PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy (same as Seibel) Air Horn Install tips video

finless
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
OK folks, this was an easy job compared to my last one!
Took a little figuring to find the best mounting place but once I did, install was easy peasy!

I did not make a full how too, just a quick video on how I did it which should be easily understandable.

FYI, to me this is a GREAT upgrade over the stock "Meep Meep" horn. I recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIDZGpFm8kE

Bob

Chupaca
07-07-2014, 07:02 PM
great video and explanation on aur horn installation. I also ran stock wires and was told I will blow the fuse after 30 sec's. To which I reply if they didn't hear it in 10 they're not going to....:roflblack: Works great...thanks..:2thumbs:

finless
07-07-2014, 07:30 PM
great video and explanation on aur horn installation. I also ran stock wires and was told I will blow the fuse after 30 sec's. To which I reply if they didn't hear it in 10 they're not going to....:roflblack: Works great...thanks..:2thumbs:

If your a "horny" guy then add the relay! What I mean is, if you use it a lot and long durations... Add the relay. No offense to NY City folks but it's a daily instrument for them! So maybe you should consider it..... Kidding yet not kidding ;)

I am with you Cupa, I have never needed a horn more that 10-15 seconds!

FYI, just as a test I held it for 30 seconds. It did not blow the fuse and the wires were not hot. So to some extent, I think the horn circuit seems to be over engineered as most electrical systems are. The fuse is there and blows due to a short or extreme overload. NOT normal use even with some overload! Personally, the Sypders horn setup is perfectly fine using the stock wiring with this slightly higher load demand.

Just my opinion.

Bob

outlawsix
07-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Just posted to your video. I knew I should have looked here first. Im guessing our RTS are a tad different. I tried to mount it where you did to no avail, no space, Mine has a "junction" for my battery wires on the left side of the bike right at the top of the Frunk. Looks likes yours doesn't have it there? Trying to get it set up tomorrow, so any input from yourself or others with 2013 RTS is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

SpyderAnn01
07-28-2014, 10:55 PM
There is loads of room in the 2014 for this horn. I had Pops install one for me in Durango and it sounds great. Scares me if I hit it by mistake!

AH-NO-1
06-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Took a little figuring to find the best mounting place but once I did, install was easy peasy!

I did not make a full how too, just a quick video on how I did it which should be easily understandable.

FYI, to me this is a GREAT upgrade over the stock "Meep Meep" horn. I recommend it.

Bob
Thank You, when I get the spyder :f_spider: back from the heat recall, I a am going to install the horn that arrived last week. Thanks again -Dave If you did not receive my first Thanks, I am still in the learning process on my computer.

Upstater
07-26-2015, 07:58 PM

Bob
Thanks for posting the video. I was able to install a new Bad Boy horn with relative ease. Fabricating a bracket took more time than necessary, but it worked out fine. Installed the new horn in the same spot as yours. The help on this site is invaluable. Extra thanks to you and all the other Spyder folk for making these jobs easier.

WARWAGON
09-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Just got a 2015 RT limited need spot to put horn. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatriotRider
09-03-2015, 08:55 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115232&stc=1:shocked:

PatriotRider
09-03-2015, 09:00 AM
no relay...5amps vs 12amps

the question is does the current go through the horn button...if so and I suspect it does, it's not wiring that will be damaged over time, it's the horn switch not designed for 12amps, even in shortish bursts. That's the reason in these instances, the relay well may be the way to go, preventing switch problems

IMHO...your mileage may vary

Pampurrs
09-03-2015, 09:30 AM
I want to order this horn on Amazon, but it asks which vehicle it's for. On the pulldown list, there isn't a choice for any motorcycle brands, including Can Am.

Does it make any difference? I'm guessing it just has to do with the mounting hardware :dontknow:

Thanks,

Pam

P.S. Disregard. I failed to noticed the radio box choices above the selections where I should have checked off "Motorcycle". My bad :duh:

PatriotRider
09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
As far as I know, some of them sold for 4 wheelers come with a bracket arm bent to fit that particular car.

I purchased one for every bike I've ever owned and there was no bracket, and I never specified what bike I had. The one I purchased off Amazon last week for the Spyder just mentioned it was for a motorcycle. Mounting hardware is up to us to provide.

Again, I believe all that is true from memory & experience

best to ya

Pampurrs
09-03-2015, 10:03 AM
As far as I know, some of them sold for 4 wheelers come with a bracket arm bent to fit that particular car.

I purchased one for every bike I've ever owned and there was no bracket, and I never specified what bike I had. The one I purchased off Amazon last week for the Spyder just mentioned it was for a motorcycle. Mounting hardware is up to us to provide.

Again, I believe all that is true from memory & experience

best to ya

Stupid me! I failed to notice the choices where I could have checked off "Motorcycle" Can Am IS listed there:gaah:

Pam

ThreeWheels
09-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Just got a 2015 RT limited need spot to put horn. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finless,
Once again you prove that you have a powerful skillset.

As to the 2015 RT, it's easy to install the Wolo Bad Boy or Stebel as a 1 to 1 replacement. The new horn fits in the same place as the old one with a small modification to the installation bracket.

ThreeWheels
09-03-2015, 11:21 AM

the question is does the current go through the horn button...if so and I suspect it does, it's not wiring that will be damaged over time, it's the horn switch not designed for 12amps, even in shortish bursts. That's the reason in these instances, the relay well may be the way to go, preventing switch problems

I can't imagine that ANY handlebar mounted switch can take anywhere near those amps.
There has to be a horn relay someplace in the circuit. Evidently it's sized with enough safety factor to absorb the additional amps.

Copperman
09-03-2015, 11:32 AM
I can't imagine that ANY handlebar mounted switch can take anywhere near those amps.
There has to be a horn relay someplace in the circuit. Evidently it's sized with enough safety factor to absorb the additional amps.

I can't recommend enough the Universal Plug-n-Play Wiring Harness for Motorcycle Air Horn

(http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Plug-n-Play-Wiring-Harness-Motorcycle/dp/B0028ZKMM6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441297374&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=universal+wiring+harness+for+an+airhorn)
you can buy on Amazon for $19.95. It makes the install very easy and has a heavy-duty 30 Amp relay built in. It's plug-n-play folks! No cutting, splicing and/or soldering. Very easy!

I used one on my '13 RTL when I installed the Stebel air horn.

billybovine
09-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Nope no relay. All the current goes through the switch.

Pampurrs
09-03-2015, 11:52 AM
I can't recommend enough the Universal Plug-n-Play Wiring Harness for Motorcycle Air Horn

(http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Plug-n-Play-Wiring-Harness-Motorcycle/dp/B0028ZKMM6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441297374&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=universal+wiring+harness+for+an+airhorn)
you can buy on Amazon for $19.95. It makes the install very easy and has a heavy-duty 30 Amp relay built in. It's plug-n-play folks! No cutting, splicing and/or soldering. Very easy!

Thanks for that tip Copperman. I just ordered the wiring harness you recommend, and the Stebel air horn. The reviews on the Stebel much more favorable than those on the Bad Boy.

Pam

Copperman
09-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Thanks for that tip Copperman. I just ordered the wiring harness you recommend, and the Stebel air horn. The reviews on the Stebel much more favorable than those on the Bad Boy.

Pam

You'll be glad you did. The horn fits in the same location as the OEM horn and the wiring is pretty simple, too.

PatriotRider
09-03-2015, 06:18 PM
when I was looking to purchase a horn and wiring, I came across this wiring kit make by WOLO for $8.53. It was the only one I ran across at the time. It does not have the relay itself enclosed, only a socket for one...I think the assumption is the relay comes with the horn.

Wolo (MCHWK-2) Air Horn Wiring Kit

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I4DNP2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

<my intent is NOT to slam the stebel kit in any way>

Pampurrs
09-03-2015, 06:27 PM
when I was looking to purchase a horn and wiring, I came across this wiring kit make by WOLO for $8.53. It was the only one I ran across at the time. It does not have the relay itself enclosed, only a socket for one...I think the assumption is the relay comes with the horn.

Wolo (MCHWK-2) Air Horn Wiring Kit

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I4DNP2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

<my intent is NOT to slam the stebel kit in any way>

Byen Merci :)

Lew L
09-04-2015, 04:35 PM
The Stribel and the "bad Boy" horns are NOT the same by a good margin. I have the Stribel on my Valkyrie and a badboy on the V-Max ( bothwith relays). You can easily tell the difference and the Stribel is a real step up.
OEM horn is useless. A Stribel horn is my next farkel.

Kaos

coz
09-05-2015, 07:37 AM
The Stribel and the "bad Boy" horns are NOT the same by a good margin. I have the Stribel on my Valkyrie and a badboy on the V-Max ( bothwith relays). You can easily tell the difference and the Stribel is a real step up.
OEM horn is useless. A Stribel horn is my next farkel.

Kaos

i thought they had roughly the same sound and decibels.

Lew L
09-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Maybe it's the thin air at 6,000 ft but I honked them side by side( with freshly charged batteries) and I'm NOT mounting a "bad boy" on my :spyder2:. THe Stribel is the way to go.

Wimpy OEM horns cause:
Kaos

Illinois Boy
09-07-2015, 08:55 AM
i thought they had roughly the same sound and decibels.

From what I have read and re-read a dozen times trying to wrap my brain around this issue, I have discovered that DB levels (or claimed DB levels) means nothing as stated by manufacturers.

The first problem is how the manufacturer has measured for a DB level. There appears not to be a standardized testing method used; thus stated (advertised) DB levels are not consistent among the various products. Testing has been found to have been done at varying distances from the source; thus nullifying any meaningful comparison between two products.

Also, the "note" of the horn(s) can make a difference in how well it is heard by the human ear. It is also known that a more dissonant sound, typically provided with the use of two horn reeds, is more noticeable than a truer tone/note despite any fact of any difference in actual DB levels (to a degree).

Personally, I would like a loud horn sounding exactly like car tires screeching to a halt on hot pavement. I suspect it would get people's attention if needed. ;)

coz
09-07-2015, 02:46 PM
From what I have read and re-read a dozen times trying to wrap my brain around this issue, I have discovered that DB levels (or claimed DB levels) means nothing as stated by manufacturers.

The first problem is how the manufacturer has measured for a DB level. There appears not to be a standardized testing method used; thus stated (advertised) DB levels are not consistent among the various products. Testing has been found to have been done at varying distances from the source; thus nullifying any meaningful comparison between two products.

Also, the "note" of the horn(s) can make a difference in how well it is heard by the human ear. It is also known that a more dissonant sound, typically provided with the use of two horn reeds, is more noticeable than a truer tone/note despite any fact of any difference in actual DB levels (to a degree).

Personally, I would like a loud horn sounding exactly like car tires screeching to a halt on hot pavement. I suspect it would get people's attention if needed. ;)Side by side , it's obvious they roll out of the same factory. I bought a bad boy three years ago at HF for 35 bucks. It plays a loud kind of high pitched chord. Sounds like two trumpets. It's been great. I did use the relay that came with it.

Pampurrs
09-07-2015, 02:50 PM
I installed my Stebel Nautilus today. It sounds great!! :dg2:

Pam

Lew L
09-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Stribel horn arrive today and is already mounted. Easy farkel, and functional too as the stock horn is usless. A few minutes of wiring tomrrow and it done. Now i have 3 stribels and one bad boy.

Kaos

Lew L
09-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Wiring for the above install done and boy is it LOUD.

Kaos

Pampurrs
09-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Wiring for the above install done and boy is it LOUD.

Kaos

YUP, NICE AND LOUD!
I installed mine last week.

Pam

AH-NO-1
12-06-2015, 10:42 PM

If have a couple of questions that I need help with. Which side did you install your horn on, and the second question concerns the correct way to wire the plug and play wiring harness to the Spyder and the horn. Thank you in advance for your time and information/instructions. Dave

Copperman
12-07-2015, 08:10 AM
If have a couple of questions that I need help with. Which side did you install your horn on, and the second question concerns the correct way to wire the plug and play wiring harness to the Spyder and the horn. Thank you in advance for your time and information/instructions. Dave

On my '13 RTL I had to remove the frunk to install the horn in the same location as the stock horn. There's a black plastic piece that has a small (2 x 2) hole cut in it that the OEM horn opening sits next to. You have to take a dremel tool and expand that hole so you can reinstall it over the Stebel. It takes a few times to measure, cut, fit, measure again, cut a little more, refit, etc so that you don't cut the hole too big. Then, it all fits back together.

As far as the wiring goes (now, this is off the top of my head), the lead with the fuse hooks to your battery. The relay is already attached and its lead connects to both the horn wires and the horn itself.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to call with questions.

Jerry
317-445-1411

lou49
01-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Just posted to your video. I knew I should have looked here first. Im guessing our RTS are a tad different. I tried to mount it where you did to no avail, no space, Mine has a "junction" for my battery wires on the left side of the bike right at the top of the Frunk. Looks likes yours doesn't have it there? Trying to get it set up tomorrow, so any input from yourself or others with 2013 RTS is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi there! I know exactly what you mean as far as the location! I installed mine on the right side of the bike, right under the plastic by the fog lights! You'll have to make a bracket n bolte it to an existing body bracket on the bike! Can't missed! Once you remove the plastic you'll see it! I recommend using the relay switch! To me it sounds louder with it! Hope this will help!

SPIDR1
04-01-2016, 03:46 PM

I also have a 13 RTL and have been considering on getting an air horn. Did the air horn fit in the same position as the oem part? Did you have to modify anything to make it fit? Approx. how long did it take to do the installation. Thanks for any input.

Copperman
04-01-2016, 05:29 PM
I also have a 13 RTL and have been considering on getting an air horn. Did the air horn fit in the same position as the oem part? Did you have to modify anything to make it fit? Approx. how long did it take to do the installation. Thanks for any input.

See post #32.

It took a couple of hours, if I remember right. A guy I know, who's a mechanic, helped me.

Big Mac
04-05-2016, 06:06 AM
I mounted mine - and its relay, fed through a 20A fuse from the battery - in the nice big empty void where the original horn sat.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127325&stc=1

jmurray
04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
All this talk about Stebel, I had to get one and install to see for myself what others are saying. Well, I really like it!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127444&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127445&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127446&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127447&stc=1

jmurray
04-06-2016, 06:06 PM
...here are a few more pics and of the 20 APM fuse. I used the relay that came with the horn and made my harness. This made wiring really neat and clean.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127449&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127450&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127451&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127452&stc=1

lewis/ec
04-07-2016, 07:40 AM

Few points to consider.

1. Just because a circuit is fused at 5 amps, does not mean it uses 5 amps. You have to have a buffer in there to compensate for the 'current inrush'. The factor I use is 150%. So if the load is 3 amp, you multiply that by 150%. 4.5 amp. You use the next fuse size up....5 amps.

2. More than likely, there are other items on the same circuit as the horn. I have ordered full electronic manuals for the Spyders....but this is based off other vehicles.

3. There is a reason the horn manufacturer includes the relay. Most of these air horns draw 3 times what your stock horn does. The OEM wiring and connectors were based on that stock load.

4. Damage does not happen after one or two operations. It takes a bunch. But here is what happens....you break the weakest link. Might be a switch, might be a fuse, might be a connection. When you do find it, you get to spend a bunch of time on a Easter egg hunt that could have been totally avoided.

One other point to consider....orientation. The horn needs to be straight up and down, no more than 15 degrees off. Otherwise, the bearing in the compressor housing will get destroyed.

lewis/ec
04-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Side by side , it's obvious they roll out of the same factory. I bought a bad boy three years ago at HF for 35 bucks. It plays a loud kind of high pitched chord. Sounds like two trumpets. It's been great. I did use the relay that came with it.

The Stebel is made in Italy. Wolo Bad Boy is all China.

DanT
05-08-2016, 08:07 PM
The Stebel is made in Italy. Wolo Bad Boy is all China.

thanks Louis.

Shortcut
05-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Live in Southern Ohio? I want a loud horn on mine but mechanical work is not one of my gifts. :pray:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130347&stc=1

SuperDave_GPS
04-08-2017, 08:14 PM

I agree completely. I teach electronics to military students, and I would agree that the higher current going through the contacts inside your horn switch will kill the switch over time, even if using "short bursts".
There IS a reason why a relay is included.

finless
04-16-2017, 10:07 AM
I agree completely. I teach electronics to military students, and I would agree that the higher current going through the contacts inside your horn switch will kill the switch over time, even if using "short bursts".
There IS a reason why a relay is included.

2 years later still working!
Several others also not using the relay have had no issues as well.
I was in a parade last year and used the horn a lot. No issues.

But with that said, use the relay to be sure.

Bob

Sopher
05-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Hey Finless, long time since our paths have crossed... since way back in the RC Heli days... Trex 450 i think. Loved your build videos.

I have a 2010 RTS. Is the wiring and mount of the old horn the same as yours? I could have sworn it was on the right side. (oposite of yours).

I cant use the mounting location you did anyway since my Beaver Power Distribution box is located there.

rustynail51
05-29-2017, 09:54 PM
does anyone make horn that sounds like an old buick

finless
05-30-2017, 09:14 AM
Hey Finless, long time since our paths have crossed... since way back in the RC Heli days... Trex 450 i think. Loved your build videos.

I have a 2010 RTS. Is the wiring and mount of the old horn the same as yours? I could have sworn it was on the right side. (oposite of yours).

I cant use the mounting location you did anyway since my Beaver Power Distribution box is located there.

Yes 2010 - 2012 should be the same. It moved to the right side in 2013 as I recall.

Bob