PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT-S Rear brake cylinder

bluep
07-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Just mounted my new rear tire, all went well till I tried to spread the brake pads. I cant force the piston back into the cylinder to get clearance to get over the brake disk. I have spread many pads on motorcycles , cars, and trucks no problem. Whats the deal with this RT-S cylinder ??

Bob Denman
07-13-2014, 05:28 PM
This may sound dumb... :opps:

Is your parking brake engaged?
I'd just take a BIG screwdriver, and lever the pads back a bit...it doesn't take much! :thumbup:

bluep
07-13-2014, 05:55 PM
This may sound dumb... :opps:

Is your parking brake engaged?
I'd just take a BIG screwdriver, and lever the pads back a bit...it doesn't take much! :thumbup:

No, actually have parking brake cable unhooked.
I know, big screwdriver ,pry pads apart, shouldn't take much, but the piston wont go back into cylinder. Pads arn't hung up. Should the piston pry back normally?? or is this 2014 RT-S cylinder Diferent some how??

Chupaca
07-13-2014, 11:53 PM
if the first attempt to push them back was off center.. the piston may be at an angle and will never move. You can pry at the upper portion to see if you can level it or place a flat shim approximately the size of the disk and apply the brake to push it back out and try to pry it in again as level as possible...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-14-2014, 06:49 AM
:agree: If you get them "Cross-Threaded" in their holes... :yikes: