or the windshield of the RT, never rub them in a circular motion as this leads to swirl marks. I have had my current shield a year, and no scratches. :yes:

Fat Crip
07-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Best thing is to avoid scratching in the first place as these things ain't cheap. I clean my visor and screen by laying a sheet of soaking wet kitchen paper on them for a few minutes. Wiping away the worst of the detritus with the same soaking wet paper then drying with the sort of large microfibre cloth that photographic shops sell for camera lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan_Ashley
07-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Plexus. Spray clean in kitchen faucet. Shake most of the water off. Shake it again. Spray plexus. Microfiber polish. Plexus and polish a second time.

garb55
07-18-2014, 07:32 PM
What are the suggestions for cleaning scratches on a tinted face shield.

I don't clean it
I look around the bugs:joke:

Chupaca
07-18-2014, 07:53 PM
plexus, protect all or similar. Clean in a horizontal or vertical motion. Scratches in already will not get better. If bad or bothersome replace the shield... :thumbup:

SNOOPY
07-18-2014, 08:30 PM
plexus, protect all or similar. Clean in a horizontal or vertical motion. Scratches in already will not get better. If bad or bothersome replace the shield... :thumbup:

:agree:

And i use Protectall

NorCalBud
07-18-2014, 11:07 PM
I just used Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish on my tinted face shield and it's made a world of difference. I was going to buy a new one, but had this on hand. I swear, it's now almost like new! It had a lot of small wind scratches, no major stuff, but was pretty worn.
It's marketed for cleaning headlights, but also says Plexiglas and motorcycle windshields, etc...
It cleaned my RT's windshield really good to, but that wasn't nearly as bad. I'm sold on this stuff!

Eagle1
07-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys. The scratches are small, so should be able to clear up. :coffee::coffee:

sddinnh
07-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys. The scratches are small, so should be able to clear up. :coffee::coffee:

Novus makes a kit of progressively finer grits that will polish scratches out of windshields and helmet visors

missouriboy
07-20-2014, 01:40 PM
We got some fairly deep scratches in an almost-new face shield (non-tinted). I used Meguiars PlastX, the stuff for clearing yellowed headlights, and it worked beautifully. The scratches aren't completely gone, but they're diminished greatly.

It's kind of difficult to use, though. Once you start, you can't quit until you've worked it out to every edge of the surface. Follow the directions explicitly; this is no ordinary oxidation cleaner.