PDA

View Full Version : Baha Ron's Sway bar installation

Flamewinger
07-17-2014, 03:00 PM
It took lifting the Spyder 22 or more inches off the ground to get the old bar out and the new bar in. Not as easy as the install in an RT. Plus the fight to get the inserts in place didn't help. Worth it though.

Made a BIG difference in handling. No more fighting it around corners.

91665 91666

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Topshotta
07-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Looks dangerous.......but you got it done

Tazzel
07-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Yes the ST is a bear to get the swaybar on. I should have taken a picture of how we did it on my friends ST. He wouldn’t let me because it was a complete redneck plan. It involved a floor jack and cylinder blocks. Crank Crank insert cylinder block, Switch sides. Crank Crank insert cylinder block, Switch sides, crank crank and so on. lol
Titter todder, Hold her level !!!!!!!!, Crank Crank, insert cylinder block.

Would not recommend redneck process but it was exciting.

Trbayth
07-17-2014, 04:06 PM
What, you didn't balance it on a couple of basketballs and a propane tank?

Coward. ;)

Trb--

Chupaca
07-17-2014, 04:16 PM
yeah some are tougher that others. But you met the challenge and are enjoying the fruits of your labor..congrats..!! :2thumbs:

BajaRon
07-17-2014, 06:34 PM
It took lifting the Spyder 22 or more inches off the ground to get the old bar out and the new bar in. Not as easy as the install in an RT. Plus the fight to get the inserts in place didn't help. Worth it though.

Made a BIG difference in handling. No more fighting it around corners.

91665 91666

Susie - 2013 Spyder ST Limited
1983-2004 Goldwings. (5)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Must have taken a lot longer than your onlookers thought it would. Looks like they were there for quite some time! :yikes:

Flamewinger
07-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Rich used both lifts. One to get it up and the other just in case something slipped. I held the bike steady while he jiggled it. Made me nervous with it being so high. I helped some but he did most of the work.

Susie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dvandal
07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
I used car ramps to raise and install the swaybar when I did mine on a RT-S 2011 ... this has given me enough clearance to do the job easily. Total installation time was ~45 minutes.

BajaRon
07-18-2014, 08:49 AM
I used car ramps to raise and install the swaybar when I did mine on a RT-S 2011 ... this has given me enough clearance to do the job easily. Total installation time was ~45 minutes.

Apples and oranges.... Really BIG Apples and Oranges....

Pirate looks at --
07-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Looks dangerous.......but you got it done

Brave Woman!;)

golfsferr
07-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Does it have to be raised that high to remove and install a different sway bar? Is there an easier way?

chuck gross
07-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Does it have to be raised that high to remove and install a different sway bar? Is there an easier way?

the st needs to be raised high enough for the sway bar to go vertical in order to remove and install about 22 inches this is not necessary on the RT as the sway bar drops down in the horizontal position after you loosen and wedge the frunk about the thickness of the bar

BajaRon
07-23-2014, 11:20 PM

You need 18-20" of elevation on all 2013/14 Spyder models to remove and replace the sway bar. There really isn't any way around this other than the guy that had a stairwell doing down in his garage where he just parked his Spyder over the hole.

This amount of lift is not necessary on any pre-2013 model Spyder.

chuck gross
07-23-2014, 11:29 PM
good to know Ron thanks for the info I have your Bar on my STL and my Wife's 2011 RT man what a difference!:yes:

golfsferr
07-24-2014, 09:06 AM
You need 18-20" of elevation on all 2013/14 Spyder models to remove and replace the sway bar. There really isn't any way around this other than the guy that had a stairwell in his garage where he just parked his Spyder over the hole.

This amount of lift is not necessary on any pre-2013 model Spyder.

thanks for all the information. I really do want to put one of your bars on my STS. There's actually several things I want to do but until I find the new airflow side panels for my magnesium color STS and get them installed, I'm pausing. Plus now I need to find a good safe cheap lift system to get the 20".

pwpalmbay
07-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Is it worth the money to install a sway bar on an ST?

golfsferr
07-30-2014, 05:09 PM
thanks for all the information. I really do want to put one of your bars on my STS. There's actually several things I want to do but until I find the new airflow side panels for my magnesium color STS and get them installed, I'm pausing. Plus now I need to find a good safe cheap lift system to get the 20".

Ordered my new panels! So now can anyone recommend a good inexpensive lift system?

BajaRon
07-30-2014, 05:22 PM

I sell them so you have to take that into account. But my feeling is the ST needs a sway bar more than any other Spyder model made. That is because the weight/leverage to sway bar spring rate for the ST appears to be the lowest of all.

The 'S' in ST is supposed to stand for 'Sport'. But the ST I rode leaned a great deal and the Nanny was a constant nuisance in the twisties. But then I tried to ride it like my 2008 GS with Sway Bar installed.

Hopefully, some ST owners will jump in and give us their thoughts.

NM Wrench
07-30-2014, 06:24 PM
I will chime in. I bought Ron's bar and links. Installed this past weekend and boy oh boy does it ride like a different Spyder! It was indeed a bear to do but worth every problem to do it. I lifted mine just enough to get all the blots out and the upper one's back on the billet links. Then I jacked it up just high enough to get the bar out and get the Ron bar in. Then lower back down and finished it. To me it was more of a pain to remove all the plastic and radiator cover etc. to get to the bar and links. Again kudos to you Ron for doing what the factory should have and should do to these Spyders! It took care of the wind buffering and side wind from the big rigs. Highly recommended for anyone with a Spyder that hasn't already done it. It is money well spent!

pwpalmbay
07-30-2014, 08:32 PM
I sell them so you have to take that into account. But my feeling is the ST needs a sway bar more than any other Spyder model made. That is because the weight/leverage to sway bar spring rate for the ST appears to be the lowest of all.

The 'S' in ST is supposed to stand for 'Sport'. But the ST I rode leaned a great deal and the Nanny was a constant nuisance in the twisties. But then I tried to ride it like my 2008 GS with Sway Bar installed.

send me the link, Ron, or direct me to where I can buy this when I'm ready. Sounds like the way to go.

golfsferr
07-30-2014, 10:18 PM

Does it come with detailed step by step instruction?

BajaRon
07-30-2014, 10:29 PM
send me the link, Ron, or direct me to where I can buy this when I'm ready. Sounds like the way to go.

Just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com (fyredad@hotmail.com) and we'll take care of you.

Once the sway bar is in and you experience the potential of what your Spyder can do, there are other relatively cost friendly steps you can take to up your game even more. Believe me, incredible handling can be addictive!

Does it come with detailed step by step instruction?

Yes...

BMWpilot
07-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Worth every penny! :clap: I had the local dealer install it and the replacement Heim Joints for me.

golfsferr
07-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com (fyredad@hotmail.com) and we'll take care of you.

Once the sway bar is in and you experience the potential of what your Spyder can do, there are other relatively cost friendly steps you can take to up your game even more. Believe me, incredible handling can be addictive!

Yes...
please send me a link to get everything I'll need for my STS-SE5 and let me check it out!

BajaRon
07-30-2014, 11:00 PM
please send me a link to get everything I'll need for my STS-SE5 and let me check it out!

Everything you need (except the jack and tools) comes in the sway bar kit. Email me at fyredad@hotmail.com and I'll sent you a PDF copy of the install instructions for the 2013/14 ST.

Bryk
07-31-2014, 06:59 AM

BajaRon, I'm sure you sell an amazing product, and I'm sure it's priced reasonably well. However I have a hard time thinking I would need this. I ride fairly conservative speed wise, but love to hammer the twisties. I lean my body over the inside and can easily hammer out speeds where I feel would be my limit for speed.

Does this make that big of a difference? You claim the ST needs it the most, but when I test rode an RT it seemed completely unsporty. Does it make you need to lean less, muscle it less?

It sounds like car ramps are insufficient to do the mod? That's unfortunate, I'm not sure what could be used other than a full lift. Do you do the install for these at Spyder Gatherings? I'm not far from Spyder Quest (1 hour), I wasn't planning on going, but I could stop in if you're going to be there.

srk1074
08-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Everything you need (except the jack and tools) comes in the sway bar kit. Email me at fyredad@hotmail.com and I'll sent you a PDF copy of the install instructions for the 2013/14 ST.
I just ordered the kit. Now need installation instruction to give to my general purpose mechanic. He has lift or ramp equipment if needed. Thanks.
Neil K

BajaRon
08-01-2014, 04:34 PM
BajaRon, I'm sure you sell an amazing product, and I'm sure it's priced reasonably well. However I have a hard time thinking I would need this. I ride fairly conservative speed wise, but love to hammer the twisties. I lean my body over the inside and can easily hammer out speeds where I feel would be my limit for speed.

Does this make that big of a difference? You claim the ST needs it the most, but when I test rode an RT it seemed completely unsporty. Does it make you need to lean less, muscle it less?

It sounds like car ramps are insufficient to do the mod? That's unfortunate, I'm not sure what could be used other than a full lift. Do you do the install for these at Spyder Gatherings? I'm not far from Spyder Quest (1 hour), I wasn't planning on going, but I could stop in if you're going to be there.

Everything is relative. Most people don't purchase an RT with hammering the twisties as their main intention. The RT does benefit greatly from the sway bar install as it does add quite a bit of steering and lean control plus takes care of issues encountered with cross winds and buffeting when passing large trucks on the freeway.

With the ST, I think more riders are looking for the sport aspect with some storage for longer trips. The sway bar adds a great deal of stability in turns.

I've had a number of customers tell me that they didn't think they needed the sway bar, that they were completely satisfied with the way their Spyder handled in the stock configuration. But because their buddies kept hounding them to get one they decided to do it against their better judgement. Then I typically get an email or phone call from them saying they were amazed at the improvement the bar made. That they were only happy with the original setup because they didn't know what they were missing.

The bar isn't just for hard riders or twisty killers. It works for you from the time you pull out of your driveway until you get back home.

I've even had a few owners say that after they got used to riding my bar that they wondered if it was really working anymore... Until they rode a friend's Spyder that didn't have a bar and then they were impressed all over again.

My sway bars are not a silver bullet, nor are they magic. But they do make a big difference.

golfsferr
08-02-2014, 05:11 PM
If one uses the ramp style lifts, once you get it up on them, is there an obvious place to to put a adjustable jack to get it up the rest of the way to do the job. Are there any pictures or illustrations of the bottom side of a ST to understand what we're up against?

Netminder
08-02-2014, 08:21 PM

This is the way I went, took me a bit longer, but had to take the spyder pops bimpskid off and wax underneath etc, but that is just me being a a stickler!:sour:

golfsferr
08-02-2014, 09:56 PM

This is good to read, what is the ramp height on yours? They look like they're less than the 20" or so, that was suggested but a lot safer and convienent. Where did you find them?
Revised; didn't pick up on the fact of it being a RT, ST has more height requirements to remove

BajaRon
08-03-2014, 07:37 AM
This is good to read, what is the ramp height on yours? They look like they're less than the 20" or so, that was suggested but a lot safer and convienent. Where did you find them?
Revised; didn't pick up on the fact of it being a RT, ST has more height requirements to remove

It doesn't have anything to do with RT/ST/RS/RSS, etc. It's all about model year. Everything 2008-2012 needs just enough room to get under the Spyder to do the job. If you take the Frunk off, you don't have to lift the Spyder at all.

Everything 2013/14 must have about 20"-22" clearance from the FRAME to the GROUND. That doesn't mean 20"-22" of lift as the frame is 5" or so off the ground to start with. So 18" of lift is usually plenty.

Flamewinger
08-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Here are a few images in my ST up high enough to remove OEM sway bar and add new.

The first is a Craftsman lift with 4 4x6's and another similar lift under the middle just in case something slipped. The second image is the new (painted) BajaRon bar and white spacers. (I painted the corners red because you can see them but they did get scratched up a bit)

92657 92658

Bavarianami
08-19-2014, 06:07 AM

I'd say ABSOLUTELY worth the money. Got Bajarons sway bar which is much thicker than the OEM bar, installed it and the heim joints with a friend along with a pair of Fox shocks. The combination makes the Spyder so much more stable, even on rough surfaces I feel much safer. And around the curves it is just beautiful! Great ride now. :thumbup: Best from Bavaria! Rick