PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the Postman

roddenby51
07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
In the air:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/flipr_photo/IMG_0393_zpsba4b9c9e.jpg

All the necessary covers removed, waiting for a package from Lamonster Garage... a new BajaRon sway bar and links:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/flipr_photo/IMG_0392_zps5ae5152a.jpg

Mail finally arrived @ 2:30PM... all buttoned up, sway bar barely visible:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/flipr_photo/IMG_0394_zps14b6cb19.jpg

SpyderAnn01
07-07-2014, 04:11 PM
You will love it!

Bob Denman
07-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Now; all that's visible; are the smiles... :D :thumbup:

91184 :congrats:

Chupaca
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
and perfect timing. Wish my stuff would fall into place like that...congrats now ryde and enjoy..!! :ohyea::ohyea:

roddenby51
07-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Two-up test of BajaRon sway bar today... wife approved! Her comment, Spyder is smoother in the curves.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/flipr_photo/IMG_0397_zps44d9e1a5.jpg

Hillman Bridge, (old highway 90) Ellaville crossing, (Suwannee River) Madison County side. Built in 1925~26, abandoned 1986.

Eagle1
07-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Looking good !! Enjoy the ride.:ohyea:

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 07:22 AM
Since I'm still debating with myself over the need for the bar... :opps:
How much of a difference have you actually seen in how the bike rides and handles?

roddenby51
07-09-2014, 07:56 AM
How much of a difference have you actually seen in how the bike rides and handles?
Hey Bob, my type of riding, the BajaRon sway bar isn't necessary for solo riding, but is a noticeable improvement with both of us on the bike. We are near the maximum recommended weight limit, and I consider the BajaRon sway bar a safety/stability item. Pilot control and passenger comfort in corners is well worth the price/installation...

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks for that assessment! :thumbup:
I had my 2010 RT set up with Ron's bar, and a set of Elka's... :bowdown:
It was, "tight & right" in the corners. :D
The 2014 seems to be just about as composed; yet certainly not as "stiff"...
So I'm just trying to sort it all out... :shocked:

roddenby51
07-09-2014, 09:05 AM
The 2014 seems to be just about as composed; yet certainly not as "stiff"...
So I'm just trying to sort it all out... :shocked:
My 2014 hasn't lost the comfortable/compliant ride with the BajaRon sway bar. (no "sway" problem with stock sway bar) Cornering is the only time I can tell a difference... even solo. (But, even solo, with the kit I normally carry in the bike, I'm over 250 pound load.) My rides begin with 100 yards of dirt driveway and 1/4 mile of graded (occasionally) lime-rock... (yes, this contributed to my progression to 3-wheels) there are times when a pick-up is the only suitable vehicle. The suspension is virtually the same (stock or BajaRon) on the lime-rock grade, all I could have hoped.

Typical: 20 psi front tires, 30 psi rear tire, rear air control medium, (solo) maximum. (with passenger)

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Okay... based upon your report; it's on the "Short-LIst"! :2thumbs:

BajaRon
07-09-2014, 10:05 AM
My 2014 hasn't lost the comfortable/compliant ride with the BajaRon sway bar. (no "sway" problem with stock sway bar) Cornering is the only time I can tell a difference... even solo. (But, even solo, with the kit I normally carry in the bike, I'm over 250 pound load.) My rides begin with 100 yards of dirt driveway and 1/4 mile of graded (occasionally) lime-rock... (yes, this contributed to my progression to 3-wheels) there are times when a pick-up is the only suitable vehicle. The suspension is virtually the same (stock or BajaRon) on the lime-rock grade, all I could have hoped.

Typical: 20 psi front tires, 30 psi rear tire, rear air control medium, (solo) maximum. (with passenger)

As you indicate, the Sway Bar should not stiffen or make the ride harsher. Typically, this is caused by the shocks.

I can only speculate as to why some report a stiffer/harsher ride. From what I have read, this is always an owner who has had both the bar and Elka shocks installed. Again, just speculating, but at least some installers set Elka's up too stiffly in an attempt to also compensate for the weak, stock sway bar. Shocks, even great ones like Elka's, are not the right tool to fix the sway bar issue. So you end up with a harsh ride. But it isn't the sway bar.

In these cases I highly recommend adjusting the Elkas to settings that give you the benefit of a great shock without the unnecessary stiffness. Elka's will definitely improve handling with or without my sway bar installed. And they can certainly do this without giving you a harsh ride.

Properly set up, my bar and Elka shocks will complement each other, giving you a very smooth ride and the best handling possible.

If the shock settings are set too stiff, you'd better use extra goo or you may lose your dentures! :rolleyes: