PDA

View Full Version : low beam headlights are terrible

steven888
09-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Anyone have a problem with headlights? I can not get an even line from the low beams. Hi beams are fine. It seems to be the optical lens. I had it changed under warranty and still not right. :chat:

Star Cruiser
09-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I noticed that too. The LEFT headlamp seems to show a triangle 5 meters (15 feet) ahead of me. Te Right side looks OK. I was going to see about having them adjusted when I bring it in for the 1000km Service

NancysToy
09-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Adjust them and you should be OK. I found that adjusting them closer to the garage door than the distance recommended in the book, helped get them even. From there on it was a matter of testing at the recommended (30 ft?) distance, then trying it on the road. Eventually they were fine, with a little fussing. The projector lenses cast an odd pattern, and the shutters make it crazier still. In the end, they work well, however, if you play with them a bit. BTW, my vertical alignment was way off, but the horizontal was quite good.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
09-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Even with proper alignment, unless you have smooth roads (not common here in Michigan), the beams still bounce around. While a single motorcycle headlight will jump up and down with bumps in the road, the two front wheels on the Spyder also create an unusual flickering effect as the independent front wheels rock from side to side on uneven roads. Have someone follow you on the Spyder while in a car and you will see the dancing beams.

boogllasti
09-20-2008, 12:43 AM
If you look in the service manual, you'll see that the right headlamp throws a longer beam than the left headlamp (to minimize glare to oncoming drivers), typical of most current production vehicles. Adjustment procedures are there also, if you think they are misaligned...

Exactly. If you look at the beam pattern, the righthand light will shine a bit longer and higher as it goes to the right. This is perfectly normal.

I've found these lights to be quite good overall.

jimcrom
09-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I have tried to lower them since everyone keeps flashing me thinking I have my high beams on. Took it in to the dealer and they are still high. Even with high beams I am spotlighting owls in trees. I looked in the manual and it says that adjustment screw is under the light with a phillips screw driver. I tried to loosen it but I can't figure it out. It seems like it is tight if you turn it to the left or right and it is lose in the center, but you can't make any adjustment to the bulb.

NancysToy
09-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I have tried to lower them since everyone keeps flashing me thinking I have my high beams on. Took it in to the dealer and they are still high. Even with high beams I am spotlighting owls in trees. I looked in the manual and it says that adjustment screw is under the light with a phillips screw driver. I tried to loosen it but I can't figure it out. It seems like it is tight if you turn it to the left or right and it is lose in the center, but you can't make any adjustment to the bulb.
There will be resistance on the screw. It does not tighten or loosen, just moves the headlight assembly up or down as you go. Takes a lot of turns to get it right. Pull up close to a garage door, or something, stand to one side, and turn it a couple of turns while watching the light pattern. It should move up or down. Go the correct direction until you have it where you want it. If the screw won't turn, or comes loose, there is a serious problem with the assembly, and a dealer should rectify it.
-Scotty

steven888
09-20-2008, 04:11 PM

If you turn the screw to the right it will go up and tun the screw to the left it eill go downward. It takes alot of turn to get the beam to move. Try it in the dark with hige beams on at about 30 feet from a wall surface.

steven888
09-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Even with proper alignment, unless you have smooth roads (not common here in Michigan), the beams still bounce around. While a single motorcycle headlight will jump up and down with bumps in the road, the two front wheels on the Spyder also create an unusual flickering effect as the independent front wheels rock from side to side on uneven roads. Have someone follow you on the Spyder while in a car and you will see the dancing beams.

i adjusted the front suspension because it was way to soft and now the headlights no loger bounce up and down. Try it I think you will agree.

steven888
09-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I noticed that too. The LEFT headlamp seems to show a triangle 5 meters (15 feet) ahead of me. Te Right side looks OK. I was going to see about having them adjusted when I bring it in for the 1000km Service

I did not know that the lights were that and it just seemed so off to me. LIke I said I had the dealer completely remove and replace the complete light fixture under warranty and still have that funky light image on low beam. Good luck