PDA

View Full Version : Riding Naked!

GMAN9
07-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Okay....I confess...I didn't really ride the Spyder naked. But, I was in my truck the other day coming home and kept seeing everyone on their bikes with shorts and tee shirts on. Was thinking to myself, man that looks to be a lot cooler touring around town than wearing all the gear. Now before everyone berates me...I am a ATGATT rider. Always cover up from head to toe. But that evening around 7:45 when there was a shimmer of light out and the heat had diminshed into a nice cool evening. I pick a 35 mph route around my little town with just my shorts and tee shirt on...an of course my helmet (I have a modular, so I pushed it up to make a 3/4 helmet). Man what a difference, you could REALLY feel the wind and cool breeze flow right through you. Totally different experience than having all your gear on. While I understand and I'm sure some of you here will comment...you can never chose when and where you will have an accident....but sometime you have to take a chance in life, through a little caution to the wind and let it all hang out! I was back in all my gear going to work this morning...but I can't help to think about being a rebel for those 20 minutes! Peter Fonda who?

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 12:03 PM
It IS fun to peek over the fence; once in a while! :D
Last year I even gave going helmetless a try, while riding in Ohio; I didn't care much for it! :shocked:
I also prefer an ATGATT approach! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
07-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Fantasy is very nice to think about. I think all of us have fantasy but we live in a real world.:roflblack:

purplepig
07-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Just got back from a 2 wheeled trip through Vermont and New Hampshire. I am in the middle of the ATGATT fence. I will not ride without gloves and helmet, almost always wear boots and at least jeans and usually a motorcycle jacket. While at a beautiful overlook in the White mountains of New Hampshire, a man and woman pull up on their bike. He is wearing sandals and shorts, she is wearing tank top, short shorts and flip flops. Mind you this is in the middle of some of the twistiest up and down riding east of the Rockies. Just couldn't believe it. I try to look at it this way...motorcycle accident statistics stay about the same year after year, so when these idiots get hurt or even killed it makes my chances of survival better.

sddinnh
07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
I guess, but I have to admit to doing the same thing every once in a while. Somehow I don't feel as vulnerable on the Spyder as on the bike. I know that's an illusion, but if feels good to go rogue once in a while. Never in shorts however, Kevlar jeans, tee shirt, helmet, and gloves is a minimum for me.

ARtraveler
07-02-2014, 01:03 PM
It is fun driving without the gear. I rarely take the 2.5 block ryde to my mailbox, at the end of my deserted road. I just hop on :spyder2: and go.

My fear when going anywhere, is "will this be the time" I will need the gear? So--I stick with ATGATT. I have been down to Kevlar jeans most of the summer though. No chaps, leather riding pants, or textile riding pants.

When in Hawaii, the day we rented the :ani29: RS, I swear, we were the only persons on Maui, riding with a helmet, gloves, and boots. I am sure I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I'll bet that you had the locals doing their "bestest" imitations of Steve Martin, and Bill Murray... :roflblack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7Qz640OeM

DRTSB
07-02-2014, 01:37 PM
I am an angelic like rider, I never do anything wrong!

Dave ;)

CapNCrunch
07-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Okay....I confess...I didn't really ride the Spyder naked. But, I was in my truck the other day coming home and kept seeing everyone on their bikes with shorts and tee shirts on. Was thinking to myself, man that looks to be a lot cooler touring around town than wearing all the gear. Now before everyone berates me...I am a ATGATT rider. Always cover up from head to toe. But that evening around 7:45 when there was a shimmer of light out and the heat had diminshed into a nice cool evening. I pick a 35 mph route around my little town with just my shorts and tee shirt on...an of course my helmet (I have a modular, so I pushed it up to make a 3/4 helmet). Man what a difference, you could REALLY feel the wind and cool breeze flow right through you. Totally different experience than having all your gear on. While I understand and I'm sure some of you here will comment...you can never chose when and where you will have an accident....but sometime you have to take a chance in life, through a little caution to the wind and let it all hang out! I was back in all my gear going to work this morning...but I can't help to think about being a rebel for those 20 minutes! Peter Fonda who?

Like a lot of riders, I am particularly "allergic to the heat". I'm also an ATGATT guy. A couple years ago I found the correct combination of riding gear, and it works every time.
For all seasons I have found that wearing a combination of the following works best, and conquers any weather and temperatures : I always wear a mesh jacket (Tourmaster), mix and match both rain-proof and quilted jacket liners, and electric vest. If I mix and match those three items, I'm ready for just about any weather (but, always wear the jacket). I live in Montana where even summer mornings can be pretty nippy, and afternoons can be in the 90's, but no issues, and the advantage of always having the jacket armor in place. Ya' might want to give it a try.
Ride safe,
CapNCrunch

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I am an angelic like rider, I never do anything wrong!

Dave ;)
Well... you DO lie worse than a three-dollar rug! :D

HedonismBot
07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I was reading an article the other day about gear and road rash. Here's a quote from the article:

The general rule of thumb, given the average coefficient of friction for a road surface, is that you'll lose 1mm of flesh for every 1mph you're going over 30mph when you hit it. Extrapolate that to 55mph and tell me where on your body you can afford to lose an inch of flesh. Any faster and we're talking about wearing down into your bones.

That being said, we've gone out in the head in shorts and a t-**** in the neighborhood areas by us where it's 25mph or lower. We mainly wear all gear elsewhere for the extreme dislike of being hit by a rock or bug at 70mph in the arm or leg--that and crash protection.

PrairieSpyder
07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Do you all who wear jackets always wear the armor, too?

When I used my TourMaster Flex jacket, I took the armor out to make it more comfortable and lighter. At the OE I bought two jackets - one denim and one mesh. None of the Can-Am jackets come with armor and you have to buy it seperately.

I justify going without armor by thinking about the MSF course requirement - shoes that cover the ankles, long sleeves, long pants, helmet.

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 02:13 PM
The armor is left in all of my jackets... I'm too prone to "incidents"! :shocked:
Elbows, shoulders and backs... :thumbup:
Besides; it "Butches" me up a bit! :D

sddinnh
07-02-2014, 02:16 PM

When I used my TourMaster Flex jacket, I took the armor out to make it more comfortable and lighter. At the OE I bought two jackets - one denim and one mesh. None of the Can-Am jackets come with armor and you have to buy it seperately.

I justify going without armor by thinking about the MSF course requirement - shoes that cover the ankles, long sleeves, long pants, helmet.

I wear the armor in my mesh stuff because it wouldn't do you much good with out it. It's so light, it has very little protection on it's own. On other jackets, I'll sometimes take the back armor out, but always leave the shoulder and elbow armor in. Kevlar jeans, boots, helmet, and gloves finish it out. LD comfort short sleeve shirts under the mesh.

Chupaca
07-02-2014, 02:23 PM
started out riding that way but since I moved to the US I ryde with good protection. Now if I make a run without it it feels scary strange....:yikes:

Myron Ah
07-02-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm really bad. I sweat like a faucet was turned on in the winter. Not a lie. Blood pressure meds made it worse. I wear a helmet almost always. My flip face was hot and sweaty but I lived with it. I bought a half Helmet last year and was better but still sweat in warm weather. This year I got a new helmet to match the new Spyder. It has a removable face and is vented better. Very pleased. Made by Vega. Summer is ruff so I'm jeans and t-shirt. Maybe my leather vest. I do wear ankle high leather shoes mostly but never sandals or flip flops. I am going to look into Kevlar jeans. Anyone out there ever owned /worn leather overalls? I've seen adds and they are pricey. I can say I'll never ride naked on purpose; hopefully not even in my dreams.

sypderrobinson134
07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
So id like to weigh in on this and feel I'm in thr minority here. My wife and I had this argument when I first bought my spyder that I always had to have jeans or long pants of some kind on. I did this for about three weeks Til summer really sat in and I realized there was no way, maybe it's cause I'm young. (23) or maybe it's cause I've akready been close to death a few times in my life but at the end of the day I want to be comfortable so most of the time, unless I'm on the way to work I ride shorts and a tee shirt with a full face helmet. Over protection All the time is kinda over kill to me. I'd prefer just to be comfortable as I ride on my baby lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MouthPiece
07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
As Yazz said: "Dress for the slide; NOT for the ride!" :2thumbs:

Do you really slide on a spyder???

​Chris

bmccaffrey
07-02-2014, 04:25 PM
I'll leave my opinion out. But statistics say when you climb aboard your risk increase 35% of being in an accident. Being the nature of the ride. Good prayer also helps:pray:

DLewis
07-02-2014, 04:26 PM

​Chris
The "slide" is referring to hitting the pavement / asphalt / road surface. NOT a pretty site, or anything you'd want to do.

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Not ON one...
But come off of it, and you'll slide, tumble, twist, tear, and collide with the darndest of things! :D

AlEverett
07-02-2014, 05:15 PM
I wish this thread was named differently. Now I feel compelled to ride tonight with just my helmet and boots. Beware Chelan of a Yellow Sypder with a large naked man with his boots and helmet on tonight.:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 05:20 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_208.gif :2thumbs:
But, where will you carry the bail money? :shocked:

PrairieSpyder
07-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I wish this thread was named differently. Now I feel compelled to ride tonight with just my helmet and boots. Beware Chelan of a Yellow Sypder with a large naked man with his boots and helmet on tonight.:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Maybe they don't make armor for *all* the important parts.

bmccaffrey
07-02-2014, 05:58 PM
[QUyourself=AlEverett;835485]I wish this thread was named differently. Now I feel compelled to ride tonight with just my helmet and boots. Beware Chelan of a Yellow Sypder with a large naked man with his boots and helmet on tonight.:yes::yes::yes::yes:[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor and put a jockstrap or a cup on. Protect the important stuff:roflblack::roflblack:

robmorg
07-02-2014, 06:08 PM
When I took the advanced MSF course on my motorcycle, that is exactly what they recommended. In fact, you had to have all of those things or you could not participate in the "skills" section of the course. That being said, they were always quick to point out that that the only legal requirement in Pennsylvania was for eye protection. So, according to the MSF, in Pennsylvania it is indeed legal to ride naked except for goggles or glasses. :yikes:

MouthPiece
07-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I didn't slide all that much when the lady blew through a redlight and T-boned my spyder. I went up in the air and came straight down.

Chris

Dan McNally
07-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I ride in shorts, quite often in the heat . . . they are under my mesh pants! Actually, it is cooler to do that than wearing jeans.

ARtraveler
07-02-2014, 07:22 PM

I remove most of the armor that comes in jackets or pants. I just don't want to look like the Michelin Man when I ryde.

Usually, the elbow pads are left in. I remove the shoulder and knee armor. Because I am short, my knees don't always jibe with the armor placement.

billrob71
07-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Summer time is tough but always long pants, riding boots and full face helmet , but usually just a t shirt and gloves.

Never without a helmet made the promise to the wife.:shemademe_smilie:

NetJunkie
07-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Good mesh jacket (I wear Revit Tornado) and a good wicking shirt is like just waring a regular t-shirt. Air just goes right through them. I'm ATGATT. Was coming back in my neighborhood the other night and came around a turn to find a car coming at me in my lane... Was just about to ditch the Spyder when they jerked back in their own lane. No thanks. Take all the help I can get.

robmorg
07-02-2014, 11:40 PM
I also prefer an ATGATT approach! :thumbup:

ATGATT :hun:

OK, I'm still trying to figure out some of the acronyms used around here, so I hope you guys will be patient while I figure this one out....

...putting it into context, best I can come up with is... "All those God-awful tortuous togs". Am I close? http://www.robmorgan.net/img-sm/free-confused-smileys-718.gif

Bob Denman
07-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Oh! Sorry! :opps:

All
The
Gear
All
The
Time

Hawk
07-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Has anyone came off a sypder without being hit or running off the road? If that happens, road rash is not really the main concern. I think protective layers for road rash are more for 2 wheels where you could lay the bike down and skid down the asphalt. Jacket and pants are not going to do much for an impact. Only if you have a true back protector (not the foam in most jackets) is probably the only thing that might help, besides a helmet of course. Now with all that said, it will help some, just not much. Better to be safe than sorry. I almost always wear jeans and a jacket. Mostly to keep me from getting a sunburn. I always wear a helmet.

daveinva
07-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Edit: Hawk beat me to many of my points below, grrr!

------
I suffer from a horribly inconvenient mix of OCD and guilt. :banghead: So, even when I don't want to ride ATGATT, I usually end up grudgingly doing so. All it takes is one thought walking out of the house to spur me back in to make sure I wear everything.

That said, my thoughts:

1. Mesh is priceless in the summer, but be aware that above a certain temperature (north of 90) mesh is self-defeating.

Meaning, if you're out riding for any serious length of time, the air moving through your mesh will wick away the sweat faster than you can produce it-- you'll lose the cooling effect of sweating, and before you know it, you're suffering from hyperthermia. That's why it's recommended when you're riding in REALLY hot weather, wear an enclosed jacket with the vents open and a cooling vest/wet shirt underneath. It may sound brutal to trade in the mesh for an enclosed jacket, but trust from both science and experience, you WILL be cooler for it.

2. While I'm normally a strong proponent of ATGATT on two-wheels for obvious reasons, on the Spyder I guess I'm more lenient. Not for myself-- again, OCD & guilt complex!-- but whereas I'll look at the t-shirt and shorts rider on a bike and think "Squids and Pirates," I don't have that reaction to Spyder riders.

I think this is largely because the risk curve is different on the Spyder. On a bike, you're always at risk of dropping it, even at slow speeds (*especially* so, given that you ride slow speeds more often than fast ones), thus it makes great sense to have gear head-to-toe.

On the Spyder, you can ride over gravel, potholes, edge traps, oil patches etc. all day long and you're not dropping it. You're also never putting your feet down. Those minor get-offs you risk on a bike you largely don't risk on a Spyder.

The problem on the Spyder, however, is that you still risk the MAJOR get-offs. At that point, what good does gear do for you? Still a great deal, IMO-- road rash is road rash, you NEVER want it-- but in the risk calculus, your odds of coming off a Spyder are far less than coming off a bike.

3. I don't know how anyone rides a Spyder in shorts. Even with all my Spyderpops gear on my RS, the thing still wants to cook my shins. Tall boots combined with pants-- whether my kevlar-lined cargo pants, my mesh, or my solid textile overpants-- always keeps me comfortable against the Spyder's natural heat.

4. I always leave the armor in-- and, in fact, upgrade the backpads (most jacket manufacturers ship jokes for back armor-- I'm looking at you, FirstGear). It makes me look like I work out. :joke:

sddinnh
07-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Has anyone came off a sypder without being hit or running off the road? If that happens, road rash is not really the main concern. I think protective layers for road rash are more for 2 wheels where you could lay the bike down and skid down the asphalt. Jacket and pants are not going to do much for an impact.

I've wondered about that myself. I'm guessing we don't have many statistics and that a lot of us dress to protect against road rash out of a long habit of dressing for two wheels.

PrairieSpyder
07-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Hawk and DaveinVA make good points. I've used them to justify going around town on my Spyder in shorts a few times. But being totally honest, I know I should wear the gear all the time. When curious people ask about riding a Spyder, compared to a 2-wheeler, I often joke that I might fall off, but I can't fall over. Even though the Spyder is more stable in that regard, we still are at the mercy of the other vehicles on the road.

Spyders are not seen any better than any other motorcycle. I don't know the stats, but I am guessing that street-bike accidents caused by encounters with cagers are more common than any other. So road rash is still a distinct possibility, and I know I should dress accordingly.

Bob Denman
07-03-2014, 08:49 AM
:agree: :2thumbs:

robmorg
07-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Oh! Sorry! :opps:

All The Gear All The Time
Ah! Well, guess I was in the ball park then. ;) You gotta cut me some slack. I never rode a dirt bike or a crotch rocket. I've always ridden an assortment of of Japanese cruisers and touring bikes before the Spyder. (I preferred radiators and drive shafts. That made me a "poser" to all my Hog friends, but I don't own a dew rag, a leather vest, or a sleeveless T-shirt that says, "If you can read this, the bitch fell off." :sour: )

As for riding gear, I guess, you'd say I'm sort of a "MSFFS kind of guy". (MSF Fashion Statement) I wear the same outfit on my Spyder (all year) that I wore on my other bikes... Long pants (mostly jeans), long sleeve shirt, gloves, and a DOT half-helmet with a tinted eye shield that slides up into the shell for night. (Love night riding.) I carry a sweatshirt for when it gets cool, and a waterproof windbreaker for when it rains.

Like you, I've tried riding a few times without the helmet and gloves, but it felt weird, and I didn't enjoy it much.

Bob Denman
07-03-2014, 09:14 AM
No slack is needed... :D
We all come from varying backgrounds and experience levels. :2thumbs:
Everybody just needs enough space; to find what works best for them!

robmorg
07-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Has anyone came off a sypder without being hit or running off the road? If that happens, road rash is not really the main concern. I think protective layers for road rash are more for 2 wheels where you could lay the bike down and skid down the asphalt. Jacket and pants are not going to do much for an impact. Only if you have a true back protector (not the foam in most jackets) is probably the only thing that might help, besides a helmet of course. Now with all that said, it will help some, just not much. Better to be safe than sorry. I almost always wear jeans and a jacket. Mostly to keep me from getting a sunburn. I always wear a helmet.I think that makes a lot of sense! :thumbup: I also agree with what Dave just said about the risk factor. (And why he doesn't wear shorts on a Spyder :sour: )

Bob Denman
07-03-2014, 09:24 AM
If you "bounce" on the road at ANY speed, while not geared-up; you'll have road rash... :shocked:
Pavement has a funny way of chewing through layers of cotton as if it wasn't even there. :yikes:
So slide, bounce or whatever; the choice will be yours! :thumbup:

StealthSpyder
07-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Pretty wide array of perspectives on this thread! Good discussion so far and it is interesting to see just how many people wear so much clothes when they take the spyder out!

So id like to weigh in on this and feel I'm in thr minority here. My wife and I had this argument when I first bought my spyder that I always had to have jeans or long pants of some kind on. I did this for about three weeks Til summer really sat in and I realized there was no way, maybe it's cause I'm young. (23) or maybe it's cause I've akready been close to death a few times in my life but at the end of the day I want to be comfortable so most of the time, unless I'm on the way to work I ride shorts and a tee shirt with a full face helmet. Over protection All the time is kinda over kill to me. I'd prefer just to be comfortable as I ride on my baby lol

I'm with you brotha. I wear shorts, teeshirt, sneakers, and helmet when I ryde. Maybe it's because I live in FL and it's hot everyday. Maybe it's because I'm also young (31). Maybe it's because I have never owned a 2 wheeler. Maybe it's because I have ridden quads for a decade and have never worn protective gear...always just gear to combat the temperature and weather. Maybe it is because of the fundamental reason that I bought the Spyder...stability. I feel very safe and very comfortable on the Spyder. When I take it to work (3 miles thru 35mph zones), I don't even wear my helmet.

I would never want to be the the recipient of the "I told you so" award, so I will always ryde to the safest and smartest of my abilities. If I catch a bad beat, so be it. But you are unlikely to find me on my spyder with pants, jeans, long sleeves, jackets, Kevlar, armor, boots, leather, mesh suits, gloves, or any other kind of gear unless it is specifically to combat colder temps in winter down here in FL or if it's going to rain.

I guess I am taboo! :yikes:

Bob Denman
07-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Nahhh... You're good! :thumbup: 90968

Tango
07-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Guy on the Gold Wing board just posted he had gone down. Half helmet, no gloves, t-shirt, sneakers. :yikes: He had tremendous road rash. His hand had ground down to the bone. Helmet had deep gash. Bad internal bruising. I also saw a pic of someone that had been wearing flip flops when he went down. His foot looked like chopped meat. Bones exposed. Being a retired LEO I have seen many bike injuries. Including two decapitated heads. No helmets. So yes, proper gear will work to your advantage. If you wear it! :thumbup: Tom :trike:

sddinnh
07-03-2014, 10:05 AM
In the end, it comes down to how you evaluate the risk of riding the Spyder. I do think it's somewhat less than riding a 2 wheel motorcycle so wear whatever it takes to make YOU feel comfortable and safe. No one else is going to loose any skin except you if you crash, so we really have no say in how you dress. The only ones who do are the state (for mandatory items) and you.

NetJunkie
07-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Love it. When gear comes up it's "up to your level of comfort and safety". When we talk about spirited riding in the RS/GS forum the RT owners feel the need to come in and preach on every thread. :banghead:

Bob Denman
07-03-2014, 10:13 AM
:agree: We shouldn't be telling how to write the check; that only YOU might have to cash... :thumbup:

purplepig
07-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Guy on the Gold Wing board just posted he had gone down. Half helmet, no gloves, t-shirt, sneakers. :yikes: He had tremendous road rash. His hand had ground down to the bone. Helmet had deep gash. Bad internal bruising. I also saw a pic of someone that had been wearing flip flops when he went down. His foot looked like chopped meat. Bones exposed. Being a retired LEO I have seen many bike injuries. Including two decapitated heads. No helmets. So yes, proper gear will work to your advantage. If you wear it! :thumbup: Tom :trike:

This brings up a good point. I think most people will put their arms and hands out in the unlikely event of a crash or fall. There may be those that trained as a stunt man or woman and know how to fall correctly, but for most I think it is going to be hands first. When I talk to new motorcyclists I really stress helmet and gloves. The rest is important but without these two its gonna really hurt.

cptjam
07-03-2014, 12:01 PM
ATGATT!
Remember, You don't get to pick the day you crash!
Being a little uncomfortable or sweating beats a lifetime of scarring or worse!
As an MSF instructor, we do train in boots, long pants, long sleeves, gloves and a helmet; we also do not go faster than 18 mph! There are no cars on our range, and no hazards.

Please be safe out there!

MouthPiece
07-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Pretty wide array of perspectives on this thread! Good discussion so far and it is interesting to see just how many people wear so much clothes when they take the spyder out!

I'm with you brotha. I wear shorts, teeshirt, sneakers, and helmet when I ryde. Maybe it's because I live in FL and it's hot everyday. Maybe it's because I'm also young (31). Maybe it's because I have never owned a 2 wheeler. Maybe it's because I have ridden quads for a decade and have never worn protective gear...always just gear to combat the temperature and weather. Maybe it is because of the fundamental reason that I bought the Spyder...stability. I feel very safe and very comfortable on the Spyder. When I take it to work (3 miles thru 35mph zones), I don't even wear my helmet.

I would never want to be the the recipient of the "I told you so" award, so I will always ryde to the safest and smartest of my abilities. If I catch a bad beat, so be it. But you are unlikely to find me on my spyder with pants, jeans, long sleeves, jackets, Kevlar, armor, boots, leather, mesh suits, gloves, or any other kind of gear unless it is specifically to combat colder temps in winter down here in FL or if it's going to rain.

No you aren't. I'm right there with ya.

​Chris

hulksdaddy
07-03-2014, 04:43 PM

No you aren't. I'm right there with ya.

​Chris

I'm there as well, and I ain't that young(46).

However, I'm not a speed demon on it, and I am hyper-aware of my surroundings, in my car, and especially the Spyder.

I know I'm taking a risk, but I'm comfortable with it. To each his own. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm there as well, and I ain't that young(46).

Yes you are!! :D :clap:

hulksdaddy
07-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Yes you are!! :D :clap:

:cheers:

Bazeel
07-03-2014, 05:38 PM
I admit, in the summer months I only tote Boots, pants (usually ones I deployed in, since I like the style), t-shirt, leather vest, and helm. When the temp gets above 95 (and road temp way higher) I find it very difficult to be pursuaded to put on more, unless traveling on the expressway. My spyder is my only mode of transportation (aside from the wife's car, which I refuse to drive due to some anxiety issues stemming from my deployments and cars), so I take my risks at what I deem to be acceptable levels.

If I roll the dice and it comes up poorly, I have no one to blame but myself, and I knew the dangers of the mission before I accepted them.

Ride on!

HDRC (Harley Dog Ridin' Crew)

Oldmanzues
07-03-2014, 07:44 PM
I am a "all the gear guy, expect maybe"Armor" pants on the Spyder, but long pants. Have been for years. To each his or her own, but I remember a saying from a long time ago.
If the first time time you need safety gear and you do not have it, you may never need anything again.
Just mysmall bit to add to this
Oldmanzues

asp125
07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Ride naked? Not me.. didn't like it.. kept sticking to the vinyl saddle on hot days. I prefer pants. ;)

wa3wheels
07-04-2014, 11:20 PM
We all ride our own horse as a old cowboy once said !!!

NZSpyderRyder
07-05-2014, 12:45 AM
I ride a lot in shorts and a t shirt, always wear a helmet tho.
Just don't feel vulnerable on the spyder and the roads in New Zealand can be very quiet.

OJ UK
07-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Agreed! New Zealand roads are fantastic and a motorcyclist's dream!
And they are quiet in the extreme.....occasionally out in the country you may see another vehicle.
It can, though, lead to a false sense of security, come around a bend fast and this is what you might come across:
Still better to land on them than the tarmac!

Bob Denman
07-05-2014, 07:21 AM
They look like a pretty soft place to land! :D
Do they bite?? :shocked:

OJ UK
07-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Do they bite?? :shocked:

I see you have a working knowledge of sheep there, Bob!!;)

No, they don't bite....The rams (boy sheep) can butt and it can be a nuisance
but not very dangerous!

Bob Denman
07-05-2014, 08:52 AM
:opps: I'm not admitting to anything... :opps:
But it DOES remind me of several jokes that would get me "parked" for a while! :roflblack:

MouthPiece
07-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Now ask the question how many wear shorts "period" when they leave their home?

Chris

condorflysu
07-05-2014, 02:40 PM
This fellow rides with only a helmet and vest for the yearly Friday the 13th events. The Naked Cowboy Rider he is called :yikes:
He's a regular, the attached video is mostly PG rated ;) I caught is fast clip by accident.. no voyeur here:shocked:

http://youtu.be/Fv4qqaMglWM

Deanna777
07-05-2014, 04:09 PM
ATGATT!
Remember, You don't get to pick the day you crash!
Being a little uncomfortable or sweating beats a lifetime of scarring or worse!
As an MSF instructor, we do train in boots, long pants, long sleeves, gloves and a helmet; we also do not go faster than 18 mph! There are no cars on our range, and no hazards.

Please be safe out there!:agree: Deanna777:ohyea:

Deanna777
07-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I took the MSF coarse they recommended: helmet, Full leather gloves,( not figureless) Leather jacket, long Sleeve shirt, Long pants( jeans) Boots ,Goggles. Also, if you did not have any of the above you could not take the ( riding part of the coarse) The coarse was 3 days. Bring water/ lunch.
The day I took my MSF coarse it was raining lightly, they still had the coarse. ( if their was any lighting , or thunder they would have cancelled the class.)

Deanna777:ohyea:

Bob Denman
07-05-2014, 04:41 PM
The Missus and I decided to sneak out, for a short hop today... about 70 miles! :thumbup:
As I was backing the bike out of the garage; she asked me if I was wearing my jacket...(Mid-Seventies; and PERFECT! :D)
After my :shocked: settled in; she went and got hers as well! :thumbup: