PDA

View Full Version : The Stupid "have you read?" thing

Denny B.
07-01-2014, 09:31 AM
There's that stupid "have you read the safety manual" question that you have to wait for before starting the engine. This is sooooooooooo dumb!

Has anyone heard of a bypass to this?

billybovine
07-01-2014, 09:44 AM
There's that stupid "have you read the safety manual" question that you have to wait for before starting the engine. This is sooooooooooo dumb!

No

StealthSpyder
07-01-2014, 09:50 AM
It's a combination of BRP legal/lawyer BS in addition to a time-taker-upper while the spyders computer boots up. I'm guessing you have an RT/RTS because they take longer to boot up. My RSS takes about 2 seconds. I never understood all the whining about this until I learned that other models besides my RSS take longer to boot up. I can see how that would be annoying. However, just turn the key and then put your helmet on. When done it'll be ready to go.

#streamline

billrob71
07-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Always been there right from the start I believe , probably always be there just like nanny watching over you while you ride.:chill:

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 10:21 AM
:shocked: And here I was gonna say to just NOT read it...

Will it keep a running total for ALL of the times that I've not pulled the card?? Even on BOTH RTs? :D

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 10:24 AM
...And I've died falling over it; on more than several occassions! :D

PrairieSpyder
07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
The microswitch located on the safety card pull out counts how many starts are done without pulling out the safety card.

After 73 starts without a pull out your Spyder goes into permanent Limp Home Mode.
The only way to reset it is to pull the safety card out 73 times to get the counter back to zero.

If you fail to reset it, the Spyder simply will shut down and require a trip to Valcourt, QC .

:joke:

And your Warrenty will be voided!!

Roger, you shouldn't say these things to the noobs. They might not realize you're joking!!

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Everything that Roger says :shocked:... comes with a, "Double your money back" guarantee! :D

Pirate looks at --
07-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Just get over. It and put your gloves on during that annoying 5 seconds of your life:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

retread
07-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Yep, turn the key on, put on your jacket, helmet, gloves, clean the bugs off the windshield, check the air in the tires, twiddle your thumbs for a minute or two, then start it up and RYDE!

john

Cruzr Joe
07-01-2014, 11:36 AM
The microswitch located on the safety card pull out counts how many starts are done without pulling out the safety card.

After 73 starts without a pull out your Spyder goes into permanent Limp Home Mode.
The only way to reset it is to pull the safety card out 73 times to get the counter back to zero.

If you fail to reset it, the Spyder simply will shut down and require a trip to Valcourt, QC .

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

Cruzr Joe

Chupaca
07-01-2014, 11:37 AM
but have suggested they put that on a timed or mileage auto cancel on it. Say after a 1,000 miles it shut off. You should have memorized the card by then...:roflblack:

Princeau99
07-01-2014, 11:54 AM
There is something I am supposed to read?

ARCTIC
07-01-2014, 01:03 PM
It's a combination of BRP legal/lawyer BS in addition to a time-taker-upper while the spyders computer boots up. I'm guessing you have an RT/RTS because they take longer to boot up. My RSS takes about 2 seconds. I never understood all the whining about this until I learned that other models besides my RSS take longer to boot up. I can see how that would be annoying. However, just turn the key and then put your helmet on. When done it'll be ready to go.

#streamline

The ST's are terrible at this also. Apparently BRP thinks that 5 minutes is the memory retention of the average spyder owner. If you shut it off, you can restart it within 5 minutes again without waiting after that you probably have forgotten what is disclosed on the safety card. Once a day would be acceptable. It's frustrating when you're riding with others and trying to get going to catch up or get out of the way. However, if I had to choose I would keep the wait to start over the high pitched whine that lasts for 45 minutes after you turn the bike off. nojoke

ARtraveler
07-01-2014, 02:02 PM
What's the safety card thing about? Where do I find it? :roflblack:

By the time I wait for akspyderlady to get her gear on, my Spyder has warmed up and is going into overheat mode. Am I missing something here? :roflblack:

vided
07-01-2014, 02:18 PM
What's the rush, turn the key, finish talking to the guy at the gas pump. Put your lid on and your ready to go.
rushing is not allowed, relax and enjoy the ride. :yes::thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I just taped "Miss July" over it :shocked:; I don't mind wasting the time now! :D

ARtraveler
07-01-2014, 02:32 PM
I just taped "Miss July" over it :shocked:; I don't mind wasting the time now! :D

They still have Playboy? :yikes:

NetJunkie
07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
If they'd let me disable VSS I'd be happy to take a multiple choice test every time I fired it up.

