PDA

View Full Version : DESS Key Failure

ulflyer
07-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Been getting this "DESS" and "Key Failure" symbol off and on now for about month. Usually when the key is turned off and back on a time or two at most it starts. This morning, this didn't work and its a continuous orange light/key symbol. A code check shows P0000. Earlier they put the BUDs on it but it didn't show anything.

Mine was not on the list of earlier key problems.

Dealer not open today so it looks like a tow in tomorrow. :p

Bob Denman
07-07-2014, 09:44 AM
:shocked: "P0000" (I think!), is kind of a catch-all; "Don't know what happened... but something sure did!" sort of code! :yikes:
I know that we've kicked around options for keys; are you using an OEM key?

Chupaca
07-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I guess not being on the list dosen't mean you can't have the problem. I'm sure you did the key walk if not worth a try so the computer resets...:gaah:

ulflyer
07-07-2014, 10:00 AM
:shocked: "P0000" (I think!), is kind of a catch-all; "Don't know what happened... but something sure did!" sort of code! :yikes:
I know that we've kicked around options for keys; are you using an OEM key?

Yes, tried both OEM' key, got the same code.

I think the '14's use a diff code than the pre-'14's and the aftermarket keys couldn't be cloned by local key shops.

Bob Denman
07-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Good Luck; please let us know what it takes to make your bike happy again! :thumbup:

Magdave
07-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a bad contact in the switch to me.

billybovine
07-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Been getting this "DESS" and "Key Failure" symbol off and on now for about month. Usually when the key is turned off and back on a time or two at most it starts. This morning, this didn't work and its a continuous orange light/key symbol. A code check shows P0000. Earlier they put the BUDs on it but it didn't show anything.

Mine was not on the list of earlier key problems.

Dealer not open today so it looks like a tow in tomorrow. :p

The antenna around the ignition switch plugs directly into the DESS unit. I would suggest inspecting that connector. Not sure how much body work needs to come off to get at the DESS.

ulflyer
07-07-2014, 01:54 PM
The antenna around the ignition switch plugs directly into the DESS unit. I would suggest inspecting that connector. Not sure how much body work needs to come off to get at the DESS.

Billy, thats beyond my skill level and much as I hate the idea of it being laid up at the dealer while they wait for parts, there's not much else I can do.

Went out this PM and it performed normally!! Still gonna take it up to shop in the morning to have them take a look at it. I suspect, unless it acts up for the BUDS, they're just gonna be guessing at it.

paulbrinker
07-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I hope you get it fixed quickly.

Bob Denman
07-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Billy, thats beyond my skill level and much as I hate the idea of it being laid up at the dealer while they wait for parts, there's not much else I can do.

Went out this PM and it performed normally!! Still gonna take it up to shop in the morning to have them take a look at it. I suspect, unless it acts up for the BUDS, they're just gonna be guessing at it.
I understand, and feel; your pain... :shocked:

Good luck at the dealership; please let us know what they find! :thumbup:

james68
07-08-2014, 03:24 AM
I'm having the same problem with my 2014 Spyder dealership cannot find no codes

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 06:59 AM
A lack of codes really doesn't mean a lack of difficulties... :shocked:
Once they see the message on the screen; it's time to break out the wrenches, and replace some wonky parts! :yikes:

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 09:01 AM
I've received a keyblank; with room in it for a chip! :thumbup:
My question: how does this thing come apart for chip placement? :dontknow:

ulflyer
07-08-2014, 12:55 PM
I've received a keyblank; with room in it for a chip! :thumbup:
My question: how does this thing come apart for chip placement? :dontknow:

Never heard of a key that comes apart. And where would you get a chip that works on the '14? Thought they were different from the pre-14's. I do know the pre-'14 clones don't work in the '14.

ulflyer
07-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Got up to Winston at 9:15, drove right into the shop. Shortly afterward, tech and svc mngr conferred and decided it needs a new ignition. They thought they had one on the shelf, but didn't, so its on order and should be in this week unless it happens to be one of those items on back order. Tech remarked he had done a couple others that wasn't on the recall list.

I just hope I don't get stranded somewhere between now and then. :D

Edited Fri: Part came in yesterday; went out this morning and got the "key failure" repeatedly over a period of an hour or so. Was about to call for a Tow and as a last resort, gave it a few moderate whacks with a rubber hammer. That did the trick! Rode it on up and two hours later it was done. They have to pull the left side panel, front headlight/s, etc to get to the wiring and such. Brp only allows for an hour and half but it truly took 2 hours. Made sure the tech "felt" my appreciation!

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Never heard of a key that comes apart. And where would you get a chip that works on the '14? Thought they were different from the pre-14's. I do know the pre-'14 clones don't work in the '14.
I've got a TP-12 Crypto chip coming (Backorders! :gaah:)
Once I've got that; in theory, I can put together a key that'll take the programming from bRP... (I hope! :shocked:)

Magdave
07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Got up to Winston at 9:15, drove right into the shop. Shortly afterward, tech and svc mngr conferred and decided it needs a new ignition. They thought they had one on the shelf, but didn't, so its on order and should be in this week unless it happens to be one of those items on back order. Tech remarked he had done a couple others that wasn't on the recall list.

I just hope I don't get stranded somewhere between now and then. :D
Switches on the 2014 seem to be an issue along with oil leaks. Seems every year Spyder has it's own issues :dontknow:

ulflyer
07-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Switches on the 2014 seem to be an issue along with oil leaks. Seems every year Spyder has it's own issues :dontknow:

Maybe they used the same supplier as GM! :roflblack:

Magdave
07-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Maybe they used the same supplier as GM! :roflblack:
No it would be the shut off every time you hit a bump version.:shocked:

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Got my chip today; now all I need is a break-in service to be reached! :thumbup:
(It'll gvie me the opportunity to throw everything at the dealer, with instructions to, "Make some Magic Happen!"http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_2_127.gif )

billybovine
07-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Got my chip today; now all I need is a break-in service to be reached! :thumbup:
(It'll gvie me the opportunity to throw everything at the dealer, with instructions to, "Make some Magic Happen!"http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_2_127.gif )

So Bob you are building a key by using a Crypto TP12 chip. If I understand correctly this is not a clone but a BRP like key. Why did you not just buy a BRP key?
Now if you are correct and the 2014 BRP key uses the TP 12 chip then a clone can be made using a TPX3/4 chip.

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I'll be sure to let you know if this idea crashes and burns or not! :D

Tango
07-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Dealers want $47 for a key for the 14's. :yikes: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I've got about $17 bucks invested in mine so far... :D

If it works! :yikes:

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 06:17 PM
UPDATE: I got this new chipped keyblank cut for the RT today... the lady in the hardware store cut it for free! :thumbup:
Normally; you can start the bike with an unchipped key, if you hold the smart key up against the switch...
I tried it with the unprogrammed new key... and got The Orange Screen of Death to scream "Key Error" at me... :yikes:
Could it be that it was ignoring the real key, and just seeing that an umprogrammed dummy was in the switch?
I was hoping that the real key would trigger the "all systems go"! command; it didn't... :shocked:

billybovine
07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
UPDATE: I got this new chipped keyblank cut for the RT today... the lady in the hardware store cut it for free! :thumbup:
Normally; you can start the bike with an unchipped key, if you hold the smart key up against the switch...
I tried it with the unprogrammed new key... and got The Orange Screen of Death to scream "Key Error" at me... :yikes:
Could it be that it was ignoring the real key, and just seeing that an umprogrammed dummy was in the switch?
I was hoping that the real key would trigger the "all systems go"! command; it didn't... :shocked:

It's like two people talking to you at the same time. You can't understand either one.

Magdave
07-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Hmmm Bob does your other half know you are wasting money on useless items? :shocked::roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 08:14 PM
:yikes: In my defense; it's NOT chrome! :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 08:16 PM
It's like two people talking to you at the same time. You can't understand either one.
So a key without a chip will act differently, than one with an unprogrammed chip? :dontknow:

billybovine
07-16-2014, 08:37 PM
So a key without a chip will act differently, than one with an unprogrammed chip? :dontknow:

Maybe I am confusing things here. Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought that your new key has a TP12 chip. If so it is already setup to send a code every time it gets a magnetic pulse from the antenna in the ignition switch. So is your existing BRP key. So 2 keys sending their codes at the same time. That's a problem. I least that's how I understand it.

Bob Denman
07-16-2014, 08:40 PM
It has the chip, but is awaiting programming. ;)
I believe that your statement explains what I experienced; thanks! :thumbup:

billybovine
07-16-2014, 08:44 PM
It has the chip, but is awaiting programming. ;)
I believe that your statement explains what I experienced; thanks! :thumbup:

So now you have to get your dealer to program your Spyder to accept the codes the new key is sending out.

Bob Denman
07-17-2014, 06:55 AM
*BING* :D :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Got the "EBay key from China today... There's not really much that's useful on the package...
I've decided to keep this key as a "dummy" for opening locked compartments...91636
The Aprilia one that came from Hawaii; will get a pass by BUDS, and see if some Magic happens! :thumbup: