PDA

View Full Version : Polaris has begun the advertising for the slingshot

ARCTIC
06-30-2014, 11:09 AM
I just got this in an email from Polaris....
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot?wt.mc_id=B43AD90F-3EFE-E311-B7F5-0050569A00BB&wt.mc_ev=email&WT.mc_id=

yamahog
06-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Am curious to see the final product, could be pretty cool if price is right.:chat:

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Well; THAT video really didn't tell us anything... :D
I guess that I'll have to wait for the end of July, to get some real info about this "bike"...
Thanks for keeping us in the loop about this one! :thumbup:

dascrow
06-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Here's another photo http://www.slingshotforums.com/attachments/polaris-slingshot-headlights-jpg.98/

along with a little more information: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/polaris-slingslot-teaser-site-is-live.96/

Woodsrider
06-30-2014, 12:17 PM
I want. I expect it will be far beyond my means though.

NorCalBud
06-30-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm not really seeing the fun or advantage in taking a wheel away from a car, which is what I'm asserting this is.... Perhaps it's lightening the weight, so it can go faster?
But then I've also heard that argument of adding a wheel to a Bike! But with the Spyder the 3rd wheel adds stability, not just style.
I might also be a bit bothered sharing what little territory we've gained in the 3-wheel realm with a cage. I can easily see an escalation in the "You're not riding, you're driving" debate as it relates to the Spyders, when this comes out!

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't see it as competition for the Spyder...
Perhaps the T-Rex, the Stallion, or the Ace-Morgan? :dontknow:

dascrow
06-30-2014, 12:58 PM
I see Polaris going after the T-Rex more then anything. Let's just hope it's much cheaper!

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 01:06 PM
http://www.campagnamotors.com/

The T-Rex sure is a beauty!
It'll be interesting to see how this all sorts out.

ARtraveler
06-30-2014, 01:10 PM
This one will be worth watching and give us a lot to talk about for awhile. :yes:

Lots of things to speculate about.

It sounds and looks (what we can see) like it will be an exciting toy to own for some. I am also thinking that T-Rex and others of similar ilk will be the target here. Also guessing that Polaris will have the price point in a more comfortable place. (New Indians came out at $20K--which was a lot less than anticipated--since they were in the high $30's under previous iterations).

Also guessing that mechanically the new Slingshot will probably be pretty good. Polaris has a quality reputation.

Can't wait to hear more. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

This go around, I am just a looker and won't be a buyer.

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 01:20 PM
But it IS fun; peeking over the fence! 90853

Woodsrider
06-30-2014, 01:50 PM
In North Carolina at least there is no helmet required for a trike that you ride inside vice astride. The engine and 0-60 times tossed about lead me to believe it will be over 30k, but entirely speculation based on limited data.

:popcorn:

acinpcola
06-30-2014, 02:03 PM

:agree: This is no competition for the Spyder. More like a 3 wheel car since it sits 2 across and not inline. Wondering if it will be classified as a car/

AC

Bob Denman
06-30-2014, 02:06 PM
...With less than four wheels; my guess, is that it'll be considered a motorcycle.

sddinnh
06-30-2014, 02:22 PM
...With less than four wheels; my guess, is that it'll be considered a motorcycle.

It better be. That's the whole purpose of these thing is so they don't have to meet the crash resistance and bumper restrictions of cars. They are exploiting the same loophole that allows Spyders to be categorized as motorcycles (or GW trikes for that matter).

Chupaca
06-30-2014, 03:02 PM
The spyder roadster that is. As many three wheelers popping up none are really competition for the spyder..the need for them to try and better whats perfect drives them to another class, be it a leaning scooter or an enclosed car. Many run into unafordable pricing or drawings and concepts that stay there. The sligshot looks good but if they added the fourth wheel it would be awesome. Had a Lotus Super 7 that was much like it and that car was a screamer and stuck to the road like a shadow...will be interesting to see what follows next month...:thumbup:

Vidman
06-30-2014, 04:06 PM
It's a car! In CT it can't be registered cuz you sit IN it. CT law does not allow 3 wheel cars to be registered.

Motorcycle is defined as sitting "ON" it and 3 wheels is allowed.

harrypottar
06-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Supposedly leak patent offices sketches but who knows? Looks like a t-Rex clone

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/02/22/official-patented-sketches-of-polaris-slingshot-sports-car/

Harry

den1953
06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
He's getting the Slingshot as he's a Polaris/Victory dealer as well as BRP/Can Am and a few other brands as well. He was indicating somewhere up near 40 grand for the slingshot. For that kind of money you could have a couple Mazda Miatas with convertible tops and still get the car driving experience with side-by-side seating and a steering wheel.

JerryB
06-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Hi vidman,

Re: In CT it can't be registered cuz you sit IN it. CT law does not allow 3 wheel cars to be registered.

In Oregon ( the last that I knew ), if it has three wheels it is a motorcycle.

Back in the early 60's I was stationed in England and there were a lot of 'motorcycles' that had a lot of features of a car; but they only had three wheels. Thus, they avoided the staggering road taxes.

Jerry Baumchen

Vidman
06-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Hi vidman,

Re: In CT it can't be registered cuz you sit IN it. CT law does not allow 3 wheel cars to be registered.

In Oregon ( the last that I knew ), if it has three wheels it is a motorcycle.

Back in the early 60's I was stationed in England and there were a lot of 'motorcycles' that had a lot of features of a car; but they only had three wheels. Thus, they avoided the staggering road taxes.

Jerry Baumchen

Each state has it's own laws/regulations. Here some go out of state and register vehicles that are not registrable in CT. Then other laws are opened up. Quite a quandary.

We are trying to get 3 wheel motorcycle testing in CT. Using the discrimination against disabled as the reason. It will happen. However, disabled drivers of cars have protection so i don't see the 3 wheel car ruling changing. Many politically connected people have tried but never succeeded. All is subject to change however.

BikerDoc
06-30-2014, 06:40 PM
The sound is certainly interesting

Illinois Boy
06-30-2014, 06:52 PM

Agreed...:thumbup:

SPYD3R
06-30-2014, 06:59 PM
YAWN.......................................... :dontknow:

otter28169
06-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Of course it would be ridiculously expensive:banghead:

Why would anyone make something for the masses. I guess it is true, why sell a million $1.00 apples if someone is willing to buy one $1,000,000 apple.

If they want to really compete, they need to make it faster, or cheaper, because the thirty thousand dollar toy market is already pretty full.

Just sayin'...........

daveinva
06-30-2014, 07:23 PM
My guess is cheaper than a T-Rex, more modern than a Morgan, more practical than a Scorpion, and more real than an Elio.

It should fill quite a niche. :thumbup:

spydermyke990
06-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Looks more like a cross between the t-Rex and KTM's X-Bow. Basically another "car". I'll keep my spyder.:spyder2:

asp125
06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Hmm.. looks like it may be a fun track day toy. In the same mold as the Ariel Atom, KTM XBow .. that market.

Netminder
06-30-2014, 08:29 PM
:agree: Looks more like it is in the T-Rex class, being side by side!

oldguyinTX
06-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Just like a :ani29: is ridiculously expensive. Who's to say which is the better deal in the long term? Personally, I have had a lot of problems with my :ani29:, and it was ridiculously expensive. Going to the dealer tomorrow on a tow truck. Died on us on a Sunday ride, towed home 85 miles. Can't compare apples to oranges.

Grandpa Pete
06-30-2014, 09:16 PM
This makes me think of a 3 wheeled ariel atom.....with a hiyabusa in the back

C3517C
06-30-2014, 09:48 PM
I think from Polaris point of view, they took ATV's and made them side by side vehicles, and it worked out well for them. Now Spyders have become popular, so they'll make them side by side as well. I'm guessing it will probably go well for them. They have a history of making good products, I have 4 of them. As far as I'm concerned, its a 3 wheel car. Should be fun to watch this play out though.

sledmaster
07-01-2014, 08:05 AM
There was something on this vehicle a while back in SnowTech Magazine (snowmobile technology). It makes sense for Polaris to do something different like this. Where the Spyder was BRP's entry into the street-legal market with a safer motorcycle, Polaris already has street-legal bikes so for them to come with a Spyder clone would cannibalize their own Victory and Indian sales. So instead, they apply their popular side-by-side layout and go after a different crowd.

I do not see this vehicle taking much away from bike or Spyder sales, very little. I believe it would not appeal much to those who ride sleds, bikes, ATVs, or PWCs. The appeal would more likely be to current side-by-side ATV owners (which Polaris OWNS the market share in) and seeing how this is a sit-in vehicle with a steering wheel, they could be going after some convertible owners.

The main benefit of the three-wheel configuration is getting around the automotive crash and safety regulations, so legally it is going to be considered more of a motorcycle, which is kind of funny. The Spyder is a safer motorcycle, where I see this new vehicle from Polaris being a less safe car. Sitting this low, it will hide behind other vehicles and it will be hard for other drivers to see it.

The driving experience is going to be far more go-kart like, as you will drive it instead of ride it. You sit in it, not sit on it. It will be far less rider (driver) interactive. But, it will be fun to drive. The concept of having a cross between a go-kart and a convertible in a three-wheel arrangement is pretty cool. My guess is the popularity of the Spyder got under the skin of the brass at Polaris and, looking into the Spyder patents and their own product lines, this was the way for them to go.

The key will be the retail pricing. My guess is 30 grand. Sounds like it has a GM 2.4 litre Eco-tech (too close to E-TEC?) engine with about 200 HP. At this price it might never be more than a boutique vehicle, but who knows, with ATV side-by-sides going for almost $20,000 what is another ten grand for that crowd?

Also of curiosity, in this thread was a post by a member "dascrow". This just happens to be the same name as the administrator of the slingshotforums.net website. Interesting.

ARCTIC
07-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Also of curiosity, in this thread was a post by a member "dascrow". This just happens to be the same name as the administrator of the slingshotforums.net website. Interesting.

Very observant....... Someone is waiting impatiently for their product to drop so they're doing some sleazy trolling to kill time:roflblack:

sddinnh
07-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Personally, IF I was going to buy a similar vehicle, I'd go for the Morgan. I saw one up in Vermont last week and it has a really neet "retro" look and was well finished. I talked with the guy who owned it and he said they run $50,000, which seems a little steep to me for a toy, but then again. what do I know. I'd probably go for the Miata at that point.

dascrow
07-07-2014, 11:03 AM
New video was released today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acZNQf5sevk
A few more photos posted: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/new-slingshot-teaser-video-is-live.112/

daveinva
07-07-2014, 10:14 PM
... annnd spy photo! :thumbup:

PistonBlown
07-08-2014, 06:37 AM
What a missed opportunity - It would have been nice to have a competitor to the Spyder rather than a supped up, reversed, Robin Reliant.

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 06:46 AM
A "Reliant"?? :shocked:

That's just a little bit beyond cruel... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSaIv_5-Mho

PistonBlown
07-08-2014, 06:55 AM
I had a mate with a Reliant. 3 times he gave me a lift and every time it ended up on it's side and we had to push it back on it's wheels.

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Think of it as anaerobic weight training, and a good excuse for him to buy the next round... :cheers:
(After all; he would have JUST had you in another car crash! :D)

ARCTIC
07-08-2014, 08:23 AM
... annnd spy photo! :thumbup:

Sadly it's just as ugly as the early sketches were

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 08:55 AM
I kind of like the wheels... :D
But those low-profile tires aren't going to ride smoothly. :shocked:

mindman
07-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Polaris sure knows how to peak interest huh? :popcorn:

daveinva
07-08-2014, 09:18 AM
I kinda like it, especially if the price is right. As much as I'd love a T-Rex, X-bow, Scorpion, Morgan-- especially a Morgan-- etc., they're all far too rich a price for me for a toy. If this thing is sub-$25K, it would be a real steal.

Of course, if I've got $25K burning a hole in my pocket, there are other toys I'd buy first. But if I lived someplace where I could drive this for more than six months a year, I could have a lot of fun with it. :D

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I kind of prefer the Ace Morgan as well... 91214
I figure that I'm just ONE correct PowerBall ticket away from owning one! :roflblack:

Woodsrider
07-08-2014, 01:22 PM
I kinda like it, especially if the price is right. As much as I'd love a T-Rex, X-bow, Scorpion, Morgan-- especially a Morgan-- etc., they're all far too rich a price for me for a toy. If this thing is sub-$25K, it would be a real steal.

Of course, if I've got $25K burning a hole in my pocket, there are other toys I'd buy first. But if I lived someplace where I could drive this for more than six months a year, I could have a lot of fun with it. :D

I'll get my prognostication in early and say 'starting at 38k USD'.

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Time will tell... :D
Tick... Tick... Tick... :shocked:

otter28169
07-08-2014, 02:58 PM
It looks hideous in that spy photo. I think that any interest I may have had is waning:(. My guess is 32k.

Just sayin'............

ARCTIC
07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
My guesstimation is $26,395

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 04:48 PM
:shocked: 45K...
There's a lot of development dollars sitting there... and a small target audience!

ARCTIC
07-08-2014, 06:09 PM
:shocked: 45K...
There's a lot of development dollars sitting there... and a small target audience!

hey bob,
Friendly wager????? $1 per thousand (whoever is closest) and $35,700 is middle number where we breakeven between $26,395 and $45,000

ARtraveler
07-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I am thinking lower pricing rather than higher. They would sell more if lower end of spectrum. Also, note when they re-introduced the Indian, they actually brought it into the market at a price where the average person could actually buy one. They are not trying to recoup their money on the first bikes sold.

Indian came in at $20K ballpark.

ARCTIC
07-08-2014, 06:20 PM
I am thinking lower pricing rather than higher. They would sell more if lower end of spectrum. Also, note when they re-introduced the Indian, they actually brought it into the market at a price where the average person could actually buy one. They are not trying to recoup their money on the first bikes sold.

Indian came in at $20K ballpark.

I think I have a good number.

Bob Denman
07-08-2014, 06:23 PM
I HOPE that you do...
But I fear that I'll be closer to the mark, than anybody would want me to be! :gaah:
July 27th...

ARtraveler
07-08-2014, 06:26 PM
I HOPE that you do...
But I fear that I'll be closer to the mark, than anybody would want me to be! :gaah:
July 27th...

To snarf one of your favorite quotes: " Tick, Tick, Tick..." :roflblack:

jScotD
07-08-2014, 06:48 PM
what's retail?:yikes:

ARtraveler
07-08-2014, 07:06 PM
what's retail?:yikes:

If $20K is wholesale--then retail would be a bit north of that. How far? that is the big question. :roflblack:

Princeau99
07-08-2014, 07:29 PM
I kind of prefer the Ace Morgan as well... 91214
I figure that I'm just ONE correct PowerBall ticket away from owning one! :roflblack:

I always liked the Morgan style.

jScotD
07-08-2014, 09:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CvVr9jU4I0

PistonBlown
07-09-2014, 04:54 AM
Now the Morgan 3 wheeler I do like. But obviously it would have to be green, with NZRAF roundels on the side and a couple of Lewis guns mounted on the bonnet.

OJ UK
07-09-2014, 06:08 AM
If the Spyder had to go I'd buy a Morgan even at the £34,000 odd they cost!

I mean just look at this thing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg25Oit3AI

spacetiger
07-09-2014, 06:17 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I am not beholding.

daveinva
07-09-2014, 06:47 AM
Eh, I admit that I don't find the Spyder all that attractive, either. Oh, I love it *now*, but when they first came out I had ZERO interest in them purely based on its looks. Didn't see the appeal.

But, as the song goes, never make a pretty woman your wife... :p

(Don't tell my GF!!)

As for the Slingshot-- the big advantage here is that Polaris is not a boutique outfit. So, comparing it with competing niche 3-wheel manufacturers is (hopefully) a fool's errand. I can't imagine they're not SERIOUSLY focused on keeping the price low in order to establish a marketplace for these.

But, we shall all see soon enough!

Bob Denman
07-09-2014, 06:48 AM
If the Spyder had to go I'd buy a Morgan even at the £34,000 odd they cost!

I mean just look at this thing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg25Oit3AI

They ARE prettier than a smiling puppy; that's for sure! :D :2thumbs:

ARCTIC
07-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Eh, I admit that I don't find the Spyder all that attractive, either. Oh, I love it *now*, but when they first came out I had ZERO interest in them purely based on its looks. Didn't see the appeal.

But, as the song goes, never make a pretty woman your wife... :p

(Don't tell my GF!!)

As for the Slingshot-- the big advantage here is that Polaris is not a boutique outfit. So, comparing it with competing niche 3-wheel manufacturers is (hopefully) a fool's errand. I can't imagine they're not SERIOUSLY focused on keeping the price low in order to establish a marketplace for these.

But, we shall all see soon enough!

I agree that spyders are weird looking machines too. It's very functional and I'm having fun with it but it won't win any beauty pageants.

Unless the slingshot has some crazy performance attributes, I see a Jeep as more functional and probably close in price point. I contemplated getting one instead of this spyder but the fun factor of riding with other bikers swayed me to stay with the spyder. Everyone around here has a bike and mostly Harley's