PDA

View Full Version : Need hitch-ball height measurement.

roddenby51
07-17-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't yet have a hitch for my spyder, but am buying a trailer (tomorrow) anyway. I need the measurement from the ground, to the top of the trailer-ball, preferably a BRP hitch. This will help me decide on 12" or 13" wheels for my trailer... your help is appreciated.

Air Force PAO
07-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Howdy. I have 15 inches.

Good ryding.

roddenby51
07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Howdy. I have 15 inches.

Good ryding.
Thank-you!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-17-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't yet have a hitch for my spyder, but am buying a trailer (tomorrow) anyway. I need the measurement from the ground, to the top of the trailer-ball, preferably a BRP hitch. This will help me decide on 12" or 13" wheels for my trailer... your help is appreciated.
:gaah::gaah:...........It doesn't make any difference .....................Look at it this way the Diameter of your wheels even with tires is only going to change by 1/2 inch....then how far is the axel from the ball 6 ft........Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo how much do you think that " INCH "matters.........................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

roddenby51
07-17-2014, 06:24 PM
:gaah::gaah:...........It doesn't make any difference .....................Look at it this way the Diameter of your wheels even with tires is only going to change by 1/2 inch....then how far is the axel from the ball 6 ft........Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo how much do you think that " INCH "matters.........................Mikeguyver :thumbup:
You should see the ball-mount collection I have for receiver hitches... I do like my equipment trailers to ride level.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-17-2014, 08:27 PM
You should see the ball-mount collection I have for receiver hitches... I do like my equipment trailers to ride level.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:......I suppose all the roads you travel on are absolutely level also and no hills either :yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:.......There is such a thing as taking things to far........Mikeguyver :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-17-2014, 10:57 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:......I suppose all the roads you travel on are absolutely level also and no hills either :yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:.......There is such a thing as taking things to far........Mikeguyver :thumbup:
You know Mike, once in awhile a little deference would be appropriate and appreciated.

I like my trailer to be level also. I made this one to pull behind my Goldwing, which had a ball height of 13". I had a swivel adapter for the couple on it. The ball height on my RT is 15". Yes, the 2" extra height at the coupler made the trailer look awful behind the RT, so I took the swivel adapter off (don't need it with the Spyder) and replaced it with the fixed adapter you see in the pic that raised the coupler 2". I'm all in with roddenby51 wanting to have the trailer sit as level as practical. But I will agree that the difference between 12" and 13" tires will only be 1/2".

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-18-2014, 07:30 AM
You know Mike, once in awhile a little deference would be appropriate and appreciated.

I like my trailer to be level also. I made this one to pull behind my Goldwing, which had a ball height of 13". I had a swivel adapter for the couple on it. The ball height on my RT is 15". Yes, the 2" extra height at the coupler made the trailer look awful behind the RT, so I took the swivel adapter off (don't need it with the Spyder) and replaced it with the fixed adapter you see in the pic that raised the coupler 2". I'm all in with roddenby51 wanting to have the trailer sit as level as practical. But I will agree that the difference between 12" and 13" tires will only be 1/2".
:gaah:.........How about some from YOU......a 2 inch difference at the BALL is a lot and very noticeable BUT that is not going to be the case with the Spyder ...annnnnnnnnnnd the poster wasn't talking about that ....He was talking about the effect 1/2 inch at the wheel was going to make on the ANGLE of the trailer .................well I don't think it's even measurable with normally " owned " instruments ..................And you state ..." AS LEVEL AS PRACTICAL " ....well if you can't measure the difference I think that's as level as "PRACTICAL".............................you'r very welcome ....Mikeguyver :thumbup::thumbup:

91681!!!!!!see above in green

roddenby51
07-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Aluma MCT XL aluminum motorcycle trailer with 13" wheel and tire combination. Axle height difference between standard 12" wheel/tire and this 13" wheel/tire combination is 1-1/2", very noticeable with a 15" ball height... trailer rides level with 15" ball height.

I know that a 13" wheel increases ride height only 1/2" over a 12" wheel, but I won't be running on bare wheels. The 13" wheel allowed a considerable increase it tire size as well.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/flipr_photo/IMG_0419_zps63471818.jpg

roddenby51
07-25-2014, 03:43 PM
BRP hitch installed, Aluma trailer wiring converted to 4-wire with a 4-square connector to match BRP connector.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/flipr_photo/IMG_0420_zps5e25b49d.jpg

Just returned from shake-down cruise... tows great, lights work, ready for camping gear.