PDA

View Full Version : Truth or lie????

SpyderGAAZ
07-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Dealer is telling me I need a maintenance agreement.....I don't like the fact that they push them so much. Seems to me there is a good reason why.
also told me that the 2014 RS has to have oil changes at the dealership due to needing to be hooked up to BUDS. If you do the oil change yourself it will go into limp mode and won't go past 1st gear?? Is that true?
BUDS is needed to reset it after oil change???

i am going to the dealer to hopefully purchase on sat ???there is too much stuff with these trikes that makes the process more complex.

do I need an extended warranty?? I am not financing through them so they are not happy.....my finance company will not finance warranties or maintenance agreements and I do not have thousands more to put down on the Spyder.

all chime in please I need some advice!!

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 02:53 PM
:shocked: Don't walk... RUN to another dealer!!! :yikes:
This guy is about as full of :cus: as the biggest Christmas Turkey you ever saw!! nojoke

Jeriatric
07-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Dealer is telling me I need a maintenance agreement.....I don't like the fact that they push them so much. Seems to me there is a good reason why.
also told me that the 2014 RS has to have oil changes at the dealership due to needing to be hooked up to BUDS. If you do the oil change yourself it will go into limp mode and won't go past 1st gear?? Is that true?

i am going to the dealer to hopefully purchase on sat ???there is too much stuff with these trikes that makes the process more complex.

do I need an extended warranty?? I am not financing through them so they are not happy.....my finance company will not finance warranties or maintenance agreements and I do not have thousands more to put down on the Spyder.

DING!!!? That's the sound of the BS bell.

Find another dealer. Or, suffer the conseqences. nojoke

ivanlee
07-02-2014, 02:55 PM

I would go to another dealer.

ARtraveler
07-02-2014, 02:56 PM
I believe there is a current offer that gives Best Warranty as part of a new vehicle purchase.

The dealer is blowing smoke concerning :spyder2: must be serviced at the dealer because it needs to be connected to BUDS for an oil change. A lot of owners do their own oil change service.

Telling you that you "must" buy an extended warranty is BS. That is your choice. If you do buy an extended warranty or service package, make sure it is one honored by all dealers.

The dealer seems to be looking for ways to increase their profit margin on your purchase. They lose some of it when you don't finance.

I would not purchase from this dealer.

Chupaca
07-02-2014, 03:03 PM
extended warranty is an option and you have up to the day your factory warranty expires to purchase it. Mainteance contracts are new and may help those that don't do their own work but are also an option. I do suggest they do the first service so they check break in with buds (not required for oil changes). After that you can do your own work and have it hooked up from time to time to the buds system for updateds and stored codes...hope you have other dealers around or find someone there that is better informed...!! :thumbup:

Eagle1
07-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Find another dealer, sounds like a lot of BS to me.:yikes:o

ARCTIC
07-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Looks like the only promotion with free BEST warranty is on the 2013's

Pennyrick
07-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Maintenance agreements are only worthwhile if....
- You are happy with the dealer and plan to have your Spyder serviced there for the life of the agreement. Most are three year deals. Service agreements don't move around from dealer to dealer.
- The dealer is betting that you will be like the average motorcycle rider and put less than 5,000 miles per year on your machine. That gets you three service intervals in the three years. You pay for six so the money for the other three goes in the dealer's pocket. If you do use all six, you will need to drive over 25,000 miles in the three year period.

-The extended warranty makes sense but it also makes sense to wait until the Spyder is a few month's from expiry on the factory warranty. Prices fluctuate and it may be cheaper to wait. Also, you may decide to sell the Spyder. (although it is transferable).

I think the dealer you are talking to is being dishonest with you. If they do that now, I believe you will get more dishonesty in the future. I would find another place to buy the Spyder.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
:shocked: Don't walk... RUN to another dealer!!! :yikes:
This guy is about as full of :cus: as the biggest Christmas Turkey you ever saw!! nojoke
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:...............Mikeguyver....:thumbup:

ARCTIC
07-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Maintenance agreements are only worthwhile if....
- You are happy with the dealer and plan to have your Spyder serviced there for the life of the agreement. Most are three year deals. Service agreements don't move around from dealer to dealer.
- The dealer is betting that you will be like the average motorcycle rider and put less than 5,000 miles per year on your machine. That gets you three service intervals in the three years. You pay for six so the money for the other three goes in the dealer's pocket. If you do use all six, you will need to drive over 25,000 miles in the three year period.

-The extended warranty makes sense but it also makes sense to wait until the Spyder is a few month's from expiry on the factory warranty. Prices fluctuate and it may be cheaper to wait. Also, you may decide to sell the Spyder. (although it is transferable).

I think the dealer you are talking to is being dishonest with you. If they do that now, I believe you will get more dishonesty in the future. I would find another place to buy the Spyder.

Another thing worth mentioning is that you can shop around with different dealers on the extended warranty. They can all write them

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Looks like the only promotion with free BEST warranty is on the 2013's
:hun:....When I purchased my 2014 RT ( in May ) they gave me an extra year of the B.E.S.T. coverage after normal 2 yr. warranty expires ......:yes::yes::yes::yes:..Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Dudley
07-02-2014, 04:07 PM
TOTAL BS! One reason to push Ext Warranties is the profit margin. A dealer can sell you a policy at whatever price he wants over his cost. A $900 cost to you is about a $250 cost to dealer. Tell this turkey that you are not a turnip fresh fallen off the truck. Better yet, don't even give him the courtesy for calling him back. What he gave you was nothing but lies. We are on our 2nd Spyder and I have never taken either bike back to the dealer for anything but warranty/recall maintenance. I also sold Honda MC for four years so I am somewhat knowledged in what I am saying.

MouthPiece
07-02-2014, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=SpyderGAAZ;835414]Dealer is telling me I need a maintenance agreement.....I don't like the fact that they push them so much. Seems to me there is a good reason why.

all chime in please I need some advice!![/QUOTE
Most of what the dealer told you was BS. However, I'll jump on the "counterpoint" side of this. I know nothing about motors, oil, tires, VSS, DPS, GPS or any other S.

Consequently, when I bought my 2013 RT-S in December of 2012, I opted for the maintenance agreement. It cost me $1,500.00. To date I have not paid a plug nickle for any of my services, etc. I have a little over 18,000 miles and I've used 5 (I think) services. I have one left and I'm using it for my 22,000 mile maintenance and services. It has been well worth it and a friend to me.

​Chris PS: [edit] Maintenance agreements and extended warranties are two different things.

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Maintenance agreements and extended warranties are two different things.

:agree: nice; but certainly not a requirement!

Tazzel
07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
My Dealer did not offer Maintenance agreement or extended warranty option. I think because by that time he already knew what a cheap B*t*h I was and that I had done my home work. A month before my 2 year warranty ran out I shopped around for the 3 year extended BEST warranty. Prices were all the way up to 1500.00 to 699.00 so it pays to shop around.

bruiser
07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
How close are you to South Carolina? Check out Velocity Powersports in Summerville.

Like others said, run away. Find another dealer. Some dealers do offer the maintenance package. Friend of mine has it on both his new Spyders. It is not mandatory.

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
I think because by that time he already knew what a cheap B*t*h I was and that I had done my home work. .
"Cheap"?? Never!!
"Discriminating"?? Absolutely!! :thumbup:
I'm not sure what that second word is :shocked:... but I doubt that it's accurate either!! :D

SpyderGAAZ
07-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks to Doc for the conversation ....you set my mind at ease
thanks for all the responses I am going to a different dealer sat and if they try the same &$@)I am going to tell them to stick it! My husband told be they were full of it and you all confirmed it. Trouble is I am hearing the I told you song!
I will give him this one thanks again guys

StealthSpyder
07-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Some great info and insight in this thread.

Here's a question....my dealer offered me a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, transferrable if I sell early, dealer agnostic (good at any dealer) for right around 1k. It felt like a no-brainer and I purchased it. Would that be an actual good deal warranty, if there is such a thing?

ARtraveler
07-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Here's a question....my dealer offered me a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty, transferrable if I sell early, dealer agnostic (good at any dealer) for right around 1k. It felt like a no-brainer and I purchased it. Would that be an actual good deal warranty, if there is such a thing?

A pretty good warranty for 1K. One major repair could eat up your original cost for the package. Do you mind mentioning what warranty company?

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 08:40 PM
:agree: As long as it's good at any dealership...

ARCTIC
07-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks to Doc for the conversation ....you set my mind at ease
thanks for all the responses I am going to a different dealer sat and if they try the same &$@)I am going to tell them to stick it! My husband told be they were full of it and you all confirmed it. Trouble is I am hearing the I told you song!
I will give him this one thanks again guys

It would be damn funny if you printed this thread and showed it to the dealer :roflblack:

MikeinGA
07-02-2014, 09:31 PM

OIL CHANGE in the 2014 RS Operator's Guide on page 103 and the next few pages are instructions for the owner to change the oil and filters. I think it's a good for the dealer to do the first 600 mile maintenance. As for the extended warranty you can get that later, anytime before the 2 year warranty runs out. That gives you time to save up the money and call other dealers to get the best price and YES the extended warranty is worth it. I have a 2011 RS-S SE5 I see you live in Ga. so do I and if you want me to show you how to change oil send me a PM.. also BajaRon sells oil change kits at very good price. That's IMHO.

Mike

PW2013STL
07-02-2014, 11:36 PM

Sounds like the BEST warranty. 3 years with a $50 deductible per occurance. Factory is 2 years + the 3 BEST = 5 years.
If this is what you have I had purchased that last year for $699.00.

BajaRon
07-02-2014, 11:38 PM
I love turkey and stuffing. But this guy is shoveling something left behind by the bovine species....

StealthSpyder
07-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Sounds like the BEST warranty. 3 years with a $50 deductible per occurance. Factory is 2 years + the 3 BEST = 5 years.
If this is what you have I had purchased that last year for $699.00.

Sorry, forgot to mention it's a $25 deductible. I'll have to check if it's the BEST

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention it's a $25 deductible. I'll have to check if it's the BEST
.....Make sure you can use it at any Dealer !!!!!................Mikeguyver :thumbup:

Hecam17
07-03-2014, 07:21 AM
If you look at the CanAm website there is only one platinum rated dealership in Georgia. Drive to Cartersville, or deal with that BS every time you go to your dealer.
I live 1 mile from a dealer that I would not go back to to buy an accessory let alone a Spyder.

-My error a second dealership is now Platinum rated in the past 6 months.

Hawk
07-03-2014, 07:44 AM
http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/promotions/Countdowntosummer.html

They are currently offering 3 years on 2013 and 2014's for free (2 years standard plus one free year of BEST extended warranty). The rebate is just for 13's however. So if you wanted an extended warranty for say up to 5 years, you can purchase 2 more years of BEST warranty. I would call Pitbull or Burts Mega Mall as they offer the best prices on BEST warranties. It does not have to be purchased from the dealer you bought it from.

ARCTIC
07-03-2014, 07:45 AM
http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/promotions/Countdowntosummer.html

They are currently offering 3 years on 2013 and 2014's for free (2 years standard plus one free year of BEST extended warranty). The rebate is just for 13's however. So if you wanted an extended warranty for say up to 5 years, you can purchase 2 more years of BEST warranty. I would call Pitbull or Burts Mega Mall as they offer the best prices on BEST warranties. It does not have to be purchased from the dealer you bought it from.

I didn't read the fine print. I now see the BEST warranty applies to 2013 & 2014 models

Tango
07-03-2014, 10:05 AM
I thin he broke the BS bell! :gaah: Tom :trike:

SpyderGAAZ
07-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Well took your advice and ran as far away from that dealer as I could! Got a great deal on a 2013 STS at extreme propulsion in Carterville. I pick her up next Sat and I can' t wait. I am a bit nervous about the ride home ...about 100 miles...but I am going for it.
:2excited:

Pennyrick
07-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Well took your advice and ran as far away from that dealer as I could! Got a great deal on a 2013 STS at extreme propulsion in Carterville. I pick her up next Sat and I can' t wait. I am a bit nervous about the ride home ...about 100 miles...but I am going for it.

Good for you.

There has been some traffic on this site about Mountain Motorsports in Conyers as far as turnover the year and lack of interest in Spyder products. For this reason I sought out other dealers for some recent work on both mine and my wife's RT's.

However, we both have prepaid maintenance agreements with service intervals remaining so I decided to visit the more convenient Conyers location last week to make an appointment and see what's up with the new staffers.

I met with Missy Schmeder the new service manager and Kevin Calderhead their new Master Technician with accredited Can Am experience. Seems things are looking up there on the service front. Missy comes from Nashville where she worked several year at a dealership there and is very familiar with Spyders and the Rotax engines.

I made an appointment for later this month and will provide feedback on this site as I feel warranted.

Bob Denman
07-19-2014, 02:03 PM
:congrats: :2thumbs: Just take your time getting back home; don't push beyond whatever comfort level you establish, and relax... The fun is JUST beginning!! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-19-2014, 02:12 PM
:congrats: on your new purchase. Glad the site offered you some help with your questions.

Enjoy your ryde home and like Bob said, just take it easy and enjoy. I would also add, put the first 10 miles or so on the odo within close distance of the dealer. If you find a glitch, your close to help.

PrairieSpyder
07-19-2014, 02:23 PM

:congrats: Don't forget to post a pic!

Bob Denman
07-19-2014, 02:25 PM
:agree: 91719
As soon as is possible! :2thumbs: