PDA

View Full Version : Did it really start this way?

Pennyrick
07-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Recently someone posted a question about the history of the Spyder and one of the responses mentioned that it would be nice if BRP would provide some background information.

One of the things that I heard at a gathering may or may not be true but again, it would be nice if BRP could verify.

Here is the story.....

A group of BRP folks were at a meeting sometime after the turn of the century (the one from the 1900's to the 2000's for you older folks) and were talking about how to expand their market. Apparently someone said..,"we have the winter market covered with our Ski-Do product and the watersports market is well served by the Sea-Do but how can we expand for more year-round presence?"

Then an engineer spoke up. "Why can't we just put wheels on a snowmobile?"

Could it have been as simple as that?

Chupaca
07-16-2014, 09:30 AM
On the other thread Roger posted an old snowmobile with wheels. And there are kits now to convert your spyder to a snowmobile so it was there it was just when to jump into the market with it. You are right it could be that simple...:thumbup:

Eagle1
07-16-2014, 09:34 AM
I can see that, great picture of 69 snow mobile.

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Could it?
Could one of the BRP executives have been listening to his favorite band, and have experienced a revelation after seeing this video?? :dontknow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3q3x-vB_JE

billybovine
07-16-2014, 10:29 AM
On the factory tour it somehow came up that I once owned a 2003 MXZ REV. One of the BRP folks said that the first prototype was a 2003 REV with wheels. I said I would like to see that if they still have it. He said it was in the design center and we were not allowed in there because we could see some super secret stuff.

So just imagine wheels on this.
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/uploads/garage_images/image_url-103295-1307574875.jpg

murphybrown
07-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Lived at the base of Mt Adams (that's in WA folks) back in early 60's..and could just step out the door and away we would go...
When my 2010 RT was delivered to me (yep I bought sight unseen, other than on internet, and without driving)....my very first thought was : Heck this is like sitting on one of our SkiDoos. :thumbup:

billrob71
07-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Yep just that simple , you can do a google search and find a orange RSS with skis and tracks and looks just like a real snow mobile so I don't see why it wasn't just that simple.

billrob71
07-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Here's a pic

ARtraveler
07-16-2014, 02:15 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Here's a pic
:agree: They've come full-circle now! :2thumbs:

billrob71
07-16-2014, 02:36 PM
:agree: They've come full-circle now! :2thumbs:

LOL
Nice but yeah that's the one

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
And just look how far we've come... :thumbup:

billrob71
07-16-2014, 09:28 PM
And just look how far we've come... :thumbup:

is that yours Bob?:b2b:

purplepig
07-16-2014, 10:17 PM
When people ask me about my Spyder(especially motorcycle people) the very first thing I say is "Have you ever ridden a snowmobile or ATV?" The Spyder ride is much more like those than like a motorcycle. I compare it to that perfect day when you unload the sled , hit the trail and the groomer is just pulling in off the trail you are about to take off on. Nirvana.
It is not hard to understand the jump from sled to Spyder. The really big differences are in the electronics and safety devices built in.
:spyder2:

Motorcycledave
07-17-2014, 12:48 AM
I do wish that BRP would make the Spyders look less like a snowmobile with wheels
a different body design is in order, however it is a good use of extra body parts to use
snow machine body sections I guess.

Bob Denman
07-17-2014, 06:53 AM
is that yours Bob?:b2b:

:D No... We only had a 1969 Nordic: a 371cc, with only 22 hp, and without the wheels...
In 1970; they got the 24 hp 399cc engine.

billrob71
07-17-2014, 07:29 AM
I had a saucer sled , and the only pony power was me pushing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrairieSpyder
07-17-2014, 08:21 AM
I had a saucer sled , and the only pony power was me pushing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had a sled because we don't have many hills. I feel so deprived!

sledmaster
07-17-2014, 08:44 AM
On the factory tour it somehow came up that I once owned a 2003 MXZ REV. One of the BRP folks said that the first prototype was a 2003 REV with wheels. I said I would like to see that if they still have it. He said it was in the design center and we were not allowed in there because we could see some super secret stuff.

That is correct, I rode several of the REV sleds with wheels. It was at a test track in Jennings, Florida. I believe it would have been January 2003. A select group of individuals was invited to preview a new vehicle concept from BRP and to provide their feedback on the feasibility of such a vehicle. I was the only one in attendance from the off-road disciplines (I am a snowmobiler and dirt bike rider, all others there were of automotive or motorcycle backgrounds).

Being most familiar with the Ski-Doo snowmobiles, I expressed great enthusiasm for the P0 or P1 prototype “REV snowmobiles with wheels” that we were able to ride around the motorcycle test track that day. It was a REV snowmobile up front with a motorcycle swing arm, tire and shock in the rear instead of a tunnel and a track. There was no stability system, as we could get the inside front tire up off the ground during hard cornering and I was told to “cool it” because, being a snowmobiler, I was really getting into being able to ride a sled on pavement and give ‘er heck. At that time there was a chain drive and if I recall correctly one unit was a shifter and one had CVT clutching. Seems like the V-twin 990 was already in the shifter, but I do not remember what engine might have been in the CVT unit. That was a long time ago and pictures were totally forbidden.

billybovine
07-17-2014, 08:48 AM
That is correct, I rode several of the REV sleds with wheels. It was at a test track in Jennings, Florida. I believe it would have been January 2003. A select group of individuals was invited to preview a new vehicle concept from BRP and to provide their feedback on the feasibility of such a vehicle. I was the only one in attendance from the off-road disciplines (I am a snowmobiler and dirt bike rider, all others there were of automotive or motorcycle backgrounds).

Being most familiar with the Ski-Doo snowmobiles, I expressed great enthusiasm for the P0 or P1 prototype “REV snowmobiles with wheels” that we were able to ride around the motorcycle test track that day. It was a REV snowmobile up front with a motorcycle swing arm, tire and shock in the rear instead of a tunnel and a track. There was no stability system, as we could get the inside front tire up off the ground during hard cornering and I was told to “cool it” because, being a snowmobiler, I was really getting into being able to ride a sled on pavement and give ‘er heck. At that time there was a chain drive and if I recall correctly one unit was a shifter and one had CVT clutching. Seems like the V-twin 990 was already in the shifter, but I do not remember what engine might have been in the CVT unit. That was a long time ago and pictures were totally forbidden.

Interesting stuff thanks for sharing.

MarkLawson
07-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Recently someone posted a question about the history of the Spyder and one of the responses mentioned that it would be nice if BRP would provide some background information.

One of the things that I heard at a gathering may or may not be true but again, it would be nice if BRP could verify.

Here is the story.....

A group of BRP folks were at a meeting sometime after the turn of the century (the one from the 1900's to the 2000's for you older folks) and were talking about how to expand their market. Apparently someone said..,"we have the winter market covered with our Ski-Do product and the watersports market is well served by the Sea-Do but how can we expand for more year-round presence?"

Then an engineer spoke up. "Why can't we just put wheels on a snowmobile?"

Could it have been as simple as that?

Yes, it is true. When I attended my first Owners Event (the first one held in Maggie Valley), they had a nice display of actual prototype Spyders as they developed them. There was a narrative that went along with the displays and in 1999, I believe, their R&D department was tasked with developing an on-the-road vehicle based on a snowmobile design.

sledmaster
07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
That sounds right Mark. Notes I took on 1-11-07 when we were told the Spyder had just received the go-ahead for production say it was a "concept 10 years ago and prototype 7 years ago" which would place the concept stage right at about the start of 1997, with prototypes at about the start of 2000. Give or take.

At that time they had P3 prototypes and were six months from production. It was being described as bridging the gap between a motorcycle, sports car, go kart and snowmobile, with a emphasis on the "WOW" factor. They were really stressing the stability at rest and stability in motion as main benefits. At that time they didn't know how it would be received by the existing motorcycle community, but they did know it would bring the powersports (sled, quad, PWC) experience to the road. Curiously at that time they were targeting the 35-45 year old male, but that was the initial GS sport models. We were also told that it would be 18-36 months until Phase 2, which we can now assume to have meant the RT touring model introduction.

But make no mistake, the Spyder started out as a snowmobile with wheels. That is who BRP is at their roots, snowmobilers. That is what they do best. But as the first prototypes were sled-based, the actual production units are far more similar to an ATV chassis with their SST surrounding spar technology 3-beam frame design. And the styling seems to have been influenced more by their PWC models than anything else. So it started as a sled, is built like an ATV and looks more like a PWC. Go figure. Sure is fun to ride.

flamingobabe
07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
let me check my pics on the old computer.....and see what pics I took at owners event....remember going through the prototype to Spyder.....also heard that there were test riders for snowmobiles in summer with wheels on test track...and the concept was born...OK these pics were taken at Durango 2012.....they are not the best...but all I have...notice 2nd and 4th pic had exhaust on each side....wish BRP would of left that feature on the Spyder....

Pennyrick
07-17-2014, 01:43 PM
.notice 2nd and 4th pic had exhaust on each side....wish BRP would of left that feature on the Spyder....

I agree... that is one of the things that would enhance the appearance of the Spyder. I loved those chrome pipes on either side of my earlier bikes. Of course, I date back to the time when pipes on either side of the rear end of a '40 Ford or '49 Mercury made them objects of art.

When they began putting them in front of the rear wheels or two pipes on the same side or dumping all the exhaust into one big pipe it never looked right to me.

So, for the record, BRP, here is a vote for true dual exhaust.

Bob Denman
07-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Or at least a set of stacked triples! :thumbup: