PDA

View Full Version : Tripping Out and not on CO pot!!!

murphybrown
07-01-2014, 08:09 AM
Good Morning One and All..
Early morning coffee looking out my window at the different shades of green that cover the land. Dark greens, light greens, yellow greens, every shade and combination of green imaginable. Where am I? Steamboat Springs, CO. I will be here for a few days and will be checking out the sites, sounds and roads for this area of CO. Estes Park is a couple hours away so that is also on my "list".
The Owner's Event in Durango, CO. ended last Friday. Most of the goodbyes were said that evening. I took Saturday as a "down day" as well as packing up. Left about 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning...weather gorgeous, some great mountains ahead to ryde through. Get to Wolf Pass...spectacular...headed down the road I hear a "gunshot"..immediately my brain says NOT that was a tire. And that it was. Trailer tire #3. But this time I am prepared: spare tire, scissor jack and star wrench. BRING IT ON..so I partially unload trailer, get all required layed out and ready for tire change.
Oh oh where are the bushes and big rocks when needed. I got the TP but only wide open spaces!!! What's a gal to do? Trust me when I say TMIF.
Get the jobs done and the blown tire is totally bald. Check left tire and it is not long for this world either. So yep I decide there is an issue with my new trailer. This is the second set of tires: Set #1 lasted 3000 miles. This is set #2 (not OEMs) and only 1700 miles. Being Sunday know that tire shops won't be open.
As as I head down the road I'm thinking I missed my coffee...in about an hour, in the middle of nowhere, I see an old bldg. with homemade sign 'espresso'..why not..OMG her coffee was great, conversation better and the BEST was name of her business...MIRAGE...
First WalMart I come to in a couple hours does have one trailer tire...so I get that one mounted on the left. So now I'm running down the road with mismatched shoes...now that is just not how a lady likes to dress. Mismatched shoes are you kidding me?
I get a room in Colorado Springs so that come early a.m. I can find a matching pair. Call 2 WalMarts in that area...and no, absolutely NO, we don't have that tire unless you want to buy it mounted. Call the 3rd and final WalMart. And the man says...did you say you called the WalMarts closest to you and they don't have. Yep. He says that's nuts I manage all the tire depts and they have that tire. Please give me your phone # and a couple minutes. In less than 2 minutes I get a call from the fellow #1 I talked to and amazing. HE FOUND ONE!!!..So I immediately head there and get super service and now the trailer has a new matched pair of classic blacks.
Stopped for a Dutch Bros latte before heading to the top of Pike's Peak. Young man who waited on me was delightful. Found he was originally from Sweet Home, OR. This is his 3rd Dutch Bros location. He is touring the United States working for this company. Spends approximately 1 year in each location...getting to know the area and meeting his needs through a great job. I asked him if he has ever considered owning his own franchise. He shared how that "scared" him. Neat young man...he will go far on his smile alone!!!
Drove up Pike's Peak to the top...wow last time I was on Pike's Peak I was a little girl and the roads were gravel and I just knew my Dad was going to miss a corner and over the edge we would go!!! Now the roads are perfect, well maintained and easy to maneuver. Put another line thru a bucket list item. Studly performed as if there was no altitude change.
At the bottom when I was starting to hook trailer up..2 employees stopped and asked if they could help. I said I really don't need it but would love to let you help and then I can "GPS" your knowledge. So one hooked up the trailer and the skier lined me out on all the back roads to take to see the best sites. It was a wonderful GPS..I wrote down the roads and landmarks to look for.. only made one U turn...heckter the real GPS make more "recalculatings" than that and "she" would never have put me on those amazing roads with those breath taking views. Biggest issue...very few places to pull over and take the pic (oh yea I still haven't mastered my GoPro).
Got into my room at Steamboat Springs, CO about 7 p.m. after a stop at the grocery store for supplies. This is a WorldMark condo so priorities...LAUNDRY...then to the swimming pool.
Well, folks if you love mountains and rock formations and people. (and sometimes NO people...just the mountains and rock formations) then put Colorado on your bucket list.
i will spend a few days .. Also Estes Park region. Yep life is great..
Have a great day and enjoy what you see..
the happy traveler

PrairieSpyder
07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Another tire?????:gaah: How frustrating! I'm glad you had the spare and now you're back on the road again.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Colorado roads. I think I'm going again next year to do the northern part of the state.

Did you go over Loveland Pass?:hun:

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the report... :thumbup: GREAT descriptions! :2thumbs:

Chupaca
07-01-2014, 09:13 AM
You do have tales to tell. Glad these are good one with the odd twist in them. Really need to have the trailer's axel and suspension checked it may need a laser alignment..:roflblack:. Lived in Estes park for a summer and it was great. My grandmother lived in the Stanley Steamer hotel there and occationally played cards with Will Rogers, so I was told. Quite a switch seeings as the rest of the family lived in Peru. You will see some great sight there. Herds of buffalo like inthe days of yore. Enjoy your stay and hope all your wheels stay round and tracking straight...:2thumbs::ohyea:

cohoff
07-01-2014, 09:14 AM
good morning caryl, you are right where i am headed today. i'm taking a 2-3 day trip to steamboat springs and estes park. maybe i'll see you along the way.

Pirate looks at --
07-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Good Morning One and All..
Early morning coffee looking out my window at the different shades of green that cover the land. Dark greens, light greens, yellow greens, every shade and combination of green imaginable. Where am I? Steamboat Springs, CO. I will be here for a few days and will be checking out the sites, sounds and roads for this area of CO. Estes Park is a couple hours away so that is also on my "list".
The Owner's Event in Durango, CO. ended last Friday. Most of the goodbyes were said that evening. I took Saturday as a "down day" as well as packing up. Left about 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning...weather gorgeous, some great mountains ahead to ryde through. Get to Wolf Pass...spectacular...headed down the road I hear a "gunshot"..immediately my brain says NOT that was a tire. And that it was. Trailer tire #3. But this time I am prepared: spare tire, scissor jack and star wrench. BRING IT ON..so I partially unload trailer, get all required layed out and ready for tire change.
Oh oh where are the bushes and big rocks when needed. I got the TP but only wide open spaces!!! What's a gal to do? Trust me when I say TMIF.
Get the jobs done and the blown tire is totally bald. Check left tire and it is not long for this world either. So yep I decide there is an issue with my new trailer. This is the second set of tires: Set #1 lasted 3000 miles. This is set #2 (not OEMs) and only 1700 miles. Being Sunday know that tire shops won't be open.
As as I head down the road I'm thinking I missed my coffee...in about an hour, in the middle of nowhere, I see an old bldg. with homemade sign 'espresso'..why not..OMG her coffee was great, conversation better and the BEST was name of her business...MIRAGE...
First WalMart I come to in a couple hours does have one trailer tire...so I get that one mounted on the left. So now I'm running down the road with mismatched shoes...now that is just not how a lady likes to dress. Mismatched shoes are you kidding me?
I get a room in Colorado Springs so that come early a.m. I can find a matching pair. Call 2 WalMarts in that area...and no, absolutely NO, we don't have that tire unless you want to buy it mounted. Call the 3rd and final WalMart. And the man says...did you say you called the WalMarts closest to you and they don't have. Yep. He says that's nuts I manage all the tire depts and they have that tire. Please give me your phone # and a couple minutes. In less than 2 minutes I get a call from the fellow #1 I talked to and amazing. HE FOUND ONE!!!..So I immediately head there and get super service and now the trailer has a new matched pair of classic blacks.
Stopped for a Dutch Bros latte before heading to the top of Pike's Peak. Young man who waited on me was delightful. Found he was originally from Sweet Home, OR. This is his 3rd Dutch Bros location. He is touring the United States working for this company. Spends approximately 1 year in each location...getting to know the area and meeting his needs through a great job. I asked him if he has ever considered owning his own franchise. He shared how that "scared" him. Neat young man...he will go far on his smile alone!!!
Drove up Pike's Peak to the top...wow last time I was on Pike's Peak I was a little girl and the roads were gravel and I just knew my Dad was going to miss a corner and over the edge we would go!!! Now the roads are perfect, well maintained and easy to maneuver. Put another line thru a bucket list item. Studly performed as if there was no altitude change.
At the bottom when I was starting to hook trailer up..2 employees stopped and asked if they could help. I said I really don't need it but would love to let you help and then I can "GPS" your knowledge. So one hooked up the trailer and the skier lined me out on all the back roads to take to see the best sites. It was a wonderful GPS..I wrote down the roads and landmarks to look for.. only made one U turn...heckter the real GPS make more "recalculatings" than that and "she" would never have put me on those amazing roads with those breath taking views. Biggest issue...very few places to pull over and take the pic (oh yea I still haven't mastered my GoPro).
Got into my room at Steamboat Springs, CO about 7 p.m. after a stop at the grocery store for supplies. This is a WorldMark condo so priorities...LAUNDRY...then to the swimming pool.
Well, folks if you love mountains and rock formations and people. (and sometimes NO people...just the mountains and rock formations) then put Colorado on your bucket list.
i will spend a few days .. Also Estes Park region. Yep life is great..
Have a great day and enjoy what you see..
the happy traveler

sorry you missed the most beautiful part of Colorado, Telluride. You were only a couple of hours away when you were in Durango.

Tango
07-01-2014, 11:28 AM
WOW! :yikes: You have had some luck with the trailer tires! NOT!!! Something has to be grossly wrong somewhere. But where? Toe in/out, alignment? Are they even adjustable? :dontknow: Glad your having an awesome trip. :thumbup: Keep the stories coming. Tom :trike:

garb55
07-01-2014, 12:05 PM
What tire pressure are you running in the trailer tires
BRP says 35 but I run 60 in mine
That is what the tire has stamped on it
Don

murphybrown
07-01-2014, 12:42 PM
What tire pressure are you running in the trailer tires
BRP says 35 but I run 60 in mine
That is what the tire has stamped on it
Don

now trying 50...there has to be something I am missing. Others carry much more weight in their 622's. Run harder and faster and get over 10k...Len, Pitbull Pwersport, is also trying to find answer to ???. Besides the premature failure...the right tire always goes first. :helpsmilie:

SpyderAnn01
07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Has anyone checked your wheel bearings or the axle? Something is not right and they need to figure it out sooner rather than later. I'm glad you are having fun despite the tires. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

ARtraveler
07-01-2014, 05:31 PM
You sure do know how to travel and find an adventure. Hang in there.

I think it is time we give the tire issue some attention. 3000 miles or less on a new tire :yikes: Eventually someone is going to get hurt here.

Bob Denman
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Not ever having seen it... :opps:
She's got a trailer with a REAL serious alignment problem! nojoke
Something's been bent!

PW2013STL
07-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Caryl,

What tires were replaced at the Fun Center?

Les

murphybrown
07-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Caryl,

What tires were replaced at the Fun Center?

Les

Les. Those were on the Rt. I never had the trailer looked at. My oems that came with trailer..right one at around 2700. Left at 3000. Tried 3 Spyder dealers between Helena Mt and CDA ID. No one had. So that is why I bought the high run only one I did find in the right size. That is the set I just lost. Only replacements I can sign in Colorado Springs was another set of Hi Runs. So that is what I put on. I am now very concerned that the trailer is not safe. I leave Steamboat Springs on Saturday heading back toward home. Hoping I hear some answers tomorrow morning so I can get this taken care of.

HuckFin
07-02-2014, 01:21 AM
If you have the factory 622 trailer, I understand that they have a independent suspension, as opposed to a straight axle, so alignment could be a real problem getting both wheels pointing the same direction, resulting in early tire wear..... if not set up properly from the factory.

spydaman60
07-02-2014, 04:44 AM
MB the wife and I enjoyed your post immensely! the only thing is ---- retirement can't come soon enough!! oh well, two years and counting.