PDA

View Full Version : This is kind of depressing

finless
07-15-2014, 02:30 PM
I use the B trip meter for mileage since the last oil change.
I had not looked at this screen for a while but did yesterday after a fill up and resetting trip A meter.

Kind of depressing to know I only got an average of 26 MPH over 3,000 miles :(

I guess that's what you get when you use your Spyder to commute to work on LA freeways.

Hopefully a long road trip later this year will correct that :)

Bob

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91548&d=1405452591

oldguyinTX
07-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Fourth of July weekend the wife and I rode out to NJ for a graduation party. Interstate highways & multi lane parkway all the way. Never got below 60 mph, mostly 65-70 mph. I checked the B trip meter & was surprised that I averaged 45 mph for the round trip. I'not sure how accurate the "average" is, but if it is anything like the thermometer, it is way off.

Dan McNally
07-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Isn't that "Average Speed" that is shown there? :dontknow: I don't think it shows average MPH on the trip meter . . . :dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Now you've got me wondering. :shocked:
I had NEVER noticed that average mph reading... :dontknow:
Time to see what the numbers are like!! :thumbup:

finless
07-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Isn't that "Average Speed" that is shown there? :dontknow: I don't think it shows average MPH on the trip meter . . . :dontknow:

Average speed is MPH not MPG. It says 26 MPH on the dash.

Bob

Dan McNally
07-15-2014, 03:07 PM

Average speed is MPH not MPG. It says 26 MPH on the dash.

Bob

Total brain fart on my part :gaah: . . . as for the average speed, it is also calculating when you are stopped . . . not just when you are moving. From the time you turn on the key until you turn it off . . .

ARtraveler
07-15-2014, 03:12 PM
The numbers for the average MPH work until you clear the register and start over again. Here they do not mean a lot because it is going to cover everything that happened from zero to reset on the register.

I have a similar in my car and it shows mpg from day one as well as mpg each tankfull to reset of the tripmeter.

Interesting, but not a necessary thing.

sledmaster
07-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Finless, I can feel your pain. Oh man that is depressing. I don't know if I could handle that. On my 2008s I had an average of just a whisker under 60 MPH for over 66,000 miles. That would be riding zero 4-lane roads, but out here in west central Minnesota we have wide open roads and little traffic so it is all high speed cruising. It is not uncommon to do 400+ miles in under 7 hours with an average of over 60 mph.:lecturef_smilie: Today was 243 miles in 4:06 for an average of 59 mph.

On the newer Spyders I do not believe you can display the total hours like we could on the older bikes unless you go into BUDS and read it, that kind of sucks.

Raknid
07-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Total brain fart on my part :gaah: . . . as for the average speed, it is also calculating when you are stopped . . . not just when you are moving. From the time you turn on the key until you turn it off . . .

Exactly...a couple stoplights can kill the average. I really proud when I did a 375 mile trip once and averaged just over 60mph including gas and bathroom stops. Not easy to do. :-)

billrob71
07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I look at mine every time I fill up and it doesn't seem to ever read correct , stopped paying attention to it

Bob Denman
07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
If I need to know how fast I've been going; the Missus is more than happy to... :lecturef_smilie::shocked: ...tell me!

Cruzr Joe
07-15-2014, 06:58 PM
If I need to know how fast I've been going; the Missus is more than happy to... :lecturef_smilie::shocked: ...tell me!

:hun:, my wife doe's the same thing

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
07-15-2014, 08:33 PM
And we're lucky to have them along for the ride! :D :2thumbs:

finless
07-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes I know it counts while stopped. It's obvious it's using time/MPH. I did check and it also counts time even when the engine is not running but the key is on. That's kind of dumb. It should only count when the engine is running. But I wonder if the math it is doing is 100% of the time on the clock vs running time? I am going to see if I can figure that out with the A meter.

But that's also my point. 90% of my riding is in rush hour traffic even on the freeway and there are sections we come to a stop or crawl at like 15 MPH and other times I am doing almost 80! That's LA freeways for you!

Bob

Peter Aawen
07-15-2014, 09:14 PM
All you've gotta do is discipline yourself to press that reset button every time you stop, and don't turn the key on again until you are ready to immediately start :trike: again !! ;)

It's all the stopping and starting in traffic & at lights etc, the sitting around with the key/engine on while you do stuff at the servo or shops, and the innumerable other things that mean you end up not moving while the ignition/engine is on that drags that average speed down; & to be honest, that probably impacts (badly) on your fuel economy too!! So either turn the key off every time you stop moving, or just reset the trip meter every time you stop moving.... :joke:

Nice long trips with only short stops for fuel & comfort are good for improving that average speed too, especially if you practice turning the key off as soon as you pull up & then only turn the key/start the engine again immediately before you hit the road once more. I use the B Trip meter to record trip distance & averages between fuel fill-ups that way, keeping the A meter for 'Total Trip' info; and I have managed (once!) to see an average speed reading on the B meter of somewhat over 100... (kph admittedly, but I'm not going to tell anyone - especially my wife, exactly how much over 100 kph it was or what it equated to in mph!! Suffice to say it was enough over that it might get me in trouble... :yikes:) However, it was only the distance taken to travel between two fuel stops (pretty much the distance I could travel to empty a full tank at that speed... ) on one of our long open roads here in Aust, and it was (almost anyway, if you squint & look sidways... :opps: ) within the 'legal limits' imposed on that section of road in the Northern Territory here (they are 'pretty reasonable' considering the distances involved & the remote area, roads, & conditions etc, altho not quite Auto Bahn limits!) The average on the other meter showing the entire Trip Totals wasn't anywhere near as impressive/brag worthy... :sour:

billrob71
07-15-2014, 09:23 PM

Does she tell you and whack you on the back of the helmet:roflblack:

Dan McNally
07-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Your Zumo will give you moving avg and overall avg. For instance on my recent trip to Durango for the OE this is what the Zumo reported:
Moving time 51.41 hours
moving avg. 55 mph
overall avg. 53 mph
high speed 82 mph (only while passing)

by the way avg mpg for the trip was 39.79

Even Garmin gets it wrong . . . I recently went to that page on my Garmin in my 4 cylinder Camry . . . and it showed the high speed was 142 MPH!

my3gs
07-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Hey over the last 13000+ miles iv got anything from 14 ( yes 14 loaded heading home from SF ) to 28 over all. 22-23 is average I didn't get it for the mileage! I got it to ride with a SMILE:yes:

Dan_Ashley
07-15-2014, 09:52 PM
I use the B trip meter for mileage since the last oil change.
I had not looked at this screen for a while but did yesterday after a fill up and resetting trip A meter.

Kind of depressing to know I only got an average of 26 MPH over 3,000 miles :(

I guess that's what you get when you use your Spyder to commute to work on LA freeways.

Hopefully a long road trip later this year will correct that :)

So YOU are the cause of all this slow So. Cal. traffic!

Commander
07-16-2014, 05:55 AM
" And I thought my wife was the only one that did that....LOL"

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 07:49 AM
:shocked: You too? :shocked: