PDA

View Full Version : Recently tried my Spyder without Eco mode!

Questions
07-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I recently decided to try my Spyder without the Eco mode. To my surprise I felt an immediate increase in both power and throttle response. Checked with my dealer and he confirmed that the Eco mode restricts the power output for a given throttle opening in order to save fuel and also to tell you when to shift up.

i will drive in non-Eco mode around town and Eco mode on trips.
the seat-of-the-pants increase seems to be as much as 15 percent.
the down side is that the new engine will run happily at hi way speeds in fifth gear when the idiot (me) does not shift up to sixth when I should. What an engine.

murphybrown
07-14-2014, 09:52 AM
I recently decided to try my Spyder without the Eco mode. To my surprise I felt an immediate increase in both power and throttle response. Checked with my dealer and he confirmed that the Eco mode restricts the power output for a given throttle opening in order to save fuel and also to tell you when to

Found the same thing...plus I did not want to stare at screen to know WHEN to shift...I sort of figure I need all of my 4 eyes on the road and drive safely!!!! :clap:

Chupaca
07-14-2014, 10:02 AM
when introduced one on the test ryders explained all the changes and new goodies that were on the 2014's. He told us that he and the others had tried the eco and found that the savings were minimal and not worth giving up the snap for. The epa folks were thrilled however. I'm sure in some instances it would seem to help depending on your ryding style but I ask...you now profess over 200 miles on a tank you really need those 5 more..??:roflblack: It's there use if it makes you feel better...:thumbup:

KX5062
07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Just don't try to pass on a hill two up forgetting you're in eco mode. DAMHIK :yikes:

maliamd
07-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I want to decide when to shift. Not a computer. :doorag:

Bob Denman
07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
I tried it, and was equally concerned with the "distraction factor" :shocked:
I'm doing pretty well in the fuel economy department anyway! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-14-2014, 01:44 PM
:agree: same here. I tried it and I do not like it. To distracting for me. Have learned to listen for the "magic spot" between 2500 and 3000 rpms and most of the time I can hit the spot right on.

Saving a small amount of gas compared to having a little more power is not in the cards for me. I am actually happy with the 1330 as is and now get 37 to 38 mpg compared to the 31mpg on my 998 Rotax.

Here is a chance to say it again: I wish that BRP would have kept the electronic frunk release instead of adding Eco Mode. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-15-2014, 07:25 AM
38.9 mpg average so far... :ohyea: :thumbup:
I shift a couple of hundred rpm lower, than you are...

ARtraveler
07-15-2014, 02:06 PM

That does appear to be a difference that we have encountered along the way. You have good numbers to prove your point though. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
07-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Mine aren't anything like the ones that Texas is putting up... :bowdown: :firstplace:

dadof4
07-15-2014, 04:04 PM
I turned on the Eco mode the first day I drove mine and have left it on ever since. It's only been about a 1000 miles. I normally shift around 2200 RPMs and it keeps the nanny happy. The Spyder has been driven mostly two up. I have not noticed strain on the engine. I do drive it very conservatively however. It works fine for me and my mileage has averaged between 37 and 40 so far. I guess if I was more of an aggressive driver I might be tempted to turn it off.

ARtraveler
07-15-2014, 06:10 PM

UPDATE: Just filled tank again. This time I got 39.51--I will round that up to the magic 40 mpg I was looking for.

Going to try the lower rpm shifting for the next tank. Will see if that makes much difference for me.

Bob Denman
07-15-2014, 08:39 PM
:thumbup: Good luck! :2thumbs: