PDA

View Full Version : Exactly what does "Eco Mode" do?

JimFoy
07-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Exactly what does "Eco Mode" do? I know the nanny shows when it thinks I should shift, but is that all there is too it? It seems to me that I detect a change in the engine when I go into Eco Mode -- a slight reduction in speed or in power. Does the fuel mixture change? Or is the shifting suggestion all there is to it?

SpyderAnn01
07-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Here is a link to BRP press release info about the new motor. It wouldn't let me copy and paste the part about Eco Mode. http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shopping-tools/why-choose-can-am-spyder/the-new-2014-spyder-rt.html It didn't say that the mode does anything but let you know when to shift.

garb55
07-13-2014, 12:35 AM
I was reading somewhere yesterday but can not find it now
ECO mode also limits throttle movement
so you are getting 10% less throttle movement than you would without ECO mode
Don

Chupaca
07-13-2014, 01:37 AM
you are really not saving enough to make it worth while...I would use it as a training tool limiting the learner from getting to wild...:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-13-2014, 06:47 AM
While I would really like to like it; it seems to just not quite perform up to expectations...
More importantly; I takes the operator's concentration off of the roadway! :yikes: :gaah:
Nice idea...
Lousy execution...

den1953
07-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Anything that takes your attention away from the road is not good. I see enough of this already with car (cage) drivers using cell phones and smart phones. I can imagine GPS as being a distraction as well. The use of phones while driving around here is like a rampant epidemic with something like maybe 1 in 4 drivers. I've even seen semi truck drivers using them and that is really scary!! From what I've been reading on this forum the ECO Mode is practically worthless and not helping gas mileage all that much.

Bob Denman
07-13-2014, 07:16 AM
If that little green arrow, was flashing on a heads-up display; it'd sure make a lot of difference in my opinion about it. :thumbup:
A nice, big Green arrow in the middle of the windshield, would be much easeir to see in your peripheral vision.
But then again; what would THAT cost??? :shocked:

Wiredux
07-13-2014, 07:50 AM
I think it is a great concept as it does limit the throttle response. You don't have to keep your eyes pealed to your dash so you know when to shift. The green arrow is ONLY a suggestion not a requirement. How many people stare at their RPM's on a 998 to make sure they are at the right RPMs before they shift? You keep your eye on it until you understand and remember when to shift.

mindman
07-13-2014, 08:14 AM
While I would really like to like it; it seems to just not quite perform up to expectations...
More importantly; I takes the operator's concentration off of the roadway! :yikes: :gaah:
Nice idea...
Lousy execution...

:agree: I've tried it on a couple of rides and it was very distracting. Now that I have an idea of the "optimal" shift points for gas savings, I'm going back to "normal" mode.

ARtraveler
07-13-2014, 03:57 PM
:agree: Also tried it but don't like it. Too distracting. I can hear the sweet spot in the shift point--2500 - 3000 rpm. Don't need no steenkin Eco Mode. :roflblack::roflblack:

Would rather they did not have it and wish they would have kept the electronic frunk release.

CentralCoastCA
07-13-2014, 04:13 PM
If you need to pass especially on a 2 lane road, be sure your Eco mode is off. Otherwise you won't be moving very fast :sour:

gonker
07-25-2014, 05:48 PM
I had an 08 Hayabusa that had 3 modes for driving. It changed the engine map/throttle response. Mode 1 was go fast, very, very fast. Mode 2 reduced the power and throttle response for "in town" driving. Mode 3 was for rain. Even snapping the throttle in mode 3 would't break the rear tire loose, so it was very nice when I got stuck out in the rain. Maybe the ECO mode would be more usefull on wet roads. The Hayabusa didn't have traction control and ABS brakes to help the wet stuff.

jgwoods
07-30-2014, 07:32 PM
I had an RS and a 990 RT before I picked up the 2014 1330. Today I went on a 100 mile ride and used the eco mode. It was a good way to learn what gear BRP thinks I ought to be in. I normally run the RPMs higher before shifting than the green arrow suggests. I was good guidance for the day and now I know you can run this thing like a cruiser, shift at 2500 or so, it can lug to 2000 or so as well.

It's a really relaxing way to putt along, not something I found true with the 990 motor. I didn't mind revving it and recall riding all day along the Colorado front range at about 6000 RPM- it was as smooth as a turbine and felt like it could go forever. The 1330 may be able to do that too- we shall see after break in.

I did find the eco green upshift light a bit hard to see. I wasn't depending on it so it was no big deal. Overall it's not a bad thing as long as they didn't spend big bucks on it.

Bob Denman
07-31-2014, 07:46 AM
The 1330 IS fun to just run along at a nice, low rpm level; letting the torque output handle the chores! :D :thumbup:

3 Wheel Addict
07-31-2014, 10:08 AM
My wifes new Honda CR-V has a green ECO button and she calls it "The driving sucks button"....:D:D

Bob Denman
07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Everybody hates how they need to drive, in order to save fuel... :gaah:

...until it's time to pay the gas bill! :D

4 MARIE
08-04-2014, 12:40 AM
Exactly what does "Eco Mode" do? I know the nanny shows when it thinks I should shift, but is that all there is too it? It seems to me that I detect a change in the engine when I go into Eco Mode -- a slight reduction in speed or in power. Does the fuel mixture change? Or is the shifting suggestion all there is to it?

When I bought my 2014 RT-S dealer didn't even mention "eco mode" I believe it is an alternative "map" for engine. In my experience with the semi auto, this detuning allows the smoothest possible shifts, almost seamless. This "lack of hit" for loss of a better term, is really only felt below 4 thousand RPM. and since I don't really wind it out in the first two gears anyway, It kind of adds a peaceful quality . I never even tried eco mode the first 3 thousand miles I went, but now... I like it. I totally ignore the :shift light. Like almost everything else in the goofy display, it's too small to get my notice.

Related item, everyone makes so much noise about mpg. Everyone always seem to ask about that. IT'S A SPORTING MACHINE !
If something like that is a big concern, well..... you see where I'm going. Enjoy the ride.

Texas
08-04-2014, 11:31 PM
I haven't been on the forum for a while; too busy out riding my RT-S. However, I saw the ECO thread and thought that since that is the only mode I use, I better weigh in. When I first started using it, I was slightly distracted by watching the screen. However, that didn't last long, because I learned to anticipate shift points based on feeling/hearing the RPM. Sometimes I glance down when shifting into 5th and 6th gears to know the exact moment when I can shift into those gears (32 mph going into 5th gear, and 38 mph going into 6th gear). Unlike others have mentioned, ECO does have a payoff. I get well above 40 mpg on every tank. Some of the other savings that is also often overlooked is longer tire wear and less wear and tear on the motor.

I've ridden motorcycles for almost 30 years, but since owning the new RT-S, I've given them up. I just enjoy the RT-S way too much to justify keeping the bikes that I had (BMW K1600GTL & Triumph Tiger Explorer). Getting 42-45 mpg on my RT-S is icing on the cake. If I wanted to drive fast, I would have bought a Hayabusa.

rbob
10-16-2014, 12:14 AM
I haven't been on the forum for a while; too busy out riding my RT-S. However, I saw the ECO thread and thought that since that is the only mode I use, I better weigh in. When I first started using it, I was slightly distracted by watching the screen. However, that didn't last long, because I learned to anticipate shift points based on feeling/hearing the RPM. Sometimes I glance down when shifting into 5th and 6th gears to know the exact moment when I can shift into those gears (32 mph going into 5th gear, and 38 mph going into 6th gear). Unlike others have mentioned, ECO does have a payoff. I get well above 40 mpg on every tank. Some of the other savings that is also often overlooked is longer tire wear and less wear and tear on the motor.

I've ridden motorcycles for almost 30 years, but since owning the new RT-S, I've given them up. I just enjoy the RT-S way too much to justify keeping the bikes that I had (BMW K1600GTL & Triumph Tiger Explorer). Getting 42-45 mpg on my RT-S is icing on the cake. If I wanted to drive fast, I would have bought a Hayabusa.

Experimented on I90 from Maine to Seattle with the eco mode. On cruise at staedy throtttle settings a gained 4% in fuel mileage using ECO mode. Before, around town I was getting 10% better fuel mileage when not in eco mode.Don't use Eco unless you are travelling with a steady throttle setting.Most of the time the Eco mode mutes the throttle response so much that it takes away from the fun of riding.

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 07:09 AM

Orange Spyder Man
10-16-2014, 07:28 AM
my dealer did not mention the Eco mode when my bike was picked up...if I remember correctly I have to press the Eco mode & depress the brake to start my RT spyder..
I have to ask ... pressing the Eco mode again turns it off ??

trikermutha
10-16-2014, 09:14 AM
my dealer did not mention the Eco mode when my bike was picked up...if I remember correctly I have to press the Eco mode & depress the brake to start my RT spyder..
I have to ask ... pressing the Eco mode again turns it off ??

Just hold the eco mode button in a few seconds to turn it on and off..

ThreeWheels
10-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Here is what I found out trying the ECO mode on my 2014 RT-S SM6.
The green arrow seems to pop up when you get past 3,000 rpm (or thereabouts).
Manual ECO mode equivalent: Keep the RPM as low as possible all the time.

I found it essentially worthless, and after experimenting with it for a weekend, I turned it off.
The arrow is too distracting.

Marker
10-16-2014, 12:44 PM
I rode a 2014 RT limited for the weekend . I used the ECO MODE for the whole weekend . I was finding that I was constantly shifting and the RPM range was about 2200 to 2700RPM. I rode the spyder two up and conservatively not mashing the gas and brakes and I only got a little better fuel economy than the rest of the spyders not using ECO MODE. We rode a total of 1500 miles with a mix of highway and paved back road riding. JMHO

Bob Denman
10-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm a pretty conservative rider, and I found no fuel economy advantage in using the ECO Mode...
And trying to find the Green Light, was taking my eyes off of the road... :yikes: