PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light and dealer says not to worry?

Iwrk911
07-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I have a 2013 ST, basic model. The other day my display changed from white to orange, then started flashing "check engine". I am a new Can Am owner with very little mechanical background. Had bike towed to local dealer. After 3 days received call it was ready. They told me it was a sensor that measures the air temp. And not to worry. Rode 38 miles home with no problem. Get on next day, less than a block it starts flashing again. First in the trip meter area, then in the middle blocking the speed. The little check engine lite is on also. Called dealer and service person said ride a bit longer, maybe earlier in the day when cooler and see if it happens again. Texas gets hot, right now it is around 102 degrees, the thermometer in dash says 123. I don't want to damage the motor, but at a loss. The bike only has 1145 miles on it. Any help will be greatly received.

jtoro1
07-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I have a 2013 ST, basic model. The other day my display changed from white to orange, then started flashing "check engine". I am a new Can Am owner with very little mechanical background. Had bike towed to local dealer. After 3 days received call it was ready. They told me it was a sensor that measures the air temp. And not to worry. Rode 38 miles home with no problem. Get on next day, less than a block it starts flashing again. First in the trip meter area, then in the middle blocking the speed. The little check engine lite is on also. Called dealer and service person said ride a bit longer, maybe earlier in the day when cooler and see if it happens again. Texas gets hot, right now it is around 102 degrees, the thermometer in dash says 123. I don't want to damage the motor, but at a loss. The bike only has 1145 miles on it. Any help will be greatly received.

Your dealer is BS you pull up the code on your display and we can tell you what it might be.
Press mode, turn signal cancel, set all at the same time

Iwrk911
07-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Your dealer is BS you pull up the code on your display and we can tell you what it might be.
Press mode, turn signal cancel, set all at the same time

P0127

Colin
07-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Your display should only change from white to orange when you ride at night or in changing light. I had the check engine light come on also. The reason for it was that I had used a couple of tanks of 91 Octane Gas as I was unable to get 95, this then activated the Knock Sensor which brought up the check engine light.
Also a couple of New ST's here had their check engine light come on, and it was found that the Knock Sensor Plug was not securely plugged in.
I hope this helps

jtoro1
07-09-2014, 06:05 PM
P0127

Intake air temperature too high air temperature Intake fault no service action I still think it is BS here in Fl we ride with temp in 95 s

Iwrk911
07-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Intake air temperature too high air temperature Intake fault no service action I still think it is BS here in Fl we ride with temp in 95 s

That is what they told me it was, kinda annoying watching the display flash and change. Thanks to the reply by both of you. Will ride it and see what happens.:pray:

Jeriatric
07-09-2014, 06:41 PM
If memory serves me it will throw codes and put the spyder in limp mode @ 122* and above. This high temp can be reached in a few ways. One being heat soak...say you have been riding the spyder in high temps and shut it off for a while....but not long enough to cool down...just long enough for heat transfer to happen. A condition that worsens if it's shut down with the sun beating down on it too. Another could be low anti freeze, and yet another could be a stuck thermostat, or, the radiator fan is not coming on.

As has been said. Your dealer is not being your friend. If they DO NOT want to stand behind the product. FIRE THEM and go elsewhere. If you do. Notify BRP that you have....and why. There's contact info in your OM and on the home page of this site.

Best of luck. :doorag:

Iwrk911
07-09-2014, 06:57 PM
If memory serves me it will throw codes and put the spyder in limp mode @ 122* and above. This high temp can be reached in a few ways. One being heat soak...say you have been riding the spyder in high temps and shut it off for a while....but not long enough to cool down...just long enough for heat transfer to happen. A condition that worsens if it's shut down with the sun beating down on it too. Another could be low anti freeze, and yet another could be a stuck thermostat, or, the radiator fan is not coming on.

As has been said. Your dealer is not being your friend. If they DO NOT want to stand behind the product. FIRE THEM and go elsewhere. If you do. Notify BRP that you have....and why. There's contact info in your OM and on the home page of this site.

Best of luck. :doorag:

The bike sat all day, yes in direct sunlight. The temp. Was around 100 degrees today. I started it and with in 1 block it flashed, rode it a few miles, let it sit for around 45 minutes, rode back to house. Never had a problem with bike, just the constant display changing. The temp. Gauge on dash of Spyder said it was 125 degrees

Chupaca
07-10-2014, 12:34 AM
how long and how far are you ryding..?? If its 100* out and you ryde on asphalt the temp coming off of it is around 170*. If you do not move the air out of the engine compartment with some ryding or the fan you will get over 122* at the sensor causing this code. Take the long road home..the road less traveled..maybe tree lined or by a lake or gulf to cool her down. :thumbup:

Gray Ghost
07-10-2014, 08:55 AM
I had the same problem when we were coming through the Mojave. When the display guage reads more that 122 degrees you are going to get the P0127. It goes away once you get air circulating. Mine did not go into limp mode with this issue, and it doesn't take long for the temp to go down with air flow.

AbNormy
07-10-2014, 08:57 AM
I carry cheap space blankets to cover the front right side if I can't find shade to park in.

Iwrk911
07-10-2014, 11:08 AM
how long and how far are you ryding..?? If its 100* out and you ryde on asphalt the temp coming off of it is around 170*. If you do not move the air out of the engine compartment with some ryding or the fan you will get over 122* at the sensor causing this code. Take the long road home..the road less traveled..maybe tree lined or by a lake or gulf to cool her down. :thumbup:

This was just across town to a resturant. This afternoon I will get it out on the road and pick up speed to see if the display stops. Again thanks to everyone that replied, reply's...

SpyderAnn01
07-10-2014, 11:14 AM
I remember getting this code quite often on my 2013 RT. Have all of the updates been done to your Spyder? Did they do the computer update? I haven't heard any of the other 2013 ST owners mention if they are still getting these codes after having the new panels and updates done.

I know someone who just purchased a 2013 ST from a Texas dealer and they had not done any of the updates/recalls on the bike. So please contact your dealer and have them tell you exactly what updates have been done on yours.

bikeguy
07-10-2014, 11:25 AM
My 2010 RT has done this several times on really hot days. On mine it always happened after having been parked for a time on hot pavement. Never took more than a riding a couple of blocks to clear the limp mode and the code. My dealer talked to BRP about changing the software to increase the temperature it took to cause the code but, to my knowledge, they never changed it. It's not hard to exceed 120 - 130 degrees when parked on hot pavement.

Cotton

kubie
07-13-2014, 03:13 PM
I seem to have had the same problem with mine when it was new! don't remember the code but it turned out to be a bad batch of vacuum lines and a faulty O2 sensor! and they changed out the plugs! If I remember it was running to lean on the front bank! Hope this helps!

Safe Ryding Ya'all

kubie:doorag:

happyspyder2039
07-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Totally :agree: Nothing wrong with the spyder. This is Normal & all do it. Dealer did nothing wrong either.

Illinois Boy
07-14-2014, 06:47 AM
This is included in the Do's and Do Not's...

Clarification on the P0127 and P0217 code messages: (From Steve with BRP customer care) Some have experienced the P0127 and/or P0217 codes on their Spyders so we'd like to provide additional information on what they mean. The following is the link to this thread started by Steve, from BRP Customer Care:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...P0217-messages (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55377-Some-clarification-on-the-P0127-and-P0217-messages)

ray071295
06-03-2016, 06:39 PM
I remember getting this code quite often on my 2013 RT. Have all of the updates been done to your Spyder? Did they do the computer update? I haven't heard any of the other 2013 ST owners mention if they are still getting these codes after having the new panels and updates done.

I know someone who just purchased a 2013 ST from a Texas dealer and they had not done any of the updates/recalls on the bike. So please contact your dealer and have them tell you exactly what updates have been done on yours.

Did you ever resolve my issue? That is the problem I am having currently with my 13 RT.

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Did you ever resolve my issue? That is the problem I am having currently with my 13 RT.

Are you getting the P0127 errors? You would likely see this happen if the temperature reading says 120 or more and if you are going slow. If you get back up to speed it should go away. That was my experience on my 2013 RT

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Ray, read the link in the post above yours from Illinois Boy, it explains the error well.

loisk
06-03-2016, 08:46 PM
All good advice - if you don't have the airflow panels (same as 2014 ST model), get them ASAP. Will cost you nothing. Essential. Certainly helps to reduce engine bay heat, as long as not in slow traffic.

wcricks
08-11-2016, 08:32 AM

Granted, it is hot in Texas in August but on the way home from a ride my RT started acting really erratic. After a stop for an 1 hour meeting I got back on the spyder and it immediately started to get very hot. As I headed for home the temp gauge alternated from the top of the gauge down to the bottom. The check engine lite came on and you could smell the heated vapors. Then the gauge dropped to cold even though I knew the engine was extremely hot. I made it home but by the time I stopped the engine it was steaming!

The next day the unit started right up, no codes or lights. I took it to the dealer for the 3000 mile service and reported the overheating issue. They say the problem is in the temp gauge. It may have a faulty gauge but I doubt that the gauge caused the unit to overheat. The dealer says the computer reporting will show any prior issues.

I hate to pick it up and go through this again with the problem not being fixed. I suspect it could be the cooling fans, water pump or thermostat. Any suggestions?

First Spyder
09-02-2016, 08:21 AM
My 2011 RTS is doing the same but mine reads code PO175. I think mines haunted. It has 5423 miles on it and has been back to the dealer 4 times this year.