PDA

View Full Version : 2 Newbie Questions

peterparker
07-10-2014, 07:24 PM
I find that riding on a non concrete road that has a slight hump in the middle of the lane causes the trike to wander a bit. This would be on a road that has a bit of car tire wear in the car tire tracks making them a bit lower than the middle of the lane. I am assuming this is just the nature of the beast with the single back tire tracking along the hump but sliding down each side every once in a while. At first, I tried correcting the "wiggle" constantly but I am finding that if you just let the bike do it's thing and let your body just roll with the wiggle, it is a much more relaxing ride. Would adjusting the shock setting help on this or would this be a waste of time?

Also, my scoot has the new 1300 triple. Riding it last weekend, I noticed that there seems to be a tremble that starts about 3700 rpm and then smooths out by about 4100 rpm. Is this a common place thing on this motor?

Princeau99
07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Hi Peter,
I am also "new" but I will relate what my experiences are. My 2014 also wandered allot. This was mostly corrected by having the laser alignment. you will find much information if you search on laser. Almost everyday there are comments about the alignment.

As to the rumble. Is this RPM specific or speed? Mine rumbles slightly at 75 MPH. It is the drive belt. At some time in the future I will add one of the vibration suppressors advertised here.
Good luck:yes:

Chupaca
07-11-2014, 12:05 AM
your grip that is..not much you can do on uneven roads. If you grip and correct the ryde gets a bit wiggly. Your doing it right. Alignments are helpful if you have this problem on flat even roads. Vibrations come from many places..the one you are referring to could be the belt or a harmonic one. Belt tensioners do help but you will have some anyway. Congrats on your new ryde..enjoy and be safe..!! :2thumbs:

peterparker
07-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Hi Peter,
I am also "new" but I will relate what my experiences are. My 2014 also wandered allot. This was mostly corrected by having the laser alignment. you will find much information if you search on laser. Almost everyday there are comments about the alignment.

As to the rumble. Is this RPM specific or speed? Mine rumbles slightly at 75 MPH. It is the drive belt. At some time in the future I will add one of the vibration suppressors advertised here.
Good luck:yes:

RPM - From 3700 to about 4100.

Bob Denman
07-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Every vehicle will be affected by the contours of the highway; ligher vehicles just seem to show it off a bit more! :shocked:
If your 3700 to 4100 tremble happens in 6th gear; that's the sweet spot of the belt's harmonic vibration range.

PW2013STL
07-11-2014, 02:54 PM
As you found out you have three tires all following the road surface which is in different condition from each other. unlike a two wheel motorcycle that both wheels are following the same road surface condition. this will result in the wandering you are experiencing. Glad you found out how to handle it :clap:

As others have pointed out - belt vibrations - I also have them.

Welcome to the forum and ask any question as Bob needs the post count :joke:

Bob Denman
07-11-2014, 02:56 PM
:shocked: I didn't say anything... :D

Even I'm smart enough to know not to pick on a SuperHero! :thumbup:

KX5062
07-12-2014, 11:38 AM
I find that riding on a non concrete road that has a slight hump in the middle of the lane causes the trike to wander a bit. This would be on a road that has a bit of car tire wear in the car tire tracks making them a bit lower than the middle of the lane. I am assuming this is just the nature of the beast with the single back tire tracking along the hump but sliding down each side every once in a while. At first, I tried correcting the "wiggle" constantly but I am finding that if you just let the bike do it's thing and let your body just roll with the wiggle, it is a much more relaxing ride. Would adjusting the shock setting help on this or would this be a waste of time?

Also, my scoot has the new 1300 triple. Riding it last weekend, I noticed that there seems to be a tremble that starts about 3700 rpm and then smooths out by about 4100 rpm. Is this a common place thing on this motor?

That "hump" in the middle of the road is the crown. It is a designed feature to permit water displacement during rain storms. The weight of large trucks will exaggerate that feature depending on how good your local road is cared for by the DOT. Your Spyder may or may not wander due to variations in the road and having 3 points of contact not 4. Like others have said, a lot will depend on the set up your bike. Alignment, shock pre-load settings and tire inflation being the main concerns. On my 08 GS a Baja Ron bar helped a ton, on my 14 RT I installed the bar also, but the improvement was less noticeable.

I will also offer that the "tremble" at that RPM range is partly due to the EPA emission standards. Most motorcycles have that stumble or rumble, or tremble in that RPM range because that's the RPM range where they do the emissions testing (1/2 throttle from max). So, the manufacturers program the EFI systems to run lean in that area is meet the emissions testing standards. Fortunately these bikes having a learning capability in their fuel systems, so it will compensate with time, also as the engine breaks in it will reduce too.