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 02:35 PM
They still have Playboy? :yikes:

I chose one from a particularly good year... :D

lou49
07-01-2014, 02:50 PM
You can take all the advice given here or you can just turn the key, press the mode switch twice and ride!:yes:

dadof4
07-01-2014, 03:31 PM
They still have Playboy? :yikes:. They still do...for some reason it no longer has the same effect!

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 05:04 PM
But; as long as you can remember how it USED to make you feel... :D :2thumbs:

cyclelover63
07-01-2014, 06:22 PM
You can take all the advice given here or you can just turn the key, press the mode switch twice and ride!:yes:

Ok..YOU GOT ME!..I TRIED PUSHING IT TWICE AND IT DIDN'T WORK!!:sour::opps::opps::opps::roflblack:

MikeinGA
07-01-2014, 06:35 PM

OR if you do not reset the counter the bike will burst into flames! That's IMHO. :joke:

Mike

Bob Ledford
07-01-2014, 06:37 PM
:shocked: And here I was gonna say to just NOT read it...

Will it keep a running total for ALL of the times that I've not pulled the card?? Even on BOTH RTs? :D

What safety card?

Dan_Ashley
07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I chose one from a particularly good year... :D1952?

oldblindjohn
07-01-2014, 07:53 PM
I chose one from a particularly good year... :D

1933?

rob-airborne
07-01-2014, 08:08 PM
There is nothing to bypass.
Just hit the Mode button when prompted. There is no 'switch' related to the manual being out and read.
I 'own' a leftover 2012 RT and drove it and its trailer from Jax Fl to Michigan last year/

garb55
07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
OR if you do not reset the counter the bike will burst into flames! That's IMHO. :joke:

Mike

Only the 2013 RTs :roflblack::yikes:

Ex-Rocket
07-01-2014, 09:16 PM
What bothers me the most when doing a ride with a bunch of folks on Harleys and after getting gas and everybody is cranking their bikes up and turning unto the highway, I'm still waiting for my computer to boot up and they leave me.:banghead: Thats why I ride at the back most times.

Lagaffe
07-01-2014, 10:12 PM
It' really a good thing on Police Spyders...

They never start in time to intercept you !

:yes:

billrob71
07-01-2014, 10:14 PM

:roflblack::crackpipe:

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 06:47 AM
It' really a good thing on Police Spyders...

They never start in time to intercept you !

:yes:

How well is it working for you; outrunning radio calls? :dontknow: :D

bullant12
07-02-2014, 07:09 AM
What bothers me the most when doing a ride with a bunch of folks on Harleys and after getting gas and everybody is cranking their bikes up and turning unto the highway, I'm still waiting for my computer to boot up and they leave me.:banghead: Thats why I ride at the back most times.

When I refill, I shut down the engine with the engine cutoff switch but leave the electricals on. I can't recall if on the 2012's is possible, but you still can turn the key to open the seat without having to turn off the unit. Once I fuel up, I click the engine cutoff back to on, start and go. No computer to boot.

ARCTIC
07-02-2014, 08:35 AM

That's exactly what I'm talking about. We stop in places where I feel it's necessary to remove the key from the bike and then everybody jumps on their rigs and take off. I'm sitting staring at my dash

ARCTIC
07-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Think of it as communing with your Spyder.
The Harley guys will respect the fact that you are becoming one with your machine.

or not.

They may just decide to leave you.

Well during our sessions I'm actively teaching it French:roflblack:

Usually something like cmmon you stupid f'n piece of s!

Pirate looks at --
07-02-2014, 08:51 AM
When I refill, I shut down the engine with the engine cutoff switch but leave the electricals on. I can't recall if on the 2012's is possible, but you still can turn the key to open the seat without having to turn off the unit. Once I fuel up, I click the engine cutoff back to on, start and go. No computer to boot.
Unless you are changing oil and rotating the tires, in the time it takes to refuel the Spyder, when you turn the key on you don't have to hit the mode button, you just hit start and fire it up and go. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-02-2014, 09:09 AM
As far as the group being ready to leave without you; what's wrong with paying attention to what's going on, and being just a little bit more ready? :dontknow:

Magdave
07-02-2014, 09:28 AM

:clap::roflblack::roflblack: And here I thought it was 69 times:roflblack:

Dan_Ashley
07-02-2014, 10:33 AM
....um....block the driveway....that's the ticket! Just block the driveway--get IN THEIR WAY AND STAY THERE. They will....um..."respect" you for your tenacity.

bullant12
07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Unless you are changing oil and rotating the tires, in the time it takes to refuel the Spyder, when you turn the key on you don't have to hit the mode button, you just hit start and fire it up and go. :roflblack:

....um....block the driveway....that's the ticket! Just block the driveway--get IN THEIR WAY AND STAY THERE. They will....um..."respect" you for your tenacity.

Well :cus: I like to listen to the radio while I fuel!
What driveway?!?!:rolleyes:

StanProff
07-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Oh Man! I've only got lamonts "don't mess with my spyder decal" on mine. I gotta change that. While your studying Miss July I bet it's timed out 5 times.

StanProff
07-24-2014, 01:43 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. We stop in places where I feel it's necessary to remove the key from the bike and then everybody jumps on their rigs and take off. I'm sitting staring at my dash

I have played with my Non Spyder bike riders and told them they could ride it if they can get it started. They can't. Simply walk up to the Spyder and turn the key before you get on. It's not that big a deal, sure it can be annoying at times if you forget to turn the key before getting on but how many seconds is the delay anyway? 10 or 20? I don't really know but I don't think it is over 30 at the most. Gonna go home and time it and see.

Dan McNally
07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Well, there's your problem! The HIIA (Harleys in Immediate Area) Detector :yikes: is causing the issue. Next time, get gas at a different gas station than they do! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
07-24-2014, 01:50 PM

There is a time limit thingy which seems to be built in. If you power off the :ani29: and then power on within less than 5 minutes or so, no mode press is required to re-start. Most gas stops I don't need the mode button to start--unless someone comes over and starts asking the usual questions about the :spyder2:. :yes::yes:

Dan McNally
07-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Oh Man! I've only got lamonts "don't mess with my spyder decal" on mine. I gotta change that. While your studying Miss July I bet it's timed out 5 times.
Stick with Lamont's decal . . . Bob has been known to still be sitting there, looking at Miss July :shocked: when everyone else has left, done the ride, and come back to fill up, again! nojoke He does use a lot less gas on those days, though! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
07-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Another point about the reason for the mode press requirement.

Consider the age demographics of our beloved machine. Many of us may be getting to the point where short term memory is affected. Just another BRP ploy to cover their uno what's so they don't get into trouble if one of us makes a boo boo. :roflblack::roflblack:

I know I had something else to say...

Bob Denman
07-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Stick with Lamont's decal . . . Bob has been known to still be sitting there, looking at Miss July :shocked: when everyone else has left, done the ride, and come back to fill up, again! nojoke He does use a lot less gas on those days, though! :roflblack:

:shocked: But she is...Spectacular! :D

Dan McNally
07-24-2014, 03:14 PM
:shocked: But she is...Spectacular! :D

Sorry it took so long to respond . . . I was looking at Miss December! :shocked:

Dan_Ashley
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Bob you have always lived on the edge.if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Dan McNally
07-24-2014, 04:03 PM
I just had to . . . went out to the garage and turned the key . . . the "press a button to prove to the lawyers we gave you a chance to read the Safety Card" advisory came on in . . . eight seconds. :dontknow: If your "friends" are driving off and leaving you over eight seconds, I'd suggest new friends . . . jus' sayin' . . . :lecturef_smilie: