PDA

View Full Version : What Replaced Your Stock Gauges?

Tango
07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
That is after you disconnected them and went to digital? What did you find that will fit in the original holes? And look like they belong there. Also, how are they disconnected? :dontknow: Tom :trike:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-06-2014, 07:30 PM
That is after you disconnected them and went to digital? What did you find that will fit in the original holes? And look like they belong there. Also, how are they disconnected? :dontknow: Tom :trike:
....I bought the Basic 2014 RT and it didn/t come with any side guages, just plugs / caps.......I put in two 12 volt accessory plugs using two metal caps from correct size jars I had , they look quite nice IMHO because they have a raised surround that looks OEM of sorts......one is for my GPS power the other has a CIgar lighter in it ........Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Netminder
07-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Nothing yet, old non functioning gauges are still there, haven't decided why I want there!:dontknow:Pretty easy to disconnect.

bcoulter19
07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
I bought a dash power from jthorton. It has 2 USB power plugs for one and I haven't decided on the other yet.

Omcge
07-06-2014, 07:58 PM

I put a clock and a voltmeter in mine. There many others available.

bcoulter19
07-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I put a clock and a voltmeter in mine. There many others available.

Where did you get the clock

Cruzr Joe
07-06-2014, 10:26 PM
I put a Dual USB on the left side and a clock on the right side. Clock is a stick on from www.clocks4bikes.com

Cruzr Joe

ARtraveler
07-06-2014, 10:29 PM
How are they disconnected? Unscrew the bolts on the gauge cover. Unplug and tape the ends of the connecting wires to the gauges. Replace the gauge cover. Your digitals will come on automatic.

jcthorne
07-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Installed Autometer full sweep volt meter on the left and full sweep oil pressure in the right. Used the cobalt series gauges and they look factory.

bcoulter19
07-07-2014, 07:33 AM
I put a Dual USB on the left side and a clock on the right side. Clock is a stick on from www.clocks4bikes.com (http://www.clocks4bikes.com)

Cruzr Joe

Where did you get the blank or did you just stick the clock over the gauge?

Bill C.

jthornton
07-07-2014, 07:40 AM

I put a Dual USB on one side and a switched and fused 12v on the other side.

Here is the Dual USB instructions (http://gnipsel.com/spyderpdf/DP-1.pdf)

JT

Pennyrick
07-07-2014, 09:11 AM

The oil pressure and voltmeter gauges are Auto Meter and I bought them on line from Summitt Racing Products. I like these because the white lettering on black background matches the factory gauge panel almost exactly.Any standard size gauge in the 2-1/16" family will fit. I assume you mean connected rather than disconnected.

The voltmeter goes across the positive/negative wires formerly powering the fuel gauge but for more accuracy some folks go back to the battery and run a separate line.

Oil pressure is much more complicated with a sending unit that has to go into the engine and an adapter is necessary to refit the factory warning light and run a high pressure oil line to the gauge. There are several posts on this as well as some installation instructions. Just search under 'oil pressure gauge' for lots more information.

Cruzr Joe
07-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Where did you get the blank or did you just stick the clock over the gauge?

Bill C.

www.prosportgauges.com

in the search field put 52 mm blank

it should come up with the following options

PS-52BLNK & PS-52BLNK-S

Cruzr Joe

Tango
07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Tom,
Will you be heading toward Ron's on Saturday? :dontknow:

Tango
07-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Tom,
Will you be heading toward Ron's on Saturday? :dontknow:

It looks that way Bob. Waiting for Ron to confirm the appt.. I'm an hour and forty five away. Looking to get there by 9am. :thumbup: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
07-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Stay in touch about it; I'll try to shake loose for Saturday morning! :2thumbs:

The-BigDog-30
10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
I bought a dash power from jthorton. It has 2 USB power plugs for one and I haven't decided on the other yet.

Did you use any additional wiring or did it connect up with wiring used for the gauge. Thanks

Raknid
10-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I know the OP got the answer earlier, but went with ProSport clock and voltmeter too... fwiw.

Tony8472
10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I used a suction cup Ram Mount and installed my GPS in the left hand hole. One of the other members of this site gave me the idea. It doesn't have to be a GPS - it can be anything that you can use a Ram Mount for. I like this location as I don't have to look so far down to see the GPS.

It is very easy. You just push out the pin to separate it into two pieces, put them together again with the suction cup behind the hole, then reinsert the pin. You now have a sturdy Ram Mount holder.

Dragonrider
10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
I have a base as well, and mounted my analog clock and thermometer on the blank covers.

Brogers57
08-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Can a 12volt be installed on one side and usb plugs on the other? Plug and play it seems, yes? Links to what you bought please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finless
08-25-2015, 12:16 AM
I used a suction cup Ram Mount and installed my GPS in the left hand hole. One of the other members of this site gave me the idea. It doesn't have to be a GPS - it can be anything that you can use a Ram Mount for. I like this location as I don't have to look so far down to see the GPS.

It is very easy. You just push out the pin to separate it into two pieces, put them together again with the suction cup behind the hole, then reinsert the pin. You now have a sturdy Ram Mount holder.

Pretty sure that was me and my videos....

Oh and MANY are now running the same volt gauge I also showed about a year ago....

Not trying to brag but when I see seven spiders at a meet and see the same setup... I know where it came from.

Then we have the major posters here that seem to want to chime in on every post yet not give any info and then banter posts beyond belief! And you know who you are!!!! Yet they will NOT EVER reference others work ONLY give comments that provide no value....

Anyway... pretty much done here with some people..... Astounds me with some of the attitudes.... They have to comment on everything yet provide very little....

Anyway here is some content you might like that helps....

A very nice 12V volt gauge that works well on the Spyder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvcNqnbZQdQ

Using RAM mount on your dash and 12V connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTwhpdFq4Q

Sorry I went off on a rant... but sheesh man... some of the posts whores recently need to back off!
I mean turning many threads into "he said she said" is NOT HELPING PEOPLE...... You know who you are....

Makes me not want to come back here anymore...... You guys that like to shoot the sh*t all the time...
Just an idea..
Maybe stay out of threads where people really need help and take it offline somewhere.... Answer the posts with help but then take your personal BS "he said she said" crap somewhere else...
This should not be your personal message forum and argument forum! We all do not need or want to see that crap!
It makes it hard for anyone to use SEARCH and then have to weed through all the BS "click" post whores crap posts all through a thread!

THEN.... and this is the hard part.... Post whores...... If you really have no value to add..... WHY POST?

Bob

M109Dreamer
08-25-2015, 12:58 AM
Pretty sure that was me and my videos....

Oh and MANY are now running the same volt gauge I also showed about a year ago....

Not trying to brag but when I see seven spiders at a meet and see the same setup... I know where it came from.

Then we have the major posters here that seem to want to chime in on every post yet not give any info and then banter posts beyond belief! And you know who you are!!!! Yet they will NOT EVER reference others work ONLY give comments that provide no value....

Anyway... pretty much done here with some people..... Astounds me with some of the attitudes.... They have to comment on everything yet provide very little....

Anyway here is some content you might like that helps....

A very nice 12V volt gauge that works well on the Spyder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvcNqnbZQdQ

Using RAM mount on your dash and 12V connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTwhpdFq4Q

Sorry I went off on a rant... but sheesh man... some of the posts whores recently need to back off!
I mean turning many threads into "he said she said" is NOT HELPING PEOPLE...... You know who you are....

Makes me not want to come back here anymore...... You guys that like to shoot the sh*t all the time...
Just an idea..
Maybe stay out of threads where people really need help and take it offline somewhere.... Answer the posts with help but then take your personal BS "he said she said" crap somewhere else...
This should not be your personal message forum and argument forum! We all do not need or want to see that crap!
It makes it hard for anyone to use SEARCH and then have to weed through all the BS "click" post whores crap posts all through a thread!

THEN.... and this is the hard part.... Post whores...... If you really have no value to add..... WHY POST?

Bob
Yep its the same setup. Tony swung by and I showed him ours based of your set up. I really like the voltmeter also. Our voltmeter warning light is always on. Not sure if its due to not running the wire all the way back to the battery?

My next one is the usb/cig lighter one on each side in the corner or the grill.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jthornton
08-25-2015, 05:34 AM
Can a 12volt be installed on one side and usb plugs on the other? Plug and play it seems, yes? Links to what you bought please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what I make and use on my spyder.

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=55

JT

Brogers57
08-25-2015, 07:43 AM
JT,

Thanks for your response. I just want to make sure I get everything right. Could you include what each setup needs:

USB setup:
-
-
-
-

12v Setup:
-
-
-
-

Would be great! Thanks.

Here is what I make and use on my spyder.

http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=55

JT

jthornton
08-25-2015, 10:23 AM
JT,

Thanks for your response. I just want to make sure I get everything right. Could you include what each setup needs:

If this is for your 2014 RT you need:
USB setup:
Dash Power Bezel
Dual USB Power Socket
USB + 12v Fused Y Harness

12v Setup:
Dash Power Bezel
12v Power Socket

JT

Brogers57
08-25-2015, 11:03 AM
I have RTS with the gauges. Are the Bezel's needed? I was thinking that the USB and 12v would fight flush. I know the USB can use the power already there but the 12v will need a fuse or am I wrong?

If this is for your 2014 RT you need:
USB setup:
Dash Power Bezel
Dual USB Power Socket
USB + 12v Fused Y Harness

12v Setup:
Dash Power Bezel
12v Power Socket

JT

jthornton
08-25-2015, 02:53 PM
I have RTS with the gauges. Are the Bezel's needed? I was thinking that the USB and 12v would fight flush. I know the USB can use the power already there but the 12v will need a fuse or am I wrong?

Yes, the bezels are what transition the much larger hole to the correct size for the 12v and USB. The 12v needs a fused harness that goes to the battery. If you put both 12v and USB it just makes sense to use a Y harness and not tap into the gauge light.

JT