PDA

View Full Version : Break your mirror? Replace it cheap!

finless
07-04-2014, 10:59 AM
OK yesterday while doing the "behind the mirror" LED mods to my mirrors, I managed to break one.
No I did not break it trying to get it out. I got that far then did a stupid thing by dropping a screw driver on the damn mirror!

I have read here that the only way to replace the mirror is to order a new mirror assembly from BRP at like $400!

In a panic I had an idea and it worked!

See the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAG88E8ioM

Bob

Chupaca
07-04-2014, 11:14 AM
great video and will help some for sure. Good to know which replacement lens will work best...thanks..!! :2thumbs:

stevedfive
07-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Haha. You the man. :2thumbs:

finless
07-04-2014, 11:44 AM
I am going to trace out the outline of the mirror and created a printable PDF that you can take to the glass shop.

If ever I break one again it would be good to have this rather than trying to get the broken mirror off in 1 piece so the glass shop can trace it.

Stay tuned

Bob

Jeriatric
07-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Bob,

You never cease to amaze me. nojoke

Thanks.........one more time :thumbup:

Craniac
07-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Straight edge would not work on the curved surface of the mirror.

Cutting glass is actually quite simple if you have the tools. Stained glass happens to be one of my hobbies.

So, if anyone near Roswell NM needs a new mirror, shoot me a PM.

finless
07-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Straight edge would not work on the curved surface of the mirror.

Cutting glass is actually quite simple if you have the tools. Stained glass happens to be one of my hobbies.

So, if anyone near Roswell NM needs a new mirror, shoot me a PM.

I have a thin metal straight edge that flexes and will follow a curved surface. I use it all the time on my RC model hobby for doing just that. It's also thin enough to allow a glass cutter to follow it.
Either way this guy could not cut a straight line freehand! If the Pro guy is there on Monday, hopefully he will do a better job :)

Bob

finless
07-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Here is a outline of the RT mirror in PDF format you can print and take to a glass cutter.

This is of the right mirror but it doesn't matter, just flip it over for the left mirror.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BFwCzfMWZ8MDJKTDVqUlp3dkU/edit?usp=sharing

Bob

jtoro1
07-04-2014, 01:15 PM
I have a thin metal straight edge that flexes and will follow a curved surface. I use it all the time on my RC model hobby for doing just that. It's also thin enough to allow a glass cutter to follow it.
Either way this guy could not cut a straight line freehand! If the Pro guy is there on Monday, hopefully he will do a better job :)

Bob

Great tip I broke my mirror doing the Install of the turn leds , this will come handy.By the way your tools look like the tools I used at Xerox for 36 years. Do you work there.

finless
07-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Great tip I broke my mirror doing the Install of the turn leds , this will come handy.By the way your tools look like the tools I used at Xerox for 36 years. Do you work there.

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

Yes I do. I started as a service rep in 1979 and left the field in 1983. I am now in software engineering and run a team of developers.

This October will be my 35th year.

You?

Bob

jtoro1
07-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Retiredfinless;836420]:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

Yes I do. I started as a service rep in 1979 and left the field in 1983. I am now in software engineering and run a team of developers.

This October will be my 35ideasar.

You?

Bob[/QUOTE]

Retired after 36 years with xerox as a service rep on Feb 2013 and the air forse reserve F16 crew chief with 29 years in Dec 2013 i miss my jobs , it is a small world. You have many good ideas . Thanks john

finless
07-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Retiredfinless;836420]:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

This October will be my 35th year.

You?

Bob

Retired after 36 years with xerox as a service rep on Feb 2013 and the air forse reserve F16 crew chief with 29 years in Dec 2013 i miss my jobs , it is a small world. John

I use to be a USCO service planning manager. Also setup a lot of training in Leesburg VA. Possibly we have met?

What products did you work on? Most of my stuff was printing systems products that I managed.

Bob

mhoecker
07-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Here is a outline of the RT mirror in PDF format you can print and take to a glass cutter.

This is of the right mirror but it doesn't matter, just flip it over for the left mirror.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BFwCzfMWZ8MDJKTDVqUlp3dkU/edit?usp=sharing

Bob

Bob, thanks so much for taking the time and effort of putting this up for the rest of us!! Much appreciated.

Madonna

billybovine
07-04-2014, 03:25 PM
I was going to do the same thing except I was not going to start until I knew I could get replacement glass. I had already talk to my glass guy but had not gone looking for a bigger replacement glass to cut down at an auto parts store. So thanks for blazing the rest of the trail. Making a PDF template is a good idea. The ST mirror is a different shape so I guess I will have to make one of my own.

Dan McNally
07-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Bob, you saved a lot of folks a lot of worry over installing the behind the mirror signal lights! Thanks, once again, for showing us how to do things, so well! :firstplace::bowdown:

zuni
07-05-2014, 03:22 PM
So I'm guessing we will see a new video shortly on the install process? Hint Hint.:thumbup:

CJ JAX

Magdave
07-05-2014, 03:33 PM
:clap: Another great job Bob thanks now I might try re doing my mirrors. :thumbup:

donec
07-06-2014, 07:09 PM
They said they could not use regular glass due to the fact that car mirrors are translucent to reduce the brightness. It seems to me that would not make a lot of difference. Do you know of any other reason for not using regular glas mirrors or even plastic mirrors?

finless
07-06-2014, 08:10 PM
They said they could not use regular glass due to the fact that car mirrors are translucent to reduce the brightness. It seems to me that would not make a lot of difference. Do you know of any other reason for not using regular glas mirrors or even plastic mirrors?

Mirrors are curved to give more field of view and thus "objects in mirror are closer the they appear".
Regular mirrors are flat.
Also, the Spyder mirror backplate is curved so flat mirrors may not even work.

Bob