PDA

View Full Version : I'm Spyder-less for awhile

SpyRyd
07-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Gonna be Spyder-less longer than anticipated. Delivered my Spyder to my dealer on Monday, 7 Jul, at 0930 for warranty work to fix an oil leak. Tech had previously diagnosed the issue and determined the leak was coming from the oil tank on the rear of the motor. Parts needed were ordered and received prior to me dropping off the bike. Tuesday, 8 Jul, called the dealer service writer for a status update...apparently service manual did not include removing transmission from motor which is required to r&r the oil tank. Sooooo, more parts (gaskets, seals, etc) need to be ordered (today, Wednesday, 9 Jul, Tuesday's parts order already submitted by the time they discovered more parts were needed) and won't be received before Friday (that's way optimistic IMO...more likely Monday of next week). Once additional parts are received the job can continue...hoping to get my Spyder by Saturday, 19 Jul. Needless to say I'm going through withdrawal...need my Spyder ryding wind in my face therapy!

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 08:39 AM
:gaah: Sorry to hear that your shop hasn't figured out how to order parts yet...
Maybe this will help with the withdrawal symptons...

Chupaca
07-09-2014, 11:09 AM
seems to me that all warranty work would be done with parts being overnighted..thats how we did it. Problem is apparently parts are not stocked but for those units sold and with problems they should pull parts from wherever e.i. production line other dealers etc. I would think they would want satisfied customers who are out there with their products selling for them rather than more product on the floor getting poor reviews. But I think too much..:banghead:

spydaman60
07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
seems to me that all warranty work would be done with parts being overnighted..thats how we did it. Problem is apparently parts are not stocked but for those units sold and with problems they should pull parts from wherever e.i. production line other dealers etc. I would think they would want satisfied customers who are out there with their products selling for them rather than more product on the floor getting poor reviews. But I think too much..:banghead:gene, i agree whole heartedly, but who are you and i to say this is what it should be? they ought to know themselves!!:banghead:

SpyRyd
07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
:gaah: Sorry to hear that your shop hasn't figured out how to order parts yet...
Maybe this will help with the withdrawal symptons...

Bob, I'm not upset with my dealer. They diagnosed the problem ordered the parts they expected they would need i.e., oil tank, clamps, seals, etc and when those were received I took it in for the work. Unfortunately the service manual did not state that the transmission had to be removed to replace the oil tank. Once the tech determined that, they ordered additional parts needed to support that work.

I mentioned the service manual oversight to my son-in-law who is a master mechanic with a large Chevy dealership and he kinda chuckled and said I can believe that. Apparently incomplete service manuals are not uncommon.

Anyway bottom line is my dealer knows how to order parts.

I'm kinda wondering if any other 14 owners have an oil tank leaking. My leak was minor...couple of drops or so after a long ryde...dip stick never read less than full...but I wanted it fixed.

SpyRyd
07-09-2014, 11:56 AM
seems to me that all warranty work would be done with parts being overnighted..thats how we did it. Problem is apparently parts are not stocked but for those units sold and with problems they should pull parts from wherever e.i. production line other dealers etc. I would think they would want satisfied customers who are out there with their products selling for them rather than more product on the floor getting poor reviews. But I think too much..:banghead:

Don't think the issue is (if there is one) parts but rather the service manual not including all the steps necessary to do the work. Once tech realized the added work required they ordered the parts necessary to support the additional work. If there is blame to be handed out I would surmise it belongs to the developer of the service manual, which may be BRP. :dontknow:

ARCTIC
07-09-2014, 12:13 PM

I'm kinda wondering if any other 14 owners have an oil tank leaking. My leak was minor...couple of drops or so after a long ryde...dip stick never read less than full...but I wanted it fixed.

Sounds to me like you probably should have waited until the riding season was over before getting the leak fixed. :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Not much I can add in the way of mechanical advice.

Moral support here though. Please let us know when you get back on the road again. :yes:

SpyRyd
07-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Sounds to me like you probably should have waited until the riding season was over before getting the leak fixed. :2thumbs:

I ryde year-round here in SE Virginia. Actually prefer ryding in cooler weather and being that temps are in the mid-nineties right now I'm thinking maybe this is not a bad time to get it fixed. Usually ryde early in the morning this time of year before the heat of the day kicks in, so I am missing my early morning wind therapy. So, either fix it now or fix it later was really a toss up...opted to go with now.

SpyRyd
07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Not much I can add in the way of mechanical advice.

Moral support here though. Please let us know when you get back on the road again. :yes:

Thanks, moral support is appreciated. If I don't get it back next week it will have to be the week of the 28th. Going to a softball tournament out of state to watch my granddaughter play.

SpyderAnn01
07-09-2014, 09:48 PM
I hope they get it fixed for you quickly, I hate to be Spyderless.

SpyRyd
07-10-2014, 03:18 AM
I hope they get it fixed for you quickly, I hate to be Spyderless.

Thanks Ann...me too! Probably gonna need to be Squared Away again after this major repair job...you and Joe gonna be at Spyderquest?

MikeT
07-10-2014, 05:30 AM
That SUCKS. That REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

Bob Denman
07-10-2014, 07:21 AM
(Mine was built a week later... I'll crawl around under a bit with a light, and see what I can see also! :shocked:)

SpyRyd
07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
PK and Bob,

Following pics may be helpful. Right side of bike looking up between exhaust pipe and motor. At first I thought it was the known set screw issue but tech diagnosed it as a leak where the oil tank is attached to the motor. Good luck, hope you don't find any leaks.

Bob Denman
07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks! :thumbup:
I'm printing copies of your pics, and doing some "garage-diving" tonight! :D

SNOOPY
07-11-2014, 09:50 PM
I know top mechanics in all fields of vehicles, from BWM to BRP, I wouldn't trust having a vehicle taken apart that extensively myself.

Hope they do you right.

I've sold vehicles after extensive warranty work a couple times now.

No way to trust what corners they cut.

If your trust is there, good for you. :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
07-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks Ann...me too! Probably gonna need to be Squared Away again after this major repair job...you and Joe gonna be at Spyderquest?

John, I'd love to go but we have so many trips planned that if we go on all of them our dogs will probably attack us when we get home. Right now we are not planning on Spyderquest but Mike Loescher, the guy who patented the system, will be there.

DrewNJ
07-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Is the tranny separate from the engine on the 1330?

SpyRyd
07-12-2014, 06:50 AM
I know top mechanics in all fields of vehicles, from BWM to BRP, I wouldn't trust having a vehicle taken apart that extensively myself.

Hope they do you right.

I've sold vehicles after extensive warranty work a couple times now.

No way to trust what corners they cut.

If your trust is there, good for you. :thumbup:

Snoopy, I understand your concern. I have no reason to not trust my dealer and tech. I guess the truth will be in the pudding when I get to ryde my Spyder...I fully expect it to be right.

Dan McNally
07-12-2014, 06:54 AM

John, I hope you are back on the road again, soon. Regarding SpyderQuest, it looks like we have a fifth Spyder riding with us! A fellow member of MSW and his wife have decided to go and it looks like they will join us near Gettysburg for the ride. They are staying in Scranton on day 1, but that isn't far from where we will be, so it is not a problem . . . so now our little group is up to five Spyders for the ride to SpyderQuest! I am really looking forward to this!

Perhaps, when you get back on the road, we can plan meeting in Richmond for lunch . . . maybe we can do a repeat of the March ride, sans my breakdown on I-95! :yes:

SpyRyd
07-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Interesting remarks. You would not trust the top mechanics you know that work on BRP stuff. From looking at the illustrated parts book several times, mechanically the engine and gearbox seem straightforward. Electronically, a bit more intimidating for the DIY person. Assuming the repairing dealer has a known good reputation, he should be fine.

PK

Thanks PK. I'm not aware of any negatives associated with my dealer or their Spyder tech. This is my second Spyder purchased from the same dealer and they have done all the repair/service work on both...never had an issue with the quality of the work done. I trust them and fully expect this more complex repair will be done correctly.