PDA

View Full Version : How to carry a tripod

Wifey
07-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Will get my new 2013 RT S SE 5 on Wednesday or Thursday, had to be shipped from southern California to northern California. Am a photographer and wondering if anyone has found a way to carry a tripod. Haven't got the Spyder yet so son't know the size of the frunk.

PrairieSpyder
07-13-2014, 06:46 PM
I haven't tried to carry a tripod on mine, but knowing the space in the trunk, frank and side bags, you'd have to have a very small tripod to carry it inside. There are tripods that collapse to a fairly short length, but you don't get much height when they are extended. You can probably count on having to carry it strapped to the passenger seat. But that will mean having to move it whenever you lift the seat to refuel.

NZSpyderRyder
07-13-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a MeFoto A0350 Backpackers aluminium tripod and that fits in my frank easily.

NautiBrit
07-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I occasionally buy longer items at a store and have found that my rear trunk rack is ideal for strapping these items down. I have carried camping chairs, full size umbrellas, etc.

szohar
07-13-2014, 11:34 PM
You can tie a tripod to the passenger grip.

Chupaca
07-13-2014, 11:44 PM
when it gets there you will find one of the many places to carry your tripod if it does not fit in the trunk, frunk or side bags...:2thumbs:

bluestratos
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Mine fits in the frunk but you can use the rear passenger grips or if no passenger just across the set.

spyderchelle
07-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Good question that got me out of my comfy chair. I bought my first Spyder, a 2014 RSS SM5, a few weeks ago. I knew my camera bag would fit from carrying on a friend's Spyder. My Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 does not even come close to fitting in the frunk. Taking the head off won't be enough to make it fit. Will be strapping it to the passenger hand grips.

mhoecker
07-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Good question that got me out of my comfy chair. I bought my first Spyder, a 2014 RSS SM5, a few weeks ago. I knew my camera bag would fit from carrying on a friend's Spyder. My Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 does not even come close to fitting in the frunk. Taking the head off won't be enough to make it fit. Will be strapping it to the passenger hand grips.

You might want to consider getting a tripod bag or at least covering your ball head with a baggie so that road grit and bugs don't get in and foul up the works. You've got quite an investment and you don't want anything to kick up and damage your equipment. Happy shooting!!

Madonna

Oldmanzues
07-26-2014, 07:58 PM
I made a "blue jean bag" to carry extra 'flags for PGR missions. Lay out to fit your equipment wrong side out. Sew up side and pull right side out. Bunmge cord or ROK straps (Aerostich) to attach to pasenger hand holds.
I can not reall describe ROK straps, but will try. Adjustable frabric strap with a loop on one end and a "buckle" The other piece is elastic with a loop on that end. Does not mar up where attached on bike and I think more secure. I would post pics, but can not see to be able to do so.
Oldmanzues

Wifey
07-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Got my Spyder, have been riding and not posting. Almost ready for the 600 mile check only 200 more miles to go. Found my tripod will fit without head in the frunk. Head and tools fit in as well, with room for one camera body with lens( in it's case). I put the other lens in the back storage area. Off I went because I need river or ocean pictures this week for gallery hanging. Thanks to all who answered and great suggestions. :clap:
Keep the rubber side down.