PDA

View Full Version : Octane booster?

viperryder
07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Has anybody thought of using standard gas and putting in the proper amount of octane booster? Just asking to see if it would be possible.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Has anybody thought of using standard gas and putting in the proper amount of octane booster? Just asking to see if it would be possible.
....Since all Spyders under most circumstances run fine on 87 octane IMHO , it's not necessary .............That being said there are others who will swear they run Faster, Smoother, Quieter, etc etc etc. on 104 Octane or higher :yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:...........................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Nope... But mine does run better, and get better fuel economy on 91... :thumbup:
It can't hurt; but there's no need to "overdose" it beyond the suggested 91 level... :D

But it's probably just cheaper to buy the higher octane fuel in the first place! :shocked:

OwnerOfHarriet
07-18-2014, 10:44 AM
BRP in my owners manual recommends 91 octane -- now I know that at higher altitudes, I can probably run less octane as well as in cooler weather - -but until we get to know the bike better -- it will be 91 octane when ever possible - and we will be tracking the fuel mileage closely

Bob Denman
07-18-2014, 10:48 AM
That's the BEST way to do it! :clap::2thumbs:

Verify what's going on with your bike, as you feed it the different fuels; there's no arguing with the numbers! :thumbup:

billybovine
07-18-2014, 10:48 AM
My 09 had no improvement in gas mileage or performance with 91 octane fuel. But the compression ratio was low and it only required 87 Octane. My 2013 is a higher compression engine and requires a higher octane fuel and I have run 87 octane fuel and the drop in fuel mileage has been dramatic. So just use the fuel that BRP tells you to use.

As for use of an octane booster. I just cannot see carrying around an extra bottle of stuff to pour in my tank every time I fill up. It seems to me a lot easier just to push the high octane button on the pump.

Bob Denman
07-18-2014, 10:57 AM
:agree: Yup! :thumbup:
I saw over a 2.5 mpg improvement in 93, versus 87 on my 2010 bike...
The pre-2013 RS/GS bikes were set up to run on 87...
All RTs, and all of the Post 2012 bikes: they suggest 91 octane.

billybovine
07-18-2014, 11:07 AM
:agree: Yup! :thumbup:
I saw over a 2.5 mpg improvement in 93, versus 87 on my 2010 bike...
The pre-2013 RS/GS bikes were set up to run on 87...
All RTs, and all of the Post 2012 bikes: they suggest 91 octane.

My calc was 3 mpg difference and that is so close I would call it the same as you found.

Chupaca
07-18-2014, 11:12 AM
don't have figures but running a higher octane fuel vs lower octane fuel plus octane booster costwise would be close the same. There is not that much difference per tank using the higher octane fuel. Jmo...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-18-2014, 12:06 PM
The BIG question: :shocked:
The difference in the cost,between the two approaches... :dontknow:

SPYD3R
07-18-2014, 01:05 PM
I'VE TRIED IT ALL..... 87, 89, & 93 OCTANE, BOOSTERS, etc....
and i find ZERO difference in performance, mileage, etc....
run on 87 and you'll do just fine...
The ONLY additive i use is STA-BIL, BLUE.... not for performance, but to keep the rubber parts from deteriorating from this garbage gas our gov't is feeding us.... OH, and once in awhile, i add a bottle of injector cleaner....
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Bob Denman
07-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Dan....
You're on a 2009 RS; they were BUILT for 87 octane! :banghead:
This is the 1330 area; they run a much higher compression ratio!

ARtraveler
07-18-2014, 01:31 PM
That's the BEST way to do it! :clap::2thumbs:

Verify what's going on with your bike, as you feed it the different fuels; there's no arguing with the numbers! :thumbup:

I like the above approach. Here we go with another octane thread--but I learn something new each time.

Me: All my previous :spyder2:'s seem to run better on higher octane--here 90. When forced to use lesser (here 87) there seems to be less power. So far the 2014 has only drank 90 proof. Now up to 40 mpg--so am not complaining.

How much more expensive to put shots of octane booster in to raise your octane higher?

:popcorn: :popcorn:

ulflyer
07-18-2014, 02:58 PM
I'VE TRIED IT ALL..... 87, 89, & 93 OCTANE, BOOSTERS, etc....
and i find ZERO difference in performance, mileage, etc....
run on 87 and you'll do just fine...
The ONLY additive i use is STA-BIL, BLUE.... not for performance, but to keep the rubber parts from deteriorating from this garbage gas our gov't is feeding us.... OH, and once in awhile, i add a bottle of injector cleaner....
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Ditto my '11 and now with the '14....no difference.:D

Dan_Ashley
07-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Do NOT use mothballs. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT.

A long time ago moth balls were made from naphthalene. Napthalene has an octane rating go 90. If you add it to regular gas, it will increase your octane a little bit--not much. If you add it to premium it will reduce the octane levels. AND IT WILL FOUL YOUR FUEL INJECTORS AND MAKE THE MOTOR STOP RUNNING.

Now most mothballs are made out of paradichlorobenzene. Paradichlorobenzene will create hydrochloride acid when it burns. This will eat holes into your cylinder walls.

DO NOT USE MOTHBALLS. unless you want to buy a new engine, that is.

Eagle1
07-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Do NOT use mothballs. DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT.

A long time ago moth balls were made from naphthalene. Napthalene has an octane rating go 90. If you add it to regular gas, it will increase your octane a little bit--not much. If you add it to premium it will reduce the octane levels. AND IT WILL FOUL YOUR FUEL INJECTORS AND MAKE THE MOTOR STOP RUNNING.

Now most mothballs are made out of paradichlorobenzene. Paradichlorobenzene will create hydrochloride acid when it burns. This will eat holes into your cylinder walls.

DO NOT USE MOTHBALLS. unless you want to buy a new engine, that is.

Besides it is hard to catch enough moths to do the work.
😸🐛

Bob Denman
07-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Dan,
Thanks for reminding us about the change in mothballs... :thumbup:
Somebody might have figured to use it as a cheap way to boost octane: NOT SO MUCH... :yikes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Nope... But mine does run better, and get better fuel economy on 91... :thumbup:
It can't hurt; but there's no need to "overdose" it beyond the suggested 91 level... :D

But it's probably just cheaper to buy the higher octane fuel in the first place! :shocked:
...Bob are you aware that " TEXAS " only uses 87 octane with ethyl in it and He claims He is getting in the vicinity of 42 MPG .....AVERAGE :clap::clap::clap:.....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Good for him! :thumbup: Although I notice that he hasn't joined in the party yet...

garb55
07-18-2014, 09:43 PM
I live at 6500 ft and I always run 91 octane
I travel from 6500 ft to 8000 ft to sea level
My mileage changes every time, anywhere from 30.5 to 44.9
it all depends on how I ride and what the weather conditions are
Don

BajaRon
07-18-2014, 10:40 PM
I've got an 08 RS. 10.8:1 compression ratio is pretty high to be running on 87 octane. (Though not as high as the 2013 998).

I tested 87, 89 and 91/93 for about 6,000 miles. One trip from east Tennessee to San Diego and back. I consistently got 2-3 mpg better with 91/93 octane. Saw no discernible difference in mileage between 87 and 89 octane. So I run premium fuel.

I am sure it would be more expensive to use an octane booster to go from 87 to a higher octane than just getting it out of the pump. Octane booster is for those who need more than pump available octane.

Octane prevents knock or pre-ignition. Used to be that Octane was the only way to control this. But these days they just put knock sensors in the system and retard the ignition timing to prevent knock.

This allows them to recommend a lower octane than what you really should be using. Since you don't always need the higher octane, you can run 87 and when you get to the point where you do need higher octane, you get retarded ignition instead.

Retarding the ignition reduces engine efficiency and lowers horsepower, which translates into lower fuel mileage. The hotter it is or the harder you run your Spyder, the more you'll need a higher octane fuel. The colder it is the less octane is needed.

And there are other factors as well like humidity, etc. So if you're in climates where your ambient temps are 80 or below, you're probably not going to see as much (or any) improvement with higher octane than someone that is consistently running in the 90's or higher. My trip to California was in 90-100+ degree weather most of the time.

Bob Denman
07-19-2014, 07:23 AM
"I've got an 08 RS. 10.8:1 compression ratio is pretty high to be running on 87 octane. (Though not as high as the 2013 998)."

Thanks for posting the numbers, Ron! :thumbup:
(The 991 series engines, are up over 12:1. I think that the 1330s are up in the same range as well...)

Lamonster
07-19-2014, 08:06 AM
:shocked::yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXnviRNux2c

Bob Denman
07-19-2014, 08:15 AM
But I'll bet that you ran cooler, smoother, had more power, and used less gas! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_15_8.gif :D

Tango
07-20-2014, 12:08 PM
With my 2014 RTS I get 2mpg better with 93 vs. 87. :popcorn: The Spyder is happy, I'm happy. I also use blue Stabil starting in November. Never know when that last ride of the season will come. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Well... HOPEFULLY that won't be until the end of February; right before the first ride of the season, at the beginning of March! :D