PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...honeycomb scoops?

Magdave
07-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Why has no one come up with (besides Vertika) a replacement scoop for the honeycomb on the RT fender? I have adjustable deflectors and think a scoop that is shaped to replace the honeycomb would not interfere with it's operation (besides maybe a little windflow loss) and could force some ventilation under the Tupperware especially on the 2013 at speed. I tried a couple of boat ones but the were difficult to fit and provided little benefit. After FB's glowing report on the new ST vents added to her's it makes me wonder what could be done in a similar vein for the RT.:dontknow: A plug and play scoop + adjustable vents seem like a viable addition to me. An additional question is why is the a giant plastic cover on the right side near the resonator that might block air flow can it be removed and might it help? Where is Scotty when you need a knowledgeable answer to this dilemma.:banghead:

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 10:42 AM
As John pointed out; the Vertika scoops do get lots of air shovelled down into the bodywork. :thumbup:
Enough to pop the side panels off at speed; if all is not perfect! :shocked:

I would proceed with caution... but I do think that you're on the right track! :2thumbs:

Magdave
07-08-2014, 10:52 AM
As John pointed out; the Vertika scoops do get lots of air shovelled down into the bodywork. :thumbup:
Enough to pop the side panels off at speed; if all is not perfect! :shocked:

I would proceed with caution... but I do think that you're on the right track! :2thumbs:
The Vertika do take a lot of the flow but they cannot be adjusted. My thinking in this case is a little smaller to fit behind the deflector and less air force ( and ability to block them off if needed by adjusting the deflectors) is a better mouse trap. It may not solve the entire heat issue but it could not hurt.:dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 11:19 AM
:agree: There's certainly room in the marketplace for them! :2thumbs:

Magdave
07-08-2014, 11:37 AM
:agree: There's certainly room in the marketplace for them! :2thumbs:
They could have a hook and nut attachment to go down into the honeycomb and hook it down at the front and 3M tape from the front to the back and sit right on top of the honeycomb. Now to get someone with metal working experience to get'er done.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 11:52 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_12.gif This may be a job for MikeGuyver! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_8.gif
He's got an RT; and he's both crazy, AND fearless! :2thumbs: :joke:

bruiser
07-08-2014, 12:03 PM
What you would probably want is a vent similar to what you have on the dash of your car. I would be leery of metal. It gets too hot in the sun.

cuznjohn
07-08-2014, 12:30 PM
i hate to correct bob, but the vents he is talking about is the top vents, i lost the side panel due to the bottom vent i put on. BRP says that the top vents are there to create a venturie effect on drawing the heat out of the engine compartment with the stationary air deflector next to them. b4 i put the top vents on i was looking at boat5 vents to put over them to draw air down into the engine, but spent the money on the virktia vents

Magdave
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
i hate to correct bob, but the vents he is talking about is the top vents, i lost the side panel due to the bottom vent i put on. BRP says that the top vents are there to create a venturie effect on drawing the heat out of the engine compartment with the stationary air deflector next to them. b4 i put the top vents on i was looking at boat5 vents to put over them to draw air down into the engine, but spent the money on the virktia vents

That's OK Bob is used to being corrected :shocked::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck:

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 12:36 PM
I stand corrected; Sir. :D :bowdown:
I forgot about your bottom panel modifications... :dontknow:

Magdave
07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
What you would probably want is a vent similar to what you have on the dash of your car. I would be leery of metal. It gets too hot in the sun.

Molded plastic would be good but metal would be a better heat sink and easier to work with ,a little Black HiTemp paint would look good. With the 3M tape it would insulate it from the bike too. Just tossing thoughts around. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 12:53 PM
A couple of THESE, hanging out from each side of the bodywork; would get folks to wondering... 91216