PDA

View Full Version : is it the nanny?

quadfather
07-03-2014, 08:04 PM
i'm pretty new to my 2013 st-s , I have logged just over 500 miles on it . but I have many years of atv and snowmobile racing experience. so I feel very comfortable on it. my question is that I have been trying to get aggressive cornering with it. and it seems to shut off or hesitate in hard corners, it even seems to do it when pulling out of a side street around a corner hard in first gear. is that just nanny trying to keep things under control, or is it a hesitation or bog?

SpydermanCT
07-03-2014, 08:39 PM
It's the nanny keeping you in check. I find that leaning will help reduce the amount that the nanny kicks in at slow speeds but unfortunately she's in control.

Chupaca
07-03-2014, 08:47 PM
the nanny can be a handful. You have to learn a few tricks to get around her. Coming into the corners high and off the throttle will get you to the inside and straight enough to power out, coming in to the corners in a higher gear also confuses her. Tight corners are tough she puts on the brakes not much you can do there. Not to say you may need the yaw adjusted etc. I have maintained they should have settings...touring, sport and race...:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-04-2014, 08:44 AM
:shocked: Nanny can be a tough one... but she's also the one that'll save your bacon, if things get REALLY ugly! :yikes:

ARCTIC
07-04-2014, 10:13 AM
It is the Nanny slapping your hand. It's more constrictive when you have a passenger as there's a seat sensor in the rear seat that makes adjustments to the nanny's rules & regulations when it senses someone is riding along.

billybovine
07-04-2014, 10:35 AM
To know for sure look at the gage cluster a yellow light will be on while the nanny is stepping in.

quadfather
07-04-2014, 10:48 AM
To know for sure look at the gage cluster a yellow light will be on while the nanny is stepping in.

thanks for all the info i'll look for the light. funny thing is I mostly notice it turning left. I don't think I have felt it on right hand turn.

billybovine
07-04-2014, 10:51 AM
thanks for all the info i'll look for the light. funny thing is I mostly notice it turning left. I don't think I have felt it on right hand turn.

It sounds like a calibration issue. The next time you bring it in, have the dealer reset the sensors.

BikerDoc
07-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I feel a lot of it is timing. precisely where you brake, what speed you hit the curve and when you hit the throttle full open and hold it. I ride the Spyder the way I would drive a sports car. After nearly 100000 miles of practice I never feel the nanny there except when I occasionally throw the bike into a skid on purpose just to make sure it is still working. Keep pushing and pay attention to timing and I think you can get the corner thrills that many of us know and love

ARCTIC
07-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I feel a lot of it is timing. precisely where you brake, what speed you hit the curve and when you hit the throttle full open and hold it. I ride the Spyder the way I would drive a sports car. After nearly 100000 miles of practice I never feel the nanny there except when I occasionally throw the bike into a skid on purpose just to make sure it is still working. Keep pushing and pay attention to timing and I think you can get the corner thrills that many of us know and love

I agree in that there are different ways to attack the same curve and you keep everything smooth and gentle it will give you more throttle

Bob Denman
07-04-2014, 05:41 PM
:agree: Smooth counts; BIG time! :D :2thumbs:

stewartj239
07-05-2014, 07:13 AM
i'm pretty new to my 2013 st-s , I have logged just over 500 miles on it . but I have many years of atv and snowmobile racing experience. so I feel very comfortable on it. my question is that I have been trying to get aggressive cornering with it. and it seems to shut off or hesitate in hard corners, it even seems to do it when pulling out of a side street around a corner hard in first gear. is that just nanny trying to keep things under control, or is it a hesitation or bog?

Yes it is. I came to the Spyder after riding 25+ years on 2 wheels and struggled with it from day one. I agree that you can learn to ride "around" it as others have suggested. Personally, I started cornering the Spyder more like a snowmobile which also helped. Lastly, a good set of aftermarket suspension, such as Elka, will also make a significant improvement. I am at a point right now where it rarely kicks in which actually makes the ride enjoyable where before it was just pure frustation. The nanny by far was my biggest problem with learning to ride the Spyder.

Bob Denman
07-05-2014, 05:33 PM
I find her disconcerting :gaah:... yet comforting! :thumbup:

quadfather
07-05-2014, 09:15 PM
I won't say it bothers me that much when i'm riding. I just wanted to be sure I don't have a problem. It's pretty annoying though when I have to pull out into traffic from a dead stop turning left. I get half way out and it hesitates for a bit, kinda like it's bogs for a second.
I have a long ride planned for tomorrow , so I will watch for the light on the dash.

daveinva
07-06-2014, 07:51 AM
I rarely trip the Nanny anymore except in extreme mountain twisties-- taking off-camber incline/decline corners fast can make the Spyder buck like a baby bronco-- wheeeeeeeee! :yes:

Three recommendations:

1. Shifting your weight. Move your butt one-cheek over on the seat into the turn, lean forward a little bit (like you're kissing the inside mirror), press your inside thigh against the tank, push off with your outside foot, look through the turn, steer through the turn, roll-on the throttle through the turn. Do that for a thousand miles and you'll be comfy as can be.

2. Get an upgraded anti-sway bar. Single best improvement you can make.

3. Consider upgraded shocks. I put the Fox shocks on my RS, they're cheaper than the Elkas but good enough for me.

Safe riding, and have fun!

DrewNJ
07-06-2014, 08:00 AM
I won't say it bothers me that much when i'm riding. I just wanted to be sure I don't have a problem. It's pretty annoying though when I have to pull out into traffic from a dead stop turning left. I get half way out and it hesitates for a bit, kinda like it's bogs for a second.
I have a long ride planned for tomorrow , so I will watch for the light on the dash.
Don't "turn" left as much. As your pulling up let's say to pull out of a parking lot from a stop, situate the spyder pointed more toward the direction you want to go.
Basically, cut the corner as much as you can.

Pulling out into traffic hard from a turn situation, Nanny is looking at steering angle and throttle position. Give less input on steering angle and it will settle things down.

Well Hell
07-06-2014, 11:09 AM
I too find find the nanny troubling! It's either the one on the Spyder or the one sitting behind me telling me to slow down in the curves!:bowdown::yes:

sledmaster
07-08-2014, 03:47 PM
You are most likely just finding the calibration limits of the stability control system. That said, I have found the nanny to be more sensitive on some units than others. Even my two identical 2008s were slightly different, so there indeed is something to be said for sensitivity differences. One of my 2008s would kick in the nanny quite a bit earlier than the other, consistently. After 30,000+ miles of switching back and forth on each, you knew there was a difference between the two.

It would be helpful for you to ride a different (ideally same year and model) unit to see how they compare. Not sure if there are any calibration changes such as sensor sensitivity that are even available, but I believe it is possible your unit might be kicking in the nanny sooner than say another unit. But you say you are a snowmobiler, then you should be familiar with inside ski lift. The Spyder really frowns upon this behavior, so leaning towards the inside ski (wheel) keeps the sensors from getting out of whack. When the nanny senses inside wheel lift, it stutters momentarily to keep the wheels on the ground. Turning hard and applying throttle with little leaning into the corner are a sure-fire formula to get it to kick in. You have to a) get out of the throttle, b) turn less abruptly, c) lean into the corner more. A sway bar and/or different shocks will both help reduce the amount of body roll and delay the nanny, to a degree, but then the unit can simply lift (later) instead of inducing a slower body roll. It is all a compromise.

I've said it before, but having driven prototype Spyders way back before they had stability control, when they would lift the inside front tire you were on a literal tetter-totter and it took a good rider to keep everything in check. This is a natural behavior for a snowmobiler, but the non-snowmobilers found this very startling. The nanny is set the way it is for a very good reason - to keep us safe and in control. Sure we might like to try it with it off, but then there would be a bunch of us crashing our brains out. We don't want any of that! :shocked:

ARCTIC
07-08-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm a huge fan of ski lift. It keeps me out of the trees and creek bottoms!!! Lol 91221

If/when you actually trick the nanny and get a wheel up in the air it freaks her out. Going through needles canyon in the black hills I got a wheel in the air and she locked up the brakes on me. Haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

quadfather
07-08-2014, 05:39 PM
you guys hit the nail on the head. either on the sled or the quad it's no big deal to lift a ski or wheel coming out of corner hard. but it doesn't seem i'm anywhere near that edge on the spyder. I tried to pay attention on the last ride for the warning light when it happened, but no light. I even noticed that if you take off slowly in a strait line, and then nail the throttle once rolling at low rpm's it has a similar hesitation , I know it's a high rpm twin. but it's not light it bogs till the rpm comes up. but more like it shuts off and then lights back up. I know it's not actually stalling. but I figure it's just the fly by wire throttle shutting off and on abruptly. it goes in for the first service next week, so i'll see if the BUDS has any codes ect.