PDA

View Full Version : Drop or two of oil on belt?

Flamewinger
07-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Talking about vibration (on FB Spyder Owners page) while riding and what is causing it and what can be done to stop it. The answers were mostly using a belt tensioner. A few mentioned using a drop or two of oil or grease on the belt every so often (like after washing it) and this will smooth out the belt and lessen the vibration? ???:hun:

jerpinoy
07-18-2014, 03:10 PM
I will not do it it could ruin the belt.

jtoro1
07-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Talking about vibration (on FB Spyder Owners page) while riding and what is causing it and what can be done to stop it. The answers were mostly using a belt tensioner. A few mentioned using a drop or two of oil or grease on the belt every so often (like after washing it) and this will smooth out the belt and lessen the vibration? ???:hun:

I have nerer heard of that fix

finless
07-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Its in the manual guys.

Bob

jtoro1
07-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Its in the manual guys.

Bob

Thats good info can you tell us where to find it in the manual

revjvegas
07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
:agree: yup.

I believe it was even in a service bulletin.

Not oil, but syn grease about the size of a pea on your pinky finger applied to the belt. More to stop the squeal or squeak some experience.

finless
07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Thats good info can you tell us where to find it in the manual

When I get home I will scan the page.

Bob

finless
07-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Here is the BRP service bulletin.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45980&d=1336678835

Bob

jtoro1
07-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Here is the BRP service bulletin.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45980&d=1336678835

Bob

Thank you the Info , what manual are you using that has service bulletins i like to use the best manuals available

billrob71
07-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Has that bulletin been updated says till 2012?

Chupaca
07-18-2014, 10:10 PM
I can see it help with vibrations..if the belt can slip into the notches smoothly rather than a dry hop it would help. Fear not..that bit of grease will spread to the whole belt and there is no way the belt could ever slip..jmo..:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Thanks, Bob! :thumbup:
While I really don't see this as doing much more than silencing a squeaky belt; it couldn't hurt! :D

KX5062
07-19-2014, 10:08 AM

I read finless' posting from the manual (thanks again :clap:), but that seems like bad engineering and a band aid approach to a problem. To my way of thinking, the fix is to make sure the belt is properly aligned and has proper tension. All of these drive belts are made at the same factory using the same methods and are designed to run dry.

The old thread about the Krikit II belt tension adjustment method is a winner in my book. :thumbup: After reading that thread, I loosened my belt to slightly below factory specs and I never had any belt noise again. No weird vibration and no skipping or any misbehavior. I think the factory settings are too tight. I think they do it that way to accomodate inattention to the belt and stretching over time, but I think it's overkill and leads to these other problems.

Pennyrick
07-19-2014, 01:59 PM
I had the squealing early on with my 2012 and took it in the dealer just as that service bulletin came out. One small application solved the problem but it came back just before the next oil change.

They lubed it again and I bought a tube of the special grease they used.

I have lubed the belt regularly since then (about once every couple of thousand miles) and have never had a vibration or a squeal. Now have 24,000 miles on it.

MikeinGA
07-19-2014, 02:40 PM
I used Prestone Belt Dressing for over 3 years on my 2011 RS-S SE5. I spray it on every time I change oil and when I put it away for storage. Belt dressing is safe for all belts and extend the life of the belt. I was told never to put grease or oils on any belt. Grease and oils will attract dirt and dry a belt out. When using belt dressings only use a small amount, 5 sprays 2 seconds long is all that's needed. Jack the back tire off the ground, put in 1st gear with the engine running, spray, let run for 5 minutes, and let the belt dry for 10 minutes after it stop. Belt dressing is a dry lube and will not collect dirt or wash off. That's IMHO.

Mike

DriftersWay
07-19-2014, 03:07 PM
I used Prestone Belt Dressing for over 3 years on my 2011 RS-S SE5. I spray it on every time I change oil and when I put it away for storage. Belt dressing is safe for all belts and extend the life of the belt. I was told never to put grease or oils on any belt. Grease and oils will attract dirt and dry a belt out. When using belt dressings only use a small amount, 5 sprays 2 seconds long is all that's needed. Jack the back tire off the ground, put in 1st gear with the engine running, spray, let run for 5 minutes, and let the belt dry for 10 minutes after it stop. Belt dressing is a dry lube and will not collect dirt or wash off. That's IMHO.

Mike

I forgot all about belt dressing and it makes a lot of sense.
Thanks for reminding me