PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Highway Bracket Support

spydeyblue
07-13-2014, 05:07 PM
I have a 2012 RT-S, with Lamont's NBV Highway Pegs installed. Recently, I've noticed that the upper support for the left hand highway peg, appears to be loose. After removing the left side panels during an oil change, I think I have located the problem. There is a brass-colored nut located in the left-hand side panel support frame, which appears to be embedded inside the plastic frame. The upper retaining screw goes through the rear side panel, highway peg bracket, and bottom front side panel (aka water deflector), and into this nut. The nut doesn't turn in the frame, but it does move in and out. Here is a photo of the nut in question, circled in red:

My guess is some rather hefty individual, possibly one of the mechanics who used to work on my Spyder, attempted to stand upon the left highway peg at some point, and snapped off the plastic housing for this nut. I attempted to secure the nut in place using a silicone adhesive, without success. I checked the parts manual, but this nut isn't listed as a separate part or subassembly, which leads me to believe I would have to replace the entire left-hand side panel support assembly, BRP part no. 705005986. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better adhesive to secure this metal nut to the plastic frame? Or should I just spend the $91 to replace the frame itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Linda Horn (aka Spydeyblue)

jtoro1
07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
I have a 2011 Rit-S, with LairplanesBV Highway Pegs installed. Recently, I've noticed that the upper support for the left hand highway peg, appears to be loose. After removing the left side panels during an oil change, I think I have located the problem. There is a brass-colored nut located in the left-hand side panel support frame, which appears to be embedded inside the plastic frame. The upper retaining screw goes through the rear side panel, highway peg bracket, and bottom front side panel (aka water deflector), and into this nut. The nut doesn't turn in the frame, but it does move in and out. Here is a photo of the nut in question, circled in red:

My guess is some rather hefty individual, possibly one of the mechanics who used to work on my Spyder, attempted to stand upon the left highway peg at some point, and snapped off the plastic housing for this nut. I attempted to secure the nut in place using a silicone adhesive, without success. I checked the parts manual, but this nut isn't listed as a separate part or subassembly, which leads me to believe I would have to replace the entire left-hand side panel support assembly, BRP part no. 705005986. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better adhesive to secure this metal nut to the plastic frame? Or should I just spend the $91 to replace the frame itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Linda Horn (aka Spydeyblue)

Try some J-B weld epoxy works good , If It works on airplanes it should work on spyders

finless
07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
+100 on trying the JB weld. Can't hurt if you wind up eventually replacing the frame part.

Bob

capt.jim
07-14-2014, 10:22 PM
JB Weld adheres quite well to plastic. Is there enough room to run a longer bolt through that brass nut and put a washer and another nut on the back/inside of the plastic?

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Another possibility is get an expansion nut from a hardware store or auto parts store. They go into the hole and then flare out or expand when you tighten a bolt in them. They're typically used in sheet metal to provide a place to screw a bolt into. You might have to get a US thread one but that isn't too big a deal. Just have to remember that particular bolt isn't metric when you change it out.

Cruzr Joe
07-15-2014, 11:30 AM
i just had to replace that entire piece, apparently I am stronger (or heavier) than i thought and put too much pressure on the highway peg and that piece broke.

Cruzr Joe