PDA

View Full Version : Do's and Do Not's

easysuper
07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Do not ride on gravel , unless you have taken old Hwy. 14 out of Gillette WY. to avoid the super slab and 60 miles in, you run onto road construction that combined with Thunder Storms have left nothing but 2 miles of gravel and mud , I had the old girl sideways in the middle twice and I'm creeping along at 5 mph . I thought we were having trouble till we passed about 30 Harley riders that had things worse . Once we crawled out of the mess and hit the next good thunder storm we were washed off and heading to Sheridan ! I guess that's why we call them adventures !

SpyderAnn01
07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
You don't usually remember much about the trips that are all sunshine and smooth highways. It is the potholes and bad weather that make for the best memories. I bet there were a few of those Harley riders that will be looking into Spyders after their adventure.

ARtraveler
07-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Gravel/sand and mud are the road conditions that bring fear to many of us. A lot of times, unavoidable. Much better to have three wheels than try to ride the "greased, muddy" road on two wheels.

I like SpyderAnn's attitude. We are just chalking up memories. :yes: I will try to remember that next time. :roflblack:

Have I ever told you about the 100 miles of frost heaves between Destruction Bay, Yukon and Tok, Alaska? :roflblack:

Chupaca
07-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Coming out at the other end with a fresh water wash had to be worth the fret and worry of getting to the end. Glad you and the machine made it through. Good luck and may the sun shine and the cool breezes follow you the rest of your travels...:2thumbs: :ohyea:

easysuper
07-01-2014, 02:23 PM
What impressed me the most was how she handled in the 3 inches of mud ! :yikes:

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Did you take a closer than normal look at the belt and pulleys? :dontknow:
(Just to make sure that you didn't pick up an unwanted hitchikers!)

ARtraveler
07-01-2014, 03:28 PM

A very good point. Mud will clog up the switch on the brake release making the :spyder2: think the brake is constantly on. Result is Limp Mode. I and two other travelers visiting Alaska experienced the very problem with driving the Alcan Highway.

Rocks picked up by the belt can break the belt. (2 for me so far). If you get deep enough in the ooze it will roll into the belt and then :yikes:

ARCTIC
07-01-2014, 03:46 PM
We almost took that very same route but a nasty thunderstorm approaching made us take the interstate instead to outrun it. Glad we did:2thumbs:

easysuper
07-01-2014, 03:51 PM

After we got on to dry land the FIRST thing I did was get dirtier by giving the girl a good once over the rest of the 600 mile weekend was easy after that mess .

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Glad for You..........................Mikeguyver :thumbup: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 05:49 PM
After we got on to dry land the FIRST thing I did was get dirtier by giving the girl a good once over the rest of the 600 mile weekend was easy after that mess .

90905 :clap: :2thumbs: :firstplace:

Illinois Boy
07-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Do not ride on gravel , unless you have taken old Hwy. 14 out of Gillette WY. to avoid the super slab and 60 miles in, you run onto road construction that combined with Thunder Storms have left nothing but 2 miles of gravel and mud , I had the old girl sideways in the middle twice and I'm creeping along at 5 mph . I thought we were having trouble till we passed about 30 Harley riders that had things worse . Once we crawled out of the mess and hit the next good thunder storm we were washed off and heading to Sheridan ! I guess that's why we call them adventures !

:roflblack: Not laughing so much at your misfortune, but rather that you ended-up in a situation you didn't intend on being in -- that and the fact you made it through safe. If you were injured or such, no laughing would occur.

As SpyderAnn said; it is those adventures you'll remember most. At least, that has been my experience. When people get together, they most often talk about those type of times, and it only makes sense. Your adrenaline (and pucker factor) is running at its peak. You are going to remember that no matter how long you live. ;)

Glad to hear you made it out safe and unharmed. :thumbup:

garb55
07-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Those are the adventures I like
Let mother nature and road workers throw it at me
I will pick it up and throw it back laughing:yes::yes::yes:
Don

easysuper
07-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Those are the adventures I like
Let mother nature and road workers throw it at me
I will pick it up and throw it back laughing:yes::yes::yes:
Don

That's just what we thought Don, If there was no adventure , it was just another ride , And that's what we got the Spyder for , is to have adventures , I can go on a trip in my truck anytime , but the Spyder can send us on adventures and now that she bought her own we can have twice the fun !9094790948

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 01:51 PM
The more stories you have; the more fun that you had! :D :2thumbs: