PDA

View Full Version : LASER ALIGNMENT

CaptainBobby
07-01-2014, 07:26 PM
What does it really do and is it worth it?

900Dave
07-01-2014, 08:12 PM
It will make it track and corner a lot better IF yours is out of alignment. Some are waaay out, some not so much. My 13 ST was a little bit out and I noticed an improvement in handling, but not a great improvement. They only had to make minor adjustments on mine to make it right. Of course you will not know if yours is out until you have the alignment done.

Riker
07-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I had mine done about 3 weeks ago. The way the tech explained it to me ( and others will correct/adjust this, lol ). With the standard alignment, when the rider is on the bike, the front tires will have a slight toe out ( \ / ), which he said think of it as plowing effect. It is normal and expected. With the laser alignment, when the rider is on the bike, it straightens out the front wheels, which I can really notice when slowing down and it seems to free wheel smoother. To me it tracks a little better also at speed.... Again, others should!!, lol chime in and explain in a more technical way..:D... the tech dumbed it down for me, so I know he knows, lol... edit- also, the steering is a little more responsive/sensitive.

Gray Ghost
07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
The ROLO alignment aligns your front wheels to the reader wheel. The original Can Am alignment aligned the front wheels to the frame. Your rear wheel has adjusters to get your belt to the proper tension and positioning, and it is likely that when your Spyder is delivered to you the reader wheel will not be perfectly lined up with the frame. Assume, for example, that the left edge of the reader wheel is slightly forward of the right side. Instead of the forward movement of the rear wheel pushing towards 12 o'clock, it is now pushing towards 2 o'clock. The front wheels think that straight should point to 12 o'clock, so you are going to continually fight the steering. And that doesn't even consider the problem when both front wheels are in a toe out condition.
I am one of the independent dealers, so I am biased about whether or not it is worth it, but after some of the bykes I have seen I would be running to get it done even if I wasn't a dealer.
To find a dealer you can go to www.SpyderComfort.com/dealers. You can also look on the first page of the forum and find links to those dealers who are also supporters of the forum should you wish to support those who are also supporting your access to this kind of information.

Major spyder
07-01-2014, 09:03 PM
I've spoke to several who do the alignments...NOT 1 Spyder has ever been in alignment from the factory......my tires on my '13 were near bald on the inside in 8 k miles.....:banghead:

Gray Ghost
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I just noticed that auto correct struck on my post, what is called reader should be rear.

07-01-2014, 09:36 PM
I bought a new 2014 RT and after reading on this site I figured out there are 3 things I need to do. Add a Custom Dynamics rear upper running/tail/turn signal light for safety, which is done. Add Rons sway bar which I did and it made a very good difference in cornering and some general handling. Get it laser alignment done which I did and it made a smoother handling Spyder. I would strongly recommend all three as I am very happy with the results.
I'm finding out the first 2014's are more apt to be out of alignment that were shipped to the south and the newer 2014 releases are much better. I think BRP made some changes on their assy line and are now doing a better job on alignment, but not perfect as mine took minor adjustments but enough to make a difference in the handling. Mine was one of the later 2014's released.

SpyderAnn01
07-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I bought a new 2014 RT and after reading on this site I figured out there are 3 things I need to do. Add a Custom Dynamics rear upper running/tail/turn signal light for safety, which is done. Add Rons sway bar which I did and it made a very good difference in cornering and some general handling. Get it laser alignment done which I did and it made a smoother handling Spyder. I would strongly recommend all three as I am very happy with the results.
I'm finding out the first 2014's are more apt to be out of alignment that were shipped to the south and the newer 2014 releases are much better. I think BRP made some changes on their assy line and are now doing a better job on alignment, but not perfect as mine took minor adjustments but enough to make a difference in the handling. Mine was one of the later 2014's released.

You hit the top 3 things on my must do list for every Spyder. As for the timing of the 2014s we have still not seen one Spyder of any year that has been in alignment from the factory.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-01-2014, 10:50 PM
What does it really do and is it worth it?
I say YES:yes::yes:

Read my comments about it here. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68270-I-ve-been-Squared-Away!-Front-wheel-alignment-done-right!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
THIS HAS ONLY BEEN MENTIONED ONCE .......Tire wear.......the Lazer alignment could actually double / triple the life of your front tires........depending on how out of alignment it is..........JMHO.....Mikeguyver :thumbup:

scarecrow
07-02-2014, 06:43 AM
To answer the question. YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!

Larry rt
07-02-2014, 06:47 AM
I had mine done ,along with 9 other riders . Three did not need alignment . My front tires were waring on the outside .from a trip out west .
Took a similar trip after alignment , no uneven ware on front tires . Tech also told me it also improves life of rear tire.

Mcubed45
07-02-2014, 07:47 AM
What they charge? My dealer is listed as doing robo aligns. I'm thinking of I having it done at the 600 mi check.

spyderbirds
07-02-2014, 06:22 PM
To answer the question. YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!

I am assuming that is a three thumbs up after a couple of weeks test riding on your aligned RT?

Topshotta
07-02-2014, 07:18 PM
The ROLO alignment aligns your front wheels to the reader wheel. The original Can Am alignment aligned the front wheels to the frame. Your rear wheel has adjusters to get your belt to the proper tension and positioning, and it is likely that when your Spyder is delivered to you the reader wheel will not be perfectly lined up with the frame. Assume, for example, that the left edge of the reader wheel is slightly forward of the right side. Instead of the forward movement of the rear wheel pushing towards 12 o'clock, it is now pushing towards 2 o'clock. The front wheels think that straight should point to 12 o'clock, so you are going to continually fight the steering. And that doesn't even consider the problem when both front wheels are in a toe out condition.
I am one of the independent dealers, so I am biased about whether or not it is worth it, but after some of the bykes I have seen I would be running to get it done even if I wasn't a dealer.
To find a dealer you can go to www.SpyderComfort.com/dealers (http://www.SpyderComfort.com/dealers). You can also look on the first page of the forum and find links to those dealers who are also supporters of the forum should you wish to support those who are also supporting your access to this kind of information.

Cliff,
are you close to VA yet? Hurry up! I need my alignment.

ride safe, see you when you get here.

Gray Ghost
07-02-2014, 08:02 PM
What they charge? My dealer is listed as doing robo aligns. I'm thinking of I having it done at the 600 mi check.

You will have to ask your dealer.

Gray Ghost
07-02-2014, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=Topshotta;835543]Cliff,
are you close to VA yet? Hurry up! I need my alignment.

ride safe, see you when you get here.[/QUOTE}

We are currently on track, I forget which week we were going to be in VA but it should be about what I originally told you. We will update you as we get closer.