PDA

View Full Version : Spare Key Replacement ...

Dikicep9
07-04-2014, 11:24 PM
How/where do I get a replacement spare key for my RT-S?

Chupaca
07-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Kwik Keys..they have blanks and clone your exsisting key. I got the blanks online, can am uses the Aprilla motorcycle blanks and run about $7.00. Either way your coming in under fifty bucks. Now the 2014's are a bit tougher...:thumbup:

joebryanjr
07-05-2014, 06:21 AM
The challenge with cloning keys is if there is an error you have no keys that work. There have been posts on here from owners that have had that problem.
the safer, if more expensive, way is to get a key at the dealer $50-70 depending on dealer and have them program it. It requires bringing the Spyder to the dealer for programming. If you have a good relationship with a good dealer they might even comp it. It takes only a few minutes.
This way you are assured of a successful outcome.
While I am as frugal as anyone, there are times when spending a few more dollars is worth it to avoid a significant risk. IHMO!

Bob Denman
07-05-2014, 07:32 AM
The challenge with cloning keys is if there is an error you have no keys that work. IHMO!
Easy way to prevent that from becoming a problem...:D
Ride the bike to the place that clones your key, and check the copies out; right in the parking lot... :2thumbs:

joebryanjr
07-05-2014, 07:43 AM
So true, but if the cloning affects your original key (which is what was noted in a previous post) you now have no working keys and a Spyder away from home. Call me paranoid! To me the peace of mind is worth a few bucks.

Easy way to prevent that from becoming a problem...:D
Ride the bike to the place that clones your key, and check the copies out; right in the parking lot... :2thumbs:

Gray Ghost
07-05-2014, 08:05 AM
I have five cloned keys, copied from both originals, there are no problems with my keys. Thousands of people used cloned auto keys without problems.

rob-airborne
07-05-2014, 08:43 AM
How/where do I get a replacement spare key for my RT-S?
I now live in Michigan near Notre Dame Univ in Indiana.
My new wife and I had to ride up to Dearborne Mi about 3 hours up the road to get my one key cloned. It took about 2 hours + $55. I bought the Spyder in St Augustine Fl complete with the maintenance package. I have to check with the closest dealer to see if they will honor the maintenance package.
My wife drives it more than I do because I had a stroke 3 years ago.

Bob Denman
07-05-2014, 08:46 AM
So true, but if the cloning affects your original key (which is what was noted in a previous post) you now have no working keys and a Spyder away from home. Call me paranoid! To me the peace of mind is worth a few bucks.

:shocked: I don't know how it could. They only read and copy it... :dontknow:

billybovine
07-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Original keys from BRP are fixed code and not rewritable so cannot be damaged by the cloning process.

Please also note that no one has been able to clone a 2014 key so far. At least that I have heard.

Bob Denman
07-05-2014, 08:48 AM
:agree: You can't, "Send In The Clones", for 2014... :roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdkqG9Bcl